Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomkid's MIDIs - Originals and Tune-ups!

Hey everyone, I've recently added a MIDI section to Doomshack.org!

https://doomshack.org/midi.html

Hopefully this will be useful to some of you. The first two links on that page contain original songs composed by myself and my old band mates specifically for Doom projects, the second link contains tons of MIDI files I found out in the wild and tuned up. Sometimes they had bad instruments, off key sections, other such issues, but were good overall. I figure since most of them were originally transcribed 10+ years ago, the musicians who did so won't mind. Of course, copyright info was all left in tact whenever it was there, but sadly many of the tuned-up MIDIs came with blanks on all the info.

Also, in related news, some community alums and MIDI lovers are currently working on a big repository for the community to upload to and download from. Yay!

Original post from 2013 below:

Hey Doomworlders, I've got all these MIDIs of really popular songs that I either made entirely from scratch or edited very heavily to improve them: some were OK-ish, but badly out of key, etc. They're sitting here on my drive, I figured why not share them? Use them at your leisure - Credit me if you want to be nice!

Songs:

Swedish House Mafia - Don't Worry Child
JKwon - Tipsy
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll [Project X Version]
LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem [original was off key, making the song even worse]
Usher - Love In This Club
And a little trancey D5M1 remix (HITFLOOR.mid's younger brother)

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ryup9v37xws4dh6/Doomkid_MIDI.zip

If you find other versions of these songs online, they're usually pretty butchered. The songs are quite unfitting for, say, an E1 themed wad. But I find songs like this work great in deathmtach maps or other lighthearted Dooming material. In fact, I don't even like 'Party Rock Anthem', improving it was just a fun little task for me to do while mapping. My partner Julia really likes some of these songs and also enjoys FPS games, so putting them into Doom was a given in a sense - now they're sitting around getting dusty! Hope someone gets use outta them :)

Edited by Doomkid

Obsidian said:

Let me know when you're doing deathgrind songs.

That would actually take some time and effort though ;)

This stuff is absurdly simple!

Guest DILDOMASTER666

These midis are of pretty reasonable quality, I like them. As a fellow MIDI composer I appreciate these for what they are, but as I tend to write songs that have tons of instruments and lots of stuff going on, I feel like sometimes these MIDIs feel a little "hollow", but that's just me being picky. Keep it up.

I'm fully in support of this :)

Like Fisk said I find many of them a bit hollow after being used to midi with tons of layered instruments/effects and such, but these were still fun listens. Sometimes a map just calls for a silly/fun midi, so stuff like this is always good to have around.

Thanks for the feedback you guys - If I ever get around to making any more of these, I'll share them around again :)

Please excuse the mega bump, but recently I've been doing a TON of Led Zeppelin MIDI tune-ups, and I figured I should add a MIDI section to Doomshack which it was sorely lacking.

https://doomshack.org/midi.html

Every MIDI related thing I've EVER done can be found here! Some of my old MIDI files have been tuned up and leveled out better within the last week, and some of my old tune-ups from 2013-2015 have been tuned-up yet again, now that I actually am starting to get decent at this MIDI thing. (Back then I was doing all this with Guitar Pro 5, which is a fantastic tool, but Sekaiju just brings the customization to a whole new level)

Hopefully some of you can use these for something interesting!

EDIT: To give you an idea what I mean by tune-ups, you can do some comparison to MIDIs you find elsewhere on the net. For example, my fix to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit is seemingly the only one that uses the correct drum pattern, rather than the common one that uses what I call "smashy drums". That MIDI was even in a bunch of old Doom wads. It's 20 years late, but I just HAD to get those damn drums fixed!

Edited by Doomkid

This is awesome, is there any plan to solicit or open this up for submissions? As I've gotten more comfortable with Sekaiju, I find myself editing most MIDIs that I use or offer as potential resources for projects I'm running. Even when you're working with actual "video game music," it seems like there's often some Doom optimization that can be done. I'm probably sitting on a pretty healthy pile of MIDI stuff at this point, and it would be cool to make it more readily available to people.

I understand that there are also quality control issues with making a big ol' respository, though, just curious!

It's in the works right now actually! Chris Hansen has bought a domain (doommidis.com) and everything. It's still in the testing stage, but it's most certainly in the pipeline!

1 hour ago, Big Ol Billy said:

This is awesome, is there any plan to solicit or open this up for submissions? As I've gotten more comfortable with Sekaiju, I find myself editing most MIDIs that I use or offer as potential resources for projects I'm running. Even when you're working with actual "video game music," it seems like there's often some Doom optimization that can be done. I'm probably sitting on a pretty healthy pile of MIDI stuff at this point, and it would be cool to make it more readily available to people.

I understand that there are also quality control issues with making a big ol' respository, though, just curious!

Feel free to sign up and help us test the site :) I am still making a ton of tweaks so I haven't advertised the site officially yet as changes might still occur. But we are definitely getting closer as the site is in a usable state. I won't delete anything you write unless you ask me to.

1 hour ago, Chris Hansen said:

Feel free to sign up and help us test the site :) I am still making a ton of tweaks so I haven't advertised the site officially yet as changes might still occur. But we are definitely getting closer as the site is in a usable state. I won't delete anything you write unless you ask me to.

I am not a musician, but I registered.  As I understand anything posted on here is free to use in projects?

Thanks @Chris Hansen and @Doomkid! I'm so glad to see a music repository site, it's something I've been needing / wanting for a long time now. Between this thread and the one Doomkid posted a few days ago, I've been able to fill out a good portion of the music I need for at least one of my projects. I'm so glad for that, for sure. :)

The Doom Midi Repository is still in beta, but I could use a few more people to try and create albums. I've made a lot of changes and I think it works pretty well. I could especially use some advice for creating meaningful categories. Tags are up to the poster to choose.

So check out the site and sign up. Send me a pm via the contact form or here on Doomworld if you wish to be an author.

www.doommidis.com