Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

Learning C sharp

Could anyone recommend me a good textbook to start with. I want to teach myself how to use C Sharp. Creating a few WADs with Doom builder is the extent of my knowledge when it comes to programming. Right now I'm messing around with Unity 3D.

I always fared better when I jumped in and "did something" when learning a new programming language. You know, keep the browser with simple tutorials, syntax documentation, and library references open while I typed away in Emacs or whatever. Usually I'd write a small todo list program or something similar. You might want to try doing something similar as you learn C#, if only as a supplement to a textbook or course.

yukib1t said:

I always fared better when I jumped in and "did something" when learning a new programming language. You know, keep the browser with simple tutorials, syntax documentation, and library references open while I typed away in Emacs or whatever. Usually I'd write a small todo list program or something similar. You might want to try doing something similar as you learn C#, if only as a supplement to a textbook or course.

I printed out some tutorials from here: http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

I figure it would be a good start. I was also looking at some videos on youtube.

yukib1t said:

Yeah. The Internet is now so full of answers regarding computers it's not even funny.

exp(x) said:

Why do you want to learn C#?

I'm using Unity 3D, and I read somewhere that their Csharp programming language, is actually Csharp. But their Javascript is a variation that only Unity 3D uses.

http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx
This is what I used when I began with C# some...nine years ago?

As for books, fuck 'em. Just start coding stuff and making Google your best friend. Books are horrible reference material compared to the Internet (<3 MSDN), and getting dirty with the coding is always the best way to learn anyway.

Edit: Don't do the game programming course. Looking at the syllabus, it'll throw you right into XNA which is a bad idea when you know absolutely nothing. Maybe if you'll force yourself through some online tutorial first then you could take that course. But be warned that it's apparently less about programming and more about doing cool shit without knowing what the hell you are doing.

Jodwin said:

http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx
This is what I used when I began with C# some...nine years ago?

As for books, fuck 'em. Just start coding stuff and making Google your best friend. Books are horrible reference material compared to the Internet (<3 MSDN), and getting dirty with the coding is always the best way to learn anyway.

Edit: Don't do the game programming course. Looking at the syllabus, it'll throw you right into XNA which is a bad idea when you know absolutely nothing. Maybe if you'll force yourself through some online tutorial first then you could take that course. But be warned that it's apparently less about programming and more about doing cool shit without knowing what the hell you are doing.

Thanks for the link, and the advice!