Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonicus666

Console TCs

Hey guys how many console version of doom tc ports exist ? And would they work on source ports or steam doom. ? I know there is doom psx tc and doom 64 ex tc . Is there like a artari jaguar tc or 3do tc?? I have searched the forum and found nothing , But on YouTube there a is a video of a doom Atari jaguar tc.

I know there exists such TC's for 32x, N64, GBA, Jaguar, PSX and SNES, though I don't have links for them atm, I can try to look for them though.

Generally TCs use their own dedicated engines, based on existing source ports, but will not work with "pure" versions of the same source ports (e.g. the Absolution N64 TC uses a modified Doomsday Engine v1.7.14, and Doom64 EX uses Doom3D as a base, but neither is backwards or forward compatible with their base ports, due to customization.

The Steam version is basically vanilla doom.exe + DOSBOX, so of course it cannot run any advanced source port stuff.

Even the Classic Doom shipped with Doom 3: BFG Edition or the XBLA versions of Doom are just minor updates to vanilla Doom, and lack even basic limit removing features. In addition, there's no known way to make them work with PWADs, other than using IWAD merging.

The Jaguar TC can run in vanilla, with enhancements when you run it in ZDoom, Eternity, and EDGE. It's not a particularly faithful TC, though, as I wasn't concerned with the tic rate differences in JagDoom.

Maes said:

Generally TCs use their own dedicated engines, based on existing source ports, but will not work with "pure" versions of the same source ports (e.g. the Absolution N64 TC uses a modified Doomsday Engine v1.7.14, and Doom64 EX uses Doom3D as a base

Doom 64 EX is not a TC, it's a port.

Also, since the Direct3D stuff has been removed when it became the Kex engine, and now it uses OpenGL instead, I'm not sure there's significant inheritance from Doom3D remaining.