Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NukeStormMachine

I'd like feedback for a 2 map wad I started working on

- i didn't particularly like the beginning of the first map leading up to the outdoor area after the fight with the hellknight, which i just ignored because i didnt feel like wasting ammo. a pattern i noticed lately on all kinds of maps is that ammo is too sparse in the beginning and becomes overabundant later.
- some parts of both map01 and map02, especially the beginning of them, are way too dark. add specters to that and you have a recipe guaranteeing rage. keep in mind that people's screens have all kinds of different levels of brightness, so it's probably best that when in doubt, make your map a little brighter than you think is necessary. my monitor is set to maximum brightness (which IS quite bright), but the gamma in doom is at a reasonable level, and i still found the maps too dark.
- is it possible that you use some sourceport that draws light around things? like the candleabras in the beginning of map01. they are just fullbright in gzdoom / zdoom, which looks rather strange without some form of sector lighting.
- you use quite a lot of different textures in the maps, and while that's a subjective kind of critique on my behalf, i usually prefer consistency of design of a single map at least, not necessarily over the course of a wad of course.
- some parts of the map are nicely detailed, others look somewhat plain. again, a matter of consistency.
- some traps do not work at all (edit: not from a technical standpoint, but more design-wise). in the second map when you pick up the first key, i just run away from the baron. that brings up the debate again whether it's ok to block the player off to stage fights, but there are other, more elegant ways of staging ambushes.
- i have a feeling that the maps are designed for a continuous playthrough, is that right? a pistol start is possible in map02 but it feels like you expect the player to have the weapons already.

since im a newbie xD im just gonna have to mostly agree with AtTheGates
but that was fun :) keep going

AtTheGates said:

- i didn't particularly like the beginning of the first map leading up to the outdoor area after the fight with the hellknight, which i just ignored because i didnt feel like wasting ammo.

I was kind of hoping that players would ignore that fight until later. I wanted to stress the player into running away for a while.

AtTheGates said:

a pattern i noticed lately on all kinds of maps is that ammo is too sparse in the beginning and becomes overabundant later.

Yeah I have to fix that.

AtTheGates said:

- some parts of both map01 and map02, especially the beginning of them, are way too dark. add specters to that and you have a recipe guaranteeing rage... is it possible that you use some sourceport that draws light around things?

I'm on Zandronum. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to think about the people on other Zdoom-based source ports.

AtTheGates said:

- you use quite a lot of different textures in the maps, and while that's a subjective kind of critique on my behalf, i usually prefer consistency of design of a single map at least, not necessarily over the course of a wad of course.

So you're saying to use less textures on one map? That would make my life a lot easier. I just wasn't sure if using less textures would make it look monotonous. I'll experiment more here.

AtTheGates said:

- some parts of the map are nicely detailed, others look somewhat plain. again, a matter of consistency.

Yeah, well rooms which are subject to change, I would detail them less. Before moving on to a map03 or whatnot, I'll take fix 'em up a bit.

AtTheGates said:

- i have a feeling that the maps are designed for a continuous playthrough, is that right? a pistol start is possible in map02 but it feels like you expect the player to have the weapons already.

They're meant for continuous play. Did it feel off a bit?

Thanks for the feedback, lots of stuff to go on here. Very helpful.

NukeStormMachine said:

They're meant for continuous play. Did it feel off a bit?

fighting the 2 demons without anything but a pistol and no shotgun near the ammo in the beginning of map02 kinda gave it away. i wouldn't worry too much about it if i were you, ammo/weapon placement is something you can look at once your map set is done, just keep in mind that there are players who prefer to pistol start everything.

for testing, use zandronum on software mode, so you can see dark areas around the map and missing textures

- While I don't think all of Romero's Doom mapping rules need to be followed, I do think that the Floor Texture Rule (don't change floor textures without changing height as well) is one that should be followed at all times. The imp cage is okay since the cage forms a visual barrier between the wood and metal floors, but the one leading into the next room doesn't look hot.

- Check the vertical alignments on the bricks in the outdoor areas. For the sills above and below windows, apply both upper unpegged and lower unpegged to make it line up properly.

- I personally think the animated candle midtextures look kinda poor where they're placed, either move them down a bit (so the wax drippings at the bottom look as if they're dripping down the ledge) or move them back into the cubby hole away from the edge.

- This is a personal nitpick, but I don't like not knowing how many monsters are in a level. (Having ZDoom create them out of thin air adds to the monster count shown at the start of the level). I'd make them teleport in with teleport lines, or come out of monster closets, instead. But this is minor and probably doesn't annoy 99% of the people out there.

- The edges of the door that the demons after the red door pop out of still have the brown texture, probably a mistake since everything else is grey.

- The door that leads into the room with tables/chairs and 3 doors (switch, baron, imp) has a missing low texture/HOM on the back side.

- I personally loathe unmarked exits, and I know others do too. If using that switch to mark the exit becomes a hallmark, that's fine, but early on it's annoying. Though I admit an EXIT sign doesn't fit the theme. Something to think about.

- Lots of ugly little texture alignments on the second level. Some of the metal bars around doorways, the skull key door piping, etc. You switch constantly between three different marble textures and none of them align nicely, add borders (or choose different textures).

- End of the second map is pretty anti-climatic. The AV from behind gets you going, then there's just a few zombies and imps before an exit switch a room or two away. Meh.

Overall, decent gameplay. Started running low on ammo near the end but didn't have ammo troubles. Difficulty is actually pretty easy despite a fair amount of AVs. Could use some more decorations or random small items to liven up the areas. Not bad overall. I would agree with the suggestion of using less textures per level to give each one a more cohesive feel. I would just throw in an SSG at the start of map 2 for pistol starters.

This is a good wad and it is very fun to play. The levels are well designed and monster placement is good (apart from the first hell knight, maybe put him a bit further back in the room)
The detailing and architecture is simple but it works. Clear up some texture misalignments and it will be great.

One thing, we should be able to pass through these:

more ammo? ffs!
im at first hell knight and already out of ammo *rolls eyes*
died at red skull. gg!!