Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massacrebosco

Will you play the wads that made by a person you hate ?

Antroid. Do you have a link to anything of yours I can play?

Contrary (or is it? I don't know) to the theme of the topic, I am actually more likely to play something made by someone especially opinionated and vocal about the subject -- and your bluster regarding mapping details (which I see your perspective on) has me curious about your output.

hex11 said:

I hate chaingunners and revenants, and I won't ever play their stinkin' maps!

Then plutonia isn't for you.

@Darth Jrrr He's got nothing on the archives yet as of yet. There are a few maps by him in the D2INO beta though.

Jayextee said:

Antroid. Do you have a link to anything of yours I can play?

Sure. There isn't much though and these are pretty much my first forays into vanilla. e3m3 for Bedlam, although without the custom music. The version in the beta that Memfis released is pretty broken so don't play that one. And map04, map24 and map29 of D2INO, but be advised that the version of map24, although probably potentially my best map of these four, is totally unfinished - the gameplay isn't balanced whatsoever and I've made a couple changes to the geometry/layout too (mostly after the red/yellow bars), so you'd better wait for an update before trying that one.

My zdoom project will totally contradict many things I say about others' maps though so there'll be a lot of hypocrisy surfacing when that's done.

I generally dont have negative opinions about people here.

The only real exception would be a personality type, that directly affects mapping as a result. Most notably the new guys that need a lot more experience, yet refuse to accept the slightest advice or constructive criticism.

The only WADs I wouldn't touch are troll/TerryWADs, and I'm sure many here share my opinion.

Antroid said:

Stuff

I'll take note of the D2iNO stuff, when it's finally finished. I remember being rather angry at a stuck platform in one map (not yours), although I did get as far as playing MAP04 -- flawed, but interesting. That's a thumbs up in my book; I'd rather something 'miss the mark' as it were because it tried something interesting, than because of a general lack of quality.

I'll keep my eye out. ;)

Anything made my doomguy2000 I wouldn't want to touch, but I don't actually hate them.

Jayextee said:

~~I did get as far as playing MAP04 -- flawed, but interesting~~

Could you elaborate in a PM or something? I'm interested in feedback and criticism and all that but I don't wanna hijack more threads.

Clonehunter said:

I love the Harris levels.

0/5

As to the topic, I would play but not promote the work in any way.

I found out a long time ago that hating some one is just not worth it.If I have a feeling it will be a good wad to play,then I will play it regardless.But I will admit that I don't like troll wads or there ilk.But hate?I don't really care enough to.As I always say,I'm happy with my life.

Truth be told, if the person in question is enough of a nutjob, sure. I'm abandoning playing one major mod because the person who makes it is a pompous jerk who seemed to only make the mod for net fame. He's a real jerkass to anyone and everyone, he's a racist and he has this "I'm sorry if you got offended" attitude which means he isn't apologizing for anything along with his "you're just jealous of my mod's success" attitude. To top it off his mod is buggy as all hell and each progressive version seems to break the few good points of the past versions just so he can focus on pointless "features". The new version already has a display bug causing sprites to flash, GO FIGURE. I'd bring it up but I'm sure it'll be his usual "you're doing something wrong" response even though, sorry pal, but I'm not.

I'll stick with Doom Enhanced, at least that isn't some "pay attention to me" job made solely so someone could get famous online(which isn't going to amount to dick when it comes time to pay the bills, all those online asspats are worthless at the end of the day). Not to mention actually feeling more like actual Doom. Frankly, if the only reason you're doing any form of art is to impress people, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

I was sort of tempted to switch source port because the main coder has an ego, but I don't have much choice if I want to play WADs.

I don't need to have personal contact with someone. I figure if someone's openly racist, supports bigotry or is otherwise a loon then I can avoid them. Then again, I barely interact with the Doom community. I play the game, I download WADs, but I rarely even come to this forum or need to cross paths with anyone outside of playing the game. I don't play multiplayer online Doom but I'm not too big into multiplayer games to start with.

In order to answer this question, I must first find an enemy.

Spoiler

Is anyone willing to be my enemy?

But when I do, I'll play it to make sure I have another reason to hate that person some more.

If I'm avoiding somebody's work, it's because I already know they make maps I'm highly unlikely to enjoy. So extreme slaughter, troll wads, gameplay mods and the like. This doesn't change the author for me too much (well, troll or bad joke wads do make me think the author is retarded, juvenile or possibly both) and me thinking that some people (on here) are dicks or just plain weird doesn't stop me enjoying their maps when they're good.

What can have an impact is my opinion of a mappers historical body of work. Particularly when the offering in question is a huge disappointment to me, as both T667 and Xaser have seen in the past! This didn't stop me playing and enjoying some of their later work, however :)

Eris Falling said:

diosoth, you've just given the easiest round of "Guess the mod!" ever :P

Also, most passive-agressive bump ever.

I find it takes an awful lot for me to really hate someone. But there is enough content for Doom that I could avoid things that were made by someone I didn't like, theoretically.

This again, huh? Well, my answer is still yes. Although I can't imagine myself hating anyone over the internet.

Also Brutal Doom is fun for what it is. I couldn't give less shits about forum dramas.

I don't think that there is anyone I hate in this community. In fact, I have a very short list of people that I actually hate anywhere. Indeed, there may not even be a list. Not even one with a Blair Witch-watching, football-playing Steam-subscribing dead celebrity on it. ;)

There are a few people that I have had minor run-ins with but (I hope) that most of those have been good natured and that the disagreement was merely in relation to the point being discussed and not with the person themselves. I don't *think* I have actually, really fallen out with anyone on here.

There are some people who come across in ways that make me think that, perhaps, I might not like them in real life but, ultimately, my impression of them is filtered through the Internet and the impersonal text-only medium that we use to communicate - so I don't know and I try to keep that in mind.

So, in short, I don't think that there is anyone in this community that I dislike enough for me to answer the question. I can't play a WAD by a person that I hate (whether I want to or not) because I don't hate anyone who makes WADs.

However, to step back from the specifics of the question, I play Doom because I like the game. If I play a map, I enjoy the map, or not, on its own merits and because of my tastes. I don't really see why the author's personality or persona alone would influence that. My appreciation of the map would stand or fall on the content of the WAD, not on who made it.

If their project is well-made, I'd respect that.

Even if they are jerks.

If you look at something like Brutal Doom, you'll see that even though the mod author is bad, people still play it because it is worth playing.

Professor Sir said:

If you look at something like Brutal Doom, you'll see that even though the mod author is bad, people still play it because it is worth playing.

I thought Sgt Mark was intentionally acting as a jerk to play out his persona as an angry US marine during the Vietnam war. That's what I get from his posts anyway. He even said he was worse than Hitler. But anyway, even if Mark or any other modder is a real bastard, as long as their work is good, why should you care? There are plenty of actors who are jerks but they still make good movies.

Luke Dacote said:

There are plenty of actors who are jerks but they still make good movies.

John Travolta comes to mind.

Rayzik said:

This is called tolerance.

You can't tolerate the intolerant! At least that's what tumbr the internet has brainwashed taught me to believe.

Anyway, yes I would play a person's wad even if I didn't care for said individual. I'm not petty enough to discount one's art just becasue I don't like his/her attitude and/or politics.

Professor Sir said:

I once heard Sergeant Mark IV drove a truck load of weapons to the Taliban while reciting Mein Kampf in it's native German.

Technician said:

I once heard Sergeant Mark IV drove a truck load of weapons to the Taliban while reciting Mein Kampf in it's native German.

Which would probably have been alright if he hadn't then suicide-bombed a large Red Cross medical camp full of children being vaccinated for polio.

And let me guess, he climbed back out of hell using the Devil's horns as mountaineering equipment so he could post the latest BD update.

I honestly don't think I could hate anyone that shares the same passion I have for modding a 20 year old game.