Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

25 great skyscrapers: icons of construction

Minnesota has a skycrapper.

A two-story outhouse, that is. I was there a couple of weeks ago.

North Dakota has this big fucker of a mast:

I would have gone to see that a while back, but it would have added about an hour's drive onto what was already a 7-hour journey.

Grazza said:

I saw a video once filmed from the helmet of a guy who was doing maintenance or something right at the top of a huge mast like that. Might not have been that exact one, but was bloody massive, cringeworthy stuff.

And here it is! Given the number of views, some here may have seen it before.

Watching them go up is almost difficult, but imagine having to watch them go back down. That would be the hardest part.

Grazza said:

(Image)

I would have gone to see that a while back, but it would have added about an hour's drive onto what was already a 7-hour journey.

I get to see the KVLY Mast every time I drive to Fargo or Bismarck. A couple times in particular, I've taken detours to get close to it. Awesome stuff (well, for ND anyway).

What confuses me about skyscrapers is how they assemble those huge cranes they use, especially if they're on top. I saw the beginning of one of those being assembled at the bottom of a construction site once. They were using a large mobile crane to do it, but it didn't look like the mobile crane would be anywhere near tall enough to finish assembling the stationary one. I suspect I'm missing something clever and straight forward.

Entry 22: 30 St. Mary Axe, London

I've never heard of or seen this building before this thread, then the same night, I saw it featured predominantly in several aerial scenes in a randomly-selected movie on Netflix. Is this akin to the phenomenon that suggests "when you hear a word for the first time, you will hear it again within 24 hours?"

I had also heard the word "dynamometer" for the first time earlier in the same day, then heard it a few hours later in an unrelated context. While the concept of a dynamometer is not exactly mind-blowing, I'd never heard a specific word put to the device involved.

On topic, these buildings are pretty cool.

:v

Edit: I've seen that tower-climbing POV video a few times, and I can never watch it to the end. I start feeling sick a few minutes in, and I'm not even especially afraid of heights. Maybe it's the fish-eye lens.

"The Shard, London

Cost to build: $666 million."

Oh god, I bet they are doing some portal experiments in there! We must stop them before it is too late! Prepare to load your supershotguns and BFGs

Megalyth said:

Is this akin to the phenomenon that suggests "when you hear a word for the first time, you will hear it again within 24 hours?"

I had also heard the word "dynamometer" for the first time earlier in the same day, then heard it a few hours later in an unrelated context. While the concept of a dynamometer is not exactly mind-blowing, I'd never heard a specific word put to the device involved.

Maybe you have to hear a word twice within 24 hours before you remember it in most cases.

Aliotroph? said:

What confuses me about skyscrapers is how they assemble those huge cranes they use, especially if they're on top. I saw the beginning of one of those being assembled at the bottom of a construction site once. They were using a large mobile crane to do it, but it didn't look like the mobile crane would be anywhere near tall enough to finish assembling the stationary one. I suspect I'm missing something clever and straight forward.

They start building themselves! Apparently some can climb up higher via hydraulics, too.