Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Revolution X, aka the Weirdest Fucking Game I've Ever Seen

Before proceeding, this is your warning of the content ahead:

If that hasn't frightened you to no end, I present to you...this abomination:

Now that's out of the way, someone should totally do a jokewad TC based on this. It would involve destroying the American Idol headquarters.

"Games" such as this are simply a product of their time: this weird, awkward transitional "multimedia" era between traditional 2D and decent 3D (read: Playstation) gaming.

For some reason, they thought that a bunch of 8-bit digitized photos, a "strong" trademark and short audio samples (or "games" consisting almost entirely of FMV, made with "multimedia authoring" tools) could do away with decades of 2D games (and gameplay) refinement, and that now making "games" was finally at everbody's fingertips (or at least that every two-bit screenwriter could now gradute to "game developer", thanks to the "power" of "multimedia").

This even crossed-over to traditional consoles like the SNES, that really couldn't classify as "multimedia" in the same sense as e.g. the CD-i. Granted, Revolution-X is not a FMV game, but it sure does have the gameplay minimalism of FMV rail shooters, minus the FMV. It ain't no Operation Wolf, that's fo' sure.

Maes said:

"Games" such as this are simply a product of their time: this weird, awkward transitional "multimedia" era between traditional 2D and decent 3D (read: Playstation) gaming

Terminator 2 (the rail shooter) and Lethal Enforcers were a fuckton of fun, and I wasted countless pound coins (courtesy of a kind and generous dad) in their respective cabinets at the arcade. I'll have words with anyone who speaks ill of them, son.

Haha there was a cabinet of this in the local arcade years ago. Always thought it looked pretty crazy.

DoomUK said:

Terminator 2 (the rail shooter) and Lethal Enforcers were a fuckton of fun, and I wasted countless pound coins (courtesy of a kind and generous dad) in their respective cabinets at the arcade. I'll have words with anyone who speaks ill of them, son.

Yeah, from the looks of it the only "craziness" in that game is related to the subject material and the need to bring real world things to games. And even in that respect it's nothing compared to Wayne's World.

Lol I remember playing this game in the arcade when I was younger. It had three mounted light-guns on it.

DoomUK said:

Terminator 2 (the rail shooter) and Lethal Enforcers were a fuckton of fun, and I wasted countless pound coins

This was a fun one too.

I recall, on some other forum, someone wanted to use the textures from this game to create a Aliens Doom WAD. however, later in the thread, the OP said his computer was fried, and he had abandoned the project. Furthermore, he didn't have the back-facing textures.

Kontra Kommando said:

It had three mounted light-guns on it.

Woah, really? I thought they had four mounted light-guns in the video!

Not really.

DoomUK said:

T2 at least was a "proper" arcade rail shooter, and the time it came out it belongs more to the "golden" arcade era than to the obsensibly more "multimedia" Revolution X. It's really a shame that a major company such as Midway -with titles such as the MK series under its belt- made a title that makes Sega CD titles like Mad Dog McCree look good.

If anything, Revolution X is plagued by the original "Mortal Kombat look", which you either loved or hated. The sub-HiColor digitizations, the stiff rotoscoping and the priority of looks (well...MK-type looks, anyway) over gameplay are also factors.

Revolution X

OMG. I USED TO PLAY THIS AT THE LOCAL ARCADE ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Completely forgot about it until now. Back then I had no idea who Aerosmith was and just had fun playing a shooting game. The arcade had two mounted SMGs with yellow buttons for firing the explosive CDs. Never could remember how far I got, I just remember a bonus area where you get 1000 points every time you successfully hit a cat on a fence.

REVOLUTION X

A massive pile of shit that just eats your money and wastes your time. Want more punishment? Play the SNES port. You'll be tearing your ears off in no time.

Area 51 was pretty badass, too.

LA Machineguns, while not digitized, was an excellent arcade rail shooter. Probably my favorite.

This was the single most fun game I've ever played in any arcade. Ever.

The gun control, feel and interaction were perfect.

I can't imagine any console or PC port ever coming close.

Heh, I remember this Revolution X game very well. I also remember that it wasn't all that fun. I mean, you would think Aerosmith could do better with a video game. /sarcasm

DoomUK said:

You missed me, pig.

Agreed. But that China Town level is bullshit, what with the bad guys peering through small, porthole-sized windows to shoot at you, when they're already against a background composed of murky colors.

Never played this, but I remember staring at the demos on a machine once noting how batshit insane it looked and how much I wanted to try it. Suffice to say, Crazy Taxi, Target Terror, and Area 51 got all of my money instead.

I ended up playing the PSX port. One of the worst games I have ever played. Not Impossible Mission II kind of terrible, but still shitty.

I used to play the arcade version of this all the time. I have fond memories of it being entirely action-packed. I didn't even know it was an Aerosmith game until I reached adulthood, despite saving several of the members in game.

^ yeah, I didn't know much about rock music when I played this game either, so Aerosmith just seemed like another fictitious group, created for a video game.

I remember loving this for the SNES. Actually a really fun game that wasn't too challenging for a kid.

Obsidian said:

I WANT TO PLAY THAT.

DO WANT.

WANT.

Only play the arcade cabinet if you really must play it. The ports are not worth playing