Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenCaco

GZDoom Builder VS. Doom Builder

GZDOOM BUILDER:
PROS:
-Enhanced lighting effects in visual mode.
-Move your mouse cursor to determine where the camera is.

CONS:
-No skulltag . . . anything.

DOOM BUILDER:
PROS:
-Support for skulltag and a bunch of other ports.
-Great for vanilla maps

CONS:
-No lighting in VM
-No pre-installed plugins
-No enhanced (G)Zdoom features

~GreenCaco - New Member

Obsidian said:

GZDoom Builder cons: walls have no flags set.

Of course they do, sometimes they glitch up, though, this also happens in doom builder.

esselfortium said:

GZDoom Builder is great in theory, though its incredibly poor performance on my computer is a pretty major downside for me.

Well, no offense, but you have a piece of shit. Have you tried disabling all the lights?

Why not just download the "GZDoom Visual Mode" plugin? I can't remember where it comes from, but it does a damn good job of emulating GZDoom features in regular doombuilder. The only thing is, ALWAYS save before entering it, because it will sometimes hard crash DB for some reason.

Rayzik said:

Why not just download the "GZDoom Visual Mode" plugin? I can't remember where it comes from, but it does a damn good job of emulating GZDoom features in regular doombuilder. The only thing is, ALWAYS save before entering it, because it will sometimes hard crash DB for some reason.

Sounds interesting, but unnecessary. You can just DL GZDoom Builder in two seconds and instantly get a ton of more features.

GreenCaco said:

Well, no offense, but you have a piece of shit. Have you tried disabling all the lights?

The program is poorly optimized. There are no dynamic lights in my maps, GZDB is just significantly slower than Doom Builder 2.

-Move your mouse cursor to determine where the camera is.

If you press ctrl+w you can move the camera thing to wherever your mouse cursor is.

esselfortium said:

The program is poorly optimized. There are no dynamic lights in my maps, GZDB is just significantly slower than Doom Builder 2.

Works as fast as DB2 does for me.

Rayzik said:

On a side note, I've noticed that you lose your work if you go in the Visplane Explorer before saving a new map. Also, I've never seen walls with no flags set using Doom Builder. Ever. Except for the one time when I was fixing someone's map that they made in GZDoom Builder.

GreenCaco said:

Sounds interesting, but unnecessary. You can just DL GZDoom Builder in two seconds and instantly get a ton of more features.

How is it unneccesary? It essentially turns standard Doom Builder 2 into GZDoom Builder and retains all the extra features on Doom Builder 2.

GZDoom Builder is nice, I guess. If you want to work on GZDoom maps.
And... GZDoom maps...

Rayzik said:

How is it unneccesary? It essentially turns standard Doom Builder 2 into GZDoom Builder and retains all the extra features on Doom Builder 2.

GZDoom Builder is nice, I guess. If you want to work on GZDoom maps.
And... GZDoom maps...

I didn't mean to sound like a fanboy... :p

Marcaek said:

If you press ctrl+w you can move the camera thing to wherever your mouse cursor is.

Not only that, but Doom Builder does have lighting in visual mode. Press B to toggle it. (And of course it comes with pre-installed plugins! All the mode functionality is defined in plugins.)

GreenCaco, do your research :P

Obsidian said:

On a side note, I've noticed that you lose your work if you go in the Visplane Explorer before saving a new map. Also, I've never seen walls with no flags set using Doom Builder. Ever. Except for the one time when I was fixing someone's map that they made in GZDoom Builder.

That's human error. That was his fault.

GreenCaco said:

CONS:
-No skulltag . . . anything.

Anyone still using Skulltag? What's wrong with using the Zandronum config and skipping features that aren't supported by 0.98d?

Guest DILDOMASTER666
GreenCaco said:

I have an i5 at 3.7GHz and a 660Ti running at 1.25GHz and GZDoom Builder still runs like shit, what the hell are you talking about

Fisk said:

I have an i5 at 3.7GHz and a 660Ti running at 1.25GHz and GZDoom Builder still runs like shit, what the hell are you talking about

For real? Weird.

The setup I'm currently on is from 2004, with an old AMD Athlon 64 processor and a gig of ram and GZDoom builder runs slick as vaseline.

Anyway, if you want to map for Boom or anything that's not vanilla, hexen or UDMF, GZDoom builder won't allow for that.

Marnetmar said:

Anyway, if you want to map for Boom or anything that's not vanilla, hexen or UDMF, GZDoom builder won't allow for that.

GZDoom Builder has a set of Boom-specific includes, about all that's needed is a port config to go with them.

Does GZDoom Builder show colored sector lighting in UDMF maps in 3D mode yet? I considered using it for the PSX Lost Levels, but it was pretty useless since you could only preview colored sectors in 2D mode, and I preferred the old Hexen format tag + ACS library method anyway.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Does GZDoom Builder show colored sector lighting in UDMF maps in 3D mode yet?

Yeah, it does.

Well I do love using GZDoom Builder, but my only complaint is I cannot add the Skulltag format on that thing. I am as a matter of fact a Skulltag addict.

Still, GZDoom Builder is awesome ;)

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Omegalore said:

Well I do love using GZDoom Builder, but my only complaint is I cannot add the Skulltag format on that thing. I am as a matter of fact a Skulltag addict.

Still, GZDoom Builder is awesome ;)

There is no such thing as "Skulltag format". Copying a ZDoom in UDMF config and adding Skulltag DoomEdNums should work just fine.

Fisk said:

Copying a ZDoom in UDMF config and adding Skulltag DoomEdNums should work just fine.

That second step mightn't be necessary. Most (if not all) of those DoomEdNums are already in Zandronum_common.cfg, I can take a look later to see if any are missing.

GZDoom Builder is a good idea — it improves GZDoom editing by adding what didn't exist in Doom Builder. But I hate the thought that GZDoom Builder may get features that would be very good just for Doom Builder (think Boom, vanilla Doom), but never back-ported there.

Ultimately (and subjectively) I find that level editing stops being fun when it becomes 3D-on-2D.

Also game editor configs are a nightmare. The stock ones provided by Doom Builder are badly outdated if you want to edit UDMF. The UDMF ones provided by Gez at the ZDoom forums are too many and will apparently overwhelm the loader (he says not to copy them all) and will conflict with the other stock configs. You'll get warnings every time you load a level in Doom Builder.

Fisk said:

Really? thats odd, I have an AMD A6 @ 3.6Ghz and a 660 @ 1006MHz and it runs fine on my computer

I have an Intel Core i3 @ 2.4GHz, and for a graphics card Integrated Intel GMA. GZDoom Builder runs fine.
Oh and despite the great additions to visual mode in GZDoom Builder, it still doesn't show vertex slopes, annoyingly.

Annoyingly, the computer I have to use for GZDoom (CPU 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GTX 660) can't run GZDoom Builder.
Proper playtesting is a pain in the ass.

Eris Falling said:

Oh and despite the great additions to visual mode in GZDoom Builder, it still doesn't show vertex slopes, annoyingly.

?

Yes it does. I think there's a key to toggle slopes and other effects.