Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
miko508

Discs Sealed Within Registered Doom?

I actually yelled when I didn't win this auction, but then I realized that I'm not even sure if the discs came like this in the registered version of Doom:

http://tinypic.com/r/25yznv4/5

Were the discs sealed like this in the registered version of Doom? Thanks in advance for any input!

It used to be common practice for software publishers to seal disks in plastic or paper envelopes as a basic form of copy protection, I'd be surprised if id/GTI didn't do so but really don't know.

I want to say I remember my discs coming in a plastic bag like that, but that was a seriously long time ago (19 years ago).

Thanks for the input, guys!

Has anyone come across a sealed copy of the registered version of Doom? That would be one way to check, by rattling the box around (not that one would want to do so).

Maybe it was done to prevent condensation from forming on the disks and damaging them during transit. Sitting in a warehouse followed by sitting in a truck could not have been the best environment for diskettes.

miko508 said:

Has anyone come across a sealed copy of the registered version of Doom? That would be one way to check, by rattling the box around (not that one would want to do so).

Dusty probably has one, but he's not often on the forums. You could try dropping him a PM or email.

Cannot see your pic because that site advertises too much for my dial-up modem, it never gets around to the pic.

My copy of Collectors Edition Doom came in a box, with three hardshell
clamshells inside.

Around that time there were many variations, and with any release they could have used a different reproduction company with a different casing.
From what I remember, there were hard shell cases with paper Docs, and Paper envelopes with docs on the cdrom. I cannot actually visualize Doom in Paper except maybe a shareware version, but remember Descent that way.

I do not remember Doom in the soft vinyl carriers either.
I bought a bunch of those vinyl things and still have most of them.
A couple of distributions from around that time used those, and some would force you to cut them open. They were also used to put cdroms in the back of magazines, and ones with flaps can be bought cheap at the dollar store.

It was common practice with some to lose the box, and the hardshells took up room too, so people would put discs into a soft vinyl carry case meant for music collections. The hardshells were often broken after a couple weeks, so it would not be unusual for a substitute to be used.

They all were to protect against scratches during shipping.
Truck vibration could turn that nice shiny data surface into a spotty matte finish after rubbing against the abrasive cardboard liner during shipping.

I'm pretty sure mine came in a box with the disks in it. Not sure if that was Doom or something else, it was so long ago and we got rid of them because they won't work with our new computers, partly because of incompatibility and also because we have no floppy drives.

DOSBox and a USB floppy drive FTW!

wesleyjohnson said:

Cannot see your pic because that site advertises too much for my dial-up modem, it never gets around to the pic.

Try this link instead - it's a 750kB picture of v1.2 on floppies.

Tinypic again, it wants script enabled before it shows anything.

Those size floppies were almost always shipped in baggies.
Every company did it, so I expect the disk reproducer was responsible for collating a set of disks together, and enclosed each set in a plastic bag for shipping to id.
I still got sets like that of Win 3.1.
I probably got a few games in that format too.
The few games that were not in a bag, fit on a single disk, which was loose in the box. Cannot remember better from that long ago.