DOOM Press Release Beta - Making Custom Maps

Hi, i was expermenting the Doom Press Release Version from October 1993
it had diffrences like diffrent Lost Souls and stuff

Its possible to create maps into the Press Release
Even though its only useful on 3 Demo Levels and stuff

The only problem im experiancing was
I made walls and it goes through them like Noclip or something
How do i fix those
idk or is there a diffrent editor or a Windows Version of DoomEd besides NeXTStep

If i were able to fix the walls problem then i can complete some levels and stuff ;)

Any Help?

I don't believe it's possible to make custom maps for the press release beta. I don't think you can use its resources in other maps either simply because of how much different the WAD format is.

Also, Doom Builder is the editor of choice around these parts.

As for the walls problem, how exactly are you creating walls?

This may be the problem
The oringinal levels looks the same but works
but its the same on my Test Map and then Noclips on the Linedefs/Walls
I was using Doom Builder too :/

Yadex claims support for all the alpha/beta releases. And indeed, it's possible to edit a map like this:

$ yadex -g doompr -i9 ~/dos/doomprb/doompres.wad
yadex: e e1m2
For fun, I added a rocket launcher right in front of the player starts and also deleted some vertices from one of those big columns (to make it into a square shape instead of an octagon. Then I exited yadex, ran the map through bsp, and reloaded that in yadex, just like any other PWAD. Then I used the "build" command to create a new IWAD (note: that command is inherited from DEU 5.21, so look in that package for its documentation):
$ bsp e1m2.wad
$ yadex -g doompr -i9 ~/dos/doomprb/doompres.wad tmp.wad
yadex: b foo.wad
Building a new Main Wad file "foo.wad" (size approx 10 MB)
Note: yadex lies about the size. foo.wad is actually 5468456 bytes. That "10 MB" thing is probably just a hardcoded string...

Anyway, then I overwrote my original doompres.wad with foo.wad, and tried to play. That's when it got interesting... My rocket launcher was right there, but I couldn't pick it up. Some zombies started shooting at me, but their shots were harmless (as were mine). The column I changed was indeed square though. Unfortunately, I could walk right through the walls, but not exactly as in noclip mode, because I fell down into the computer maze and couldn't walk back out (its floor is lower than the start area by 40 units - too tall to climb up). Some imps were also shooting through the walls, and their shots were harmless too. But eventually, after wandering around a bit, I was killed by one imp from his melee attack... I also tried to play the other levels, and the second one didn't work (exits to DOS with "E2M5 not found") but the third one works perfectly.

So it seems there are several things wrong here. Maybe bsp didn't build the nodes properly for the beta version, and that explains the clipping problems. And maybe the "build" command in Yadex partially overwrote the second map, or at least its directory entry. Actually, I just checked with "lswad doompres.wad |grep ^E" and it only sees E1M2 and E3M2...

Sounds like there's something up with the blockmap, from the described symptoms. Make sure it's valid, first (ie. not 0 bytes).

This shows size of lumps. It's not empty, but maybe the contents are wrong:[code]$ lswad -s tmp

xbryan2000x said:

Yandex is a editor for Linux is there anything that can edit Beta Levels in Windows :/

Or something like that?

Well we THOUGHT, up to now at least, that the only difference between the pre-beta and release map formats is the presence of the REJECT lump. So it ought, in theory, to be possible to build a level that will run in the pre-beta in any editor.

But now I have to question that. We haven't eliminated the chance there's something wrong with the data though. Garbage in, garbage out philosophy.

Hmm, is there some way to fix the Blockmap or something
so i can get the wall noclip crap away :/

I did try looking for it its better for a Guide of something idk

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=9895

This TC can play like the Press Release (except the BFG Weapon though)
All you do is go to the menu
Options --> General --> Arrow Right Next and then
WAD #1 BETAGRPH.WAD
WAD #2 BETALEVL.WAD

It could be playable on multiplayer it seems
but make sure every player is using those WADS otherwise it wont work :/

xbryan2000x said:

Hmm, is there some way to fix the Blockmap or something
so i can get the wall noclip crap away :/

I did try looking for it its better for a Guide of something idk

I'd suggest trying to build the same map in Doom Builder 2 and then if it also doesn't work, it's time for some reverse engineering to figure out what's going on. (I happen to be very good at it).

Don't take the level you already have and try to load it into DB2. The chance it might be corrupt is enough to dismiss doing that. For this to be a proper scientific experiment, you need to build an entirely new map.

I tried Doom Builder 2 and made a new map until this happend when i ran EASYDOOM.BAT aka NEWDOOM.EXE

P_PlayerInSpecialSector: unknown special -1
Doom Press Release Verison FakeDate by Lee Killough
FakeDate uninstalled.

hmm
It may need some reverse engineering or something :/