Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Trouble Uploading Files To idgames

Hey guys, I've had trouble with uploading files to idgames, and I need some help. Here's the problems I'm having.

First off, when I tried to go to the FTP root at archives.gamers.org in Windows Explorer using IE 9, I get the error message "This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer". It used to work, but now it doesn't anymore for some reason.

I also tried to upload them with FileZilla, but I keep getting a server error. Here's a server error I got when uploading a test file to show you what I got, and it tried uploading multiple times when it got a server error and it eventually gave up:

Resolving address of archives.gamers.org
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	421 Sorry, there is already 1 user from 173.89.175.207 logged on.  Try again in 10 minutes.
Error:	Could not connect to server
Status:	Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...
Response:	421 Sorry, there is already 1 user from 173.89.175.207 logged on.  Try again in 10 minutes.
Status:	Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...
Status:	Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...
I got it to work with CuteFTP, but it said it had a 30 day trial to it and that it wouldn't work anymore afterward unless if I were to buy the full version.

So what can I do to fix the problem with FileZilla? Or is there another free FTP that can do the job, such as FreeFTP?

Episode 2 finally hits /incoming - you can blame the beta testers for any and all delays.

Wonder what the hell is inside "hugedumpcontainsrarelostwads.zip", somehow I doubt Ty was warned in advance so it'll probably be nuked.

i had to try uploading an edit to HYMN probably 12 times over the course of 4 days before I got it to work. kind of stressful, but your experience is typical . . . i guess.

It sounds like some of those fancy GUI clients are trying to be too clever, opening multiple connections to the FTP server. I used the command-line BSD client to upload stuff and it worked the first time. Windows used to have such a client, back in XP and earlier releases. Maybe it still does... Just open a shell window, then type "ftp" and you'll find out. ;-)

hex11 said:

It sounds like some of those fancy GUI clients are trying to be too clever, opening multiple connections to the FTP server.

It's exactly this. FileZilla will use one connection for the file browser and a separate one for actually uploading each file. What I end up doing is connecting, browsing to /incoming, initiating the upload via drag n' drop because I'm lazy, then disconnecting to let the uploads go through. It's really pretty goofy.

Admittedly this is FileZilla's fault for being silly, but the limits on uploading make it feel like we're trapped in the 90's, not that having to dump files manually via FTP helps either in that regard. I wonder if anyone around would be willing to code up (given staff approval of course) an upload interface to dw/idgames -- could be restricted to logged-in DW users as well to prevent anonymous spammage, since that system's more or less in place already.