Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

Questions about Wolfenstein 3D

hi, i have a copy of Wolfenstein 3D that shows a PG13 logo before displaying the menu... I noticed the blood splash from enemies looks like red floating cotton, is it suppose to be like that or is there a non PG13 version out there with no violent removed?? the games and the maps itself show Nazi symbols, like swastika, and Hitler.

hope to hear from you guys!!
cheers!!!

p.s funny, When i was young, I didn't know the Nazi symbol was a reverse Chinese word ;)

There was no automap in the original DOS version, you had to use your memorization skills to get around the levels.

Wolfenstein was "voluntarily rated" PC-13, for "Profound Carnage." It is already as violent as it ever will be, assuming nobody makes a "Brutal Wolfenstein" mod.

WildWeasel said:

Wolfenstein was "voluntarily rated" PC-13, for "Profound Carnage." It is already as violent as it ever will be, assuming nobody makes a "Brutal Wolfenstein" mod.

you know what, this is actually a really good idea!! better ask Sergeant_Mark_IV for it :)

WildWeasel said:

Don't give Sgt. Mark any ideas on how to crash the Wolf 3D engine.

keithktam said:

you know what, this is actually a really good idea!! better ask Sergeant_Mark_IV for it :)

Ketchup Gore mod works partially with the Wolfenstein 3D TC for Zdoom, spawning the new blood and decals when you shoot enemies. It just takes someone to edit the enemies to spawn the new gibs. Voalaa, Brutal Wolfenstein 3D.

Try and put Brutal Wolf3d in the tiny confines of the original DOS Wolf3D source code.

printz said:

Try and put Brutal Wolf3d in the tiny confines of the original DOS Wolf3D source code.

yeah, i think the best way to do this is to use the doom engine instead... I just discovered there is a real good Wolfenstein TC for Doom 2 called WolfenDoom (I know i am a late comer) that might do the job, but if you don't like Wolfendoom then you might have to convert everything to create a Doom Wad which is a pretty daunting task unless you are like that guy who created the above TC, real dedicated chap!!

Mr. Chris said:

There was no automap in the original DOS version, you had to use your memorization skills to get around the levels.

I don't think i can ever finish a level without the automap... cause one any particular level, there would be a lot of similar place and everything is formed from cubical shape instead of Doom where it can support room with different shape... I would give thumb for you all old timer, I just get lost and feel frustrated even with the map is on...

hi, another one(been digging back the past :) )...

ok, this time the secret wall mechanics!! I was playing the second episode of Spear of Destiny (Return to Danger), the one start with submarine pen?? ok, my problem is that on Submarine Pen 4, I guess i pushed the wall in a wrong direction, I got trapped and had to reload a last saved, pretty close call i may say...so my question is that could one be literally trapped in Spear of Destiny??

I am playing with NewWolf, and has been using the automap from the start(i didn't know I was cheating...), so I can see all the secret spot, just didn't know this can be my own undoing... as i noticed if the walls are pushed in different way, passages could be blocked or opened!!

cheers!!

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Ketchup Gore mod works partially with the Wolfenstein 3D TC for Zdoom, spawning the new blood and decals when you shoot enemies. It just takes someone to edit the enemies to spawn the new gibs. Voalaa, Brutal Wolfenstein 3D.

I dare you to crash Vanilla Wolf 3D by making it as gory as Brutal Doom.

keithktam said:

yeah, i think the best way to do this is to use the doom engine instead... I just discovered there is a real good Wolfenstein TC for Doom 2 called WolfenDoom (I know i am a late comer) that might do the job, but if you don't like Wolfendoom then you might have to convert everything to create a Doom Wad which is a pretty daunting task unless you are like that guy who created the above TC, real dedicated chap!!

Joking aside, you can make Brutal Wolf on ECWolf. It's as close to the Doom modding model as you can get.

And no, making Wolf total conversions for the Doom engine isn't worth it IMO. None of the Wolfendoom-like mods impressed me, they felt too much like Doom with skin-deep Wolfenstein look. I think ZDoom is trying harder to emulate it with A_WolfAttack. Even so, I don't feel like seeing Wolfenstein graphics imported into Doom, they look washed out in dim light.

Is there such thing as a Wolf 3D level editor similar to Doom Builder? I'd like to make something simpler than Doom with its newfangled diagonal lines and Z axis.

Not really. All the PC map editors are focused on emulating mapedit to some degree. To be fair, basic wolfenstein mapping is really simple. You have your palette of textures, floor codes, and objects and you just paint your level. It becomes more of pain when it comes to more advanced features though.

Recommended editors are either HWE (Havok's Wolf Editor) or WDC (Wolfenstein Data Compiler).

Is it just easier to make maps out of 128x128 blocks in Doom Builder and use the Wolfenstein textures/get a Wolf texture pack when I know all the basics of how to use it like making doors and switches?

No. Mapping for Wolf3D is easier. You can learn it in an afternoon and bang out maps at ludicrous speed that look as good as id's.

Aliotroph? said:

No. Mapping for Wolf3D is easier. You can learn it in an afternoon and bang out maps at ludicrous speed that look as good as id's.

Mapping for wolf3d is easier than playing minecraft: You basically draw a 2d map with lego blocks. =P

Aliotroph? said:

Yeah, and the last thing we need are more Wolf mods for Doom. ECWolf exists now, go make some cool shit for the original game!

Mr. Chris said:

Actually there was a primitive automap (actually, a complete map of the current level) only accessible through cheat codes. Damn memory, you still good ;-)

Edit: apparently, even as a debugging feature, the map was taken out starting from Wolfenstein 3D v1.1. Pity.