Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

War For Millennium

Strange days. Lut, well-known administrator of our own forums and said to be the new Jesus Christ incarnation, is in trouble, for real. He has to release Doom Millennium by May 08 (yes, in 27 days as of today). Why would he have to release this regularly delayed project? Here is what he says on the Millennium page:

I got a mail from some old designers, the same ones whose maps I've been working on the past months. Apparently they are "getting sick of waiting", if I "dont relase Doom Millennium within a month", they "will all release our own Millenium levels in our mini episode without notice to you, we dont even care if we release our little episode and Millennium comes out the next day."
For those that don't know, it's important to realize that they "own" basically half the project, and if they do what they say, Millennium comes crashing down.

Lut is now asking for every talented people to join the project for the next 3 weeks:

If you're one of the people who doesn't want to see Millennium end up as bunch of mini-episodes scattered around FTP sites, then you can help me out. I need mappers, sprite artists and sound people. There really isn't much to be done, and the more the merrier. Anybody who can take 2-3 weeks off from whatever projects they're busy with (or needs a break from them or whatever), please please please let me know immediately. This is not a long term commitment of any kind. Once the 3 weeks is up, all commitments are terminated, finished or not.

Time to show what the word community means? Go and help Lut, you know you want to.

What exactly needs to be done on the levels?

[edit]
Heh, why don't I ask that on IRC?
[/edit]

Julian said:

Lut, well-known administrator of our own forums and said to be the new Jesus Christ incarnation...

Pffft....yeah right....and even if he was, I'd regard him as a mental case.

are have there been so many projects that ask Doomworld readers to finish it? Kind of lazy don't you think.

i'd help if i could, but i have like, no experience with editing of any sort... no time or patience, unfortunately, so all i can contribute is my well-wishing.

personally i think they're being immature about it. sure, it's taken a good long while to finish up but the project is in the home stretch. to start acting like this NOW is the height of childishness. lut has a life too. i think pretty much all of us have a life in some form or other, and we like to spend time with those people in our houses who call themselves our families.

every time i think that doom has one of the most respectable communities, something like this happens. i still think this is a respectable community, but my view has been marred time and time again.

pah.

lut needs the help from you mappers hes so close in having mellenuim finished...experienced mappers are a must have in his project...i cant wait to see it when its done...

I'd rather have a bunch of well designed mini episodes that a botched megawad. Why is does everyone have to be obsessed with making megawads? (I'm not specifically criticising Millenium, just the community in general - Millenium does seem to have the resources to go all the way.)

This deadline sounds like a great idea if it whips up support for getting the project finished - and it it doesn't we get the results released anyway just in smaller chunks. Don't release it if it's too rushed though, quality matters...

Good luck with the final push guys; I'd help out if it wasn't for an engine mod...

boris said:

What exactly needs to be done on the levels?

Not much, really. The only from-scratch levels I'd need are some small goofy secret maps. I'm not looking for new main levels, only some touchups, refurnishing and eyecandy added to already-existing and totally playable maps.

Law said:

are have there been so many projects that ask Doomworld readers to finish it? Kind of lazy don't you think.

Throw yourself out a window.

Erik said:

Hehe, wonder if Ebola will spank me if I join in on this :P

I'll spank Ebola if he even thinks about it :P

MORBIDTWATT said:

mellenuim

Wow, that's the worst butchering of the name I've seen since... since the last time I talked to you :P

cphipps said:

I'd rather have a bunch of well designed mini episodes that a botched megawad. Why is does everyone have to be obsessed with making megawads?

In the case of Millennium, the maps are all tied together with a specific story and new features in mind. Releasing them outside of Millennium rapes them of it's features and uniquity.

cphipps said:

Don't release it if it's too rushed though, quality matters...

Like I said, we're only trying to touch up existing resources. They either get worked on now or never. As long as nothing takes a step backward (which I guarantee it won't), it'll only get better. Maybe not perfect, maybe not up to my standards, but as good as it will ever get.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that the other authors (besides these 3) will finish or even release their maps if I disbanded the project: not the case. They've long gone. Remember that's the reason I'm asking for help in the first place. It would be up to me to release their mini-episodes, and as long as they're not part of my project, I wouldn't care how they look or play and just release them as-is. So it's for the best that they stay in the project and I don't have to dump them into mini-wads on 3Darchives.

Anyway, thanks for the help everybody =)

So far the recovery is looking really great.

Time to show what the word community means?

No, that was freedoom, and look what happened there

Vorpal said:

Probably a cheap scheme thought up by Lüt.

Yes, I'm the scum of the earth remember?

Jon said:

Heh, well this time the project is 90% complete, not being started from scratch :P HYOOGE difference there ;)

Lüt said:

Heh, well this time the project is 90% complete, not being started from scratch :P HYOOGE difference there ;)

i think millennium is the one project that i'm really waiting for this year. may you have the luck of the drunken irishman who manages to walk 5 miles at night without falling into a ravine and killing himself.

Jon said:

The "easy" stuff is finished now. And I guess people are now too lazy to work on the more complex stuff (enemies, maps...). At least I know I am ;) BUT I WILL FINISH ERR... START MAP02!!?)$?=)$=§)$=

Lut:

I would like to help (mapping wise) but I'm not sure If I have the skills as a mapper to do so.

but drop me a line if you think theres anything I can do...

I would help if I had any experience in those areas, but sadly I don't.
I just want Millenium to be finished and ready in .zip file format, ready for download.
BTW, is there a storyline for Millenium?
And how big will the .zip be?

DooMBoy said:

BTW, is there a storyline for Millenium?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Wildman is cooking something up, so it's bound to be good ;)

And how big will the .zip be?

Well, my most recent beta zip is over 7 MB, and it'll probably get bigger seeing how that was only a beta.

boris said:

The "easy" stuff is finished now. And I guess people are now too lazy to work on the more complex stuff (enemies, maps...). At least I know I am ;) BUT I WILL FINISH ERR... START MAP02!!?)$?=)$=§)$=

I might work on a map if you're desperate enough.

Vorpal said:

Probably a cheap scheme thought up by Lüt. Remember last time?

Even if it is, then who cares? It means Millennium is coming out!

If you are a mapper and want to put yourself to good use, and have your map with a bunch of others etc. in freedoom then read the docs on the site and submit something :) All help is greatly appreciated. Make sure you understand what the terms are for the wad though

I might be able to help, just not at this very moment. I'm basically a level maker and collector of midis as well as graphics. (I got around 2 GB of PWADs, not counting everything else.) I really want to see Millennium released as a complete project. I've been waiting more than a year now. I'd like to know specifically what needs to be done to finish Millennium (i.e., what maps need tweaking, what kind of tweaking, music that needs to be changed, etc, etc.) You can either email me with the specs or post it on this thread.

Heh. Now I get all those jokes floating around about how Lüt is under pressure and all.

I should visit this forum more often.

the_Danarchist said:

I should visit this forum more often.

Or read the DW top story.

I'd like to help with maps but unfortunately waded has it's limits (only 3090 sidedefs)...

Lüt said:

The only from-scratch levels I'd need are some small goofy secret maps.

Oooh, mememememe!

I am the ultimate at making small goofy secret maps.

I can't help due to Real Life, but good luck, and i'm hoping to see it as a megawad.