Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

3D Floors/Silent teleporters and making bridges in Doom builder?

I'd like to learn how to, and I don't really want to read a huge wall of text about it on Google. I prefer that human touch, babycakes.

What port are you using?

In any case, experiment with dragging around midtextures to align like they 'float' in DoomBuilder, make the illusion of a fake floor first. In Vanilla, you'll need to learn how to make self-referencing sectors; in Boom, play with height-transfer linedefs (IIRC type 242).

Other ports have their own methods.

Linedef 160 in UDMF/Doom in Hexen - format. Make dummy sector, set the floor and ceiling heights for the 3D structure. Remember to check solid and set alpha for 255, if it is meant to be walkable and don't want it to being invisible.
Also, ZDoom wiki, section Action Specials, is your friend if you need more references.

Vanilla has... Actually, there is guides for that in here, here and here. Explaining them is really hard for my part.
Just remember not to make them too fancy, or you get some glitches by least, or bombing out vanilla ports.

I use Zandronum to test it but I'm using the Boom setup in Doom Builder. I don't really intend on it being Vanilla compatible if I'm going to learn these features if they break it.

I figured making a silent teleporter would be easier. Is this possible without editing the WAD in any way? I want to keep it all original instead of having to download multiple/one huge WAD(s).

SavageCorona said:
I figured making a silent teleporter would be easier. Is this possible without editing the WAD in any way? I want to keep it all original instead of having to download multiple/one huge WAD(s).

I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean by this? I have no clue. Does anyone have a clue?

I mean I want to create a silent teleporter without having to edit anything.

It teleports you without making a sound or a green wibbly effect in your face.

SavageCorona said:

without having to edit anything.

What anything???

You make your wad, right? You have it in Boom format. You have sectors and lines in it. Select a line you want to have a silent teleporter effect, search a little in the list of offered linedef actions, and find something like "Teleport to line with the same tag" in the "Teleport" subsection. Then give the line a tag, and another line in your wad the same tag in order to make it work. Possibly give that other line the same action too. The lines should be preferably of the same length.

This was an explanation how to make a silent teleporter work in your wad. I'm just curious how do you want to do it without having to edit anything. I'm sorry, I really don't understand you.

I meant without having to edit the teleport thing in an editor so it doesn't have any sprites or sounds.

I just didn't know that Doom Builder by default had a silent teleportation function.

SavageCorona said:

I just didn't know that Doom Builder by default had a silent teleportation function.

It's not a Doom Builder thing. It's a Boom thing.

Sounds like you could do with learning the fundamentals before trying anything ambitious.

It's ambitious to want to make a teleporter that doesn't make any noise or sprite effects even though I know how to make a teleporter?

It's ambitious if you're mistaking port features for editor features. All you might need is to change the linedef action, Boom has a good selection for silent teleports so it's a matter of choosing whichever best fits the situation.