Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Favourite old game sounds

What are your favourite game sounds from back when Sound Blaster was a thing for rich people and poor people had to use PC speakers so it was all bleepy?

Mine are possibly:
- Various pickup sounds from Wolf 3D, especially the crown (Tingting tiddlyting)
- The chaingun pickup sound from Wolf 3D along with that terrifying face (Brrr BRRRR BRRRRRRRRR >:D )
- Every bleeping sound ever in Duke Nukem
- The RAVE GUN!(TM) firing sound/music from Battlezone (C) whenever it came out (roughly 96 or 97)
- Cacodemon death sound
- Goat/Clan death sound from Diablo 2
- Those hilarious Fallen/variants sounds
- Even more hilarious Rat men/Fetish sounds in Diablo 2
- Cyberdemon walk sound
- Arachnotron death sound, that mechanical hissing sound and its walk sound
- Quake zombie sounds
- Wolf 3D guard dying AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
- WHAT A SHAME. WHAT A ROTTEN WAY TO DIE. THIS IS TERRIBLE. HE WAS A GOOD MAN.
- Blood Phantasm (scary shits)
- Blood Zombie death sound
- Blood fat zombie sounds, especially death
- Battlefield 1942 bullet whizz sound
- Various Duke, Lo Wang and Caleb quotes

The Doom sounds! For a long time I played Doom with only PC speaker sounds. It took a while to get used to the intended sounds.

I have a soft sport for any games (or anything else) that did ambitious things with a PC speaker. Special mention goes to one of those picture-book apps for kids that had a speech synthesizer! It sounded like crap. Was amazing it worked at all.

I remember really liking the the door sounds in either Doom or Wolf3D, but I haven't played with PC speakers in so long that I can't remember which one, or even what the exact sound is. Just that I like it.

Every sound effect from every Capcom and Konami NES game.

Oh and always love the Cacodemon's death sound.

Picking up the gold cross in Wolfenstein 3D:

"Bong... Biddly-biddly beep!"

Bonus points if you pick up a string of them so the sound goes "Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bong... Biddly-biddly beep!"

The "GREAT SCORE" sound from Battlezone.

The PC speaker sound effects for the cyberdemon.

The sound in Lemmings when you'd nuked a level and the lemmings all went pop.

I'm not sure it's "old" enough, but you can't beat UT's "M-M-M-Monster Kill".

Captain Red said:

Picking up the gold cross in Wolfenstein 3D:

"Bong... Biddly-biddly beep!"

Bonus points if you pick up a string of them so the sound goes "Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bong... Biddly-biddly beep!"

Especially the PC sound versions thereof were awesome, heard in a quiet environment.

I can't remember many but mabye the Goldeneye's ar33 and zmg firing sounds, and keycard pickup sound.

Perfect Dark's blue AR and black SMG firing and reload sounds.

The super mushroom groth sound from SMB.

IG-88's sounds from Shadows of the Empire, they certainly made fighting it a bit nerve-racking as I remember, and the train guards death wail.

The cultist loud death scream from Blood (remembered thanks to ASD) it certainly still made me laugh at times.

There was some sounds I enjoyed from Diablo 2 but can't remember which.

Kinda off-topic, but modifying DN3D's USER.CON file to change all chaingun firing sounds to the pistol firing sounds has a very nice result.

Thanks to Philnemba for reminding me of the Cacodemon death sound and Avoozl for reminding me Diablo 2 had some funny ones.

Eris:
How do you edit that and is it possible to do it in the Megaton copy or the original version from GOG.com but using EDuke? (GOG's DOS version won't work, so I needed to get EDuke)

Quake 1 gibbing sounds.

There's a game for ZX Spectrum called "Friday the 13th". It has a nice screaming effect at the title screen. I was impressed, considering it was done with a speaker.

SavageCorona said:

Eris:
How do you edit that and is it possible to do it in the Megaton copy or the original version from GOG.com but using EDuke? (GOG's DOS version won't work, so I needed to get EDuke)

Mine is an old CD so I think the GOG should work. Simply open User.CON with notepad/wordpad and scroll down until you find this. It'll be under weapon sounds.

definesound CHAINGUN_FIRE chaingun.voc
Change chaingun.voc to pistol.voc and you're sorted.

You can take this further and change the sound of other chaingunners to match the pistol's sound. Changing CAPT_ATTACK and BOS1_ATTACK affect the firing sound of the Enforcer and the Battlelord (and his mini-variant) respectively.

Looking at these CON files makes me wish I'd finished DukeDoom. It involved heavy editing of USER.CON and some tweaks to GAME.CON.
Oh well.

I changed their sounds to the shotgun sound, similar to the way Doom used the shotgun sound for its chaingunner/Mastermind sounds and that sounds pretty good.

Pretty much the most glorious old-school game sound I can think of is Wolfenstein 3D's chaingun pickup. It's the weapon so badass, it has its own three-note sting.

-The secret found sound in Quake 1
-Ambient sounds of Quake 1
-Most of the sounds of Commander Keen 4 and 5
-Life chargin of Megaman X1, X2 & X3

Many of the Goldeneye sounds, particularly the weapons and the enemy hit noises.

Some favorites and honorable mentions:

DOS

Alley Cat: When you almost wake up a dog in the dish room.
Keen 1-3: extra life.
Wolf3D: I like the cross pick-up sound which sounds almost like the clip pick-up sound. That E2M10 secret...
Doom: Demon death.
Heretic: Iron Lich active and the scream -ambient sound.
Quake: Zombie gib death.
Duke1: building a bridge with the robot hand.
Duke2: the thumping sound when you use a key and the door lowers.
Duke3D: Duke saying ''eat shit and die'' makes me smile every time I hear it. Also, the reused ROTT sounds when you break stuff (the fan at the start of E1L1 does the broken decoration sound and random objects make out-of-place shattered glass sounds)
Blood: the loud cultist death scream, phantasm -and stone gargoyle deaths and lots of ambient sounds.
Major Stryker: yay.
ROTT: low health -warning.
Terminal Velocity: missiles.
Raptor: lasers fired by enemies and the sound of boss presence.
Hocus Pocus: enemy spawn.
Abuse: ant spawn.

Win

Chip's Challenge: bummer.
Micro Man: taking damage.
Lode Runner - The Legend Returns: getting killed by the monks.

Commander keen: all the extra life sounds.
Dooms weapon pick up.
Super mario world:feather pick up sound.
Duke nukem 3d:Hehe , what a mess...
Legend of Zelda:you got _!
Wolf3d:Yeeeeeeaaaaah!

Pretty much every iD game has sounds burned into my memory, from the health bonus pick up noise from Doom to the sound when you land a hit in Quake III

*DONK!*

Some of my favourites:

- The screech made by the boss from level 8 of Thunder Force IV
- All of the sounds from the Streets of Rage games
- What Sgt_BFG said about id games
- The Mega Drive version of The Terminator had some class sound effects, some of the best on the system.
- TIME BONUS!!