Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

|)Wango5 ..::lvl maps analysis

Alright, after I saw Fredrik has posted a deep-discussed analysis on the design of the levels of Doom 2. Let's do same, too. I was going to do this during spring break already, but I was just too lazy. Now I sort of feel like doing this when I got back home today, Friday. Give your essential opinions? comments? thoughts? anything else? on the following maps.

Authors: (unknown?)
Names of the maps: N/A, lack of its individual name for each lvl. (<- sucky)

---Dwango5 Map01: Entryway---
Based on Doom2 Map01. Green and brown wall textures from Vanilla Doom 2 were used in everywhere in the level. Surely, the author has been inspired by it. The design and structure of this map is obviously resembled as the particular shape of Doom2 Map01. Its design is basically very simple that most changes in this level are aimed at outdoor. The connectivity inside rooms and hallways were copied from Map01 exactly. Nothing much has changed in the blue room, except there are a rocket launcher and a box of rocket hidden inside those two black blocks. Outdoor evironment was shaped wonderfully with an open area where perfectly applies for wide-open super-shotgun battles, as well as corners and blocks are well-placed outside that are good for dodging. What makes this map so special is that it has creative connectivities at certain places for players to do a lot of variable and unexpected tricks that you would not usually see in Doom2 Map01. See images below for more specific explanations. Item placements are distributed quite suitable in the level. Super-shotguns are present close to the respawn spots, reasonably decent for the good of ssg(Super-Shotgun) battles and defensing. Unfortunately, bots play extremely unimpressive; for the most of the time, they preferably choose to use ssg and thrive off rockets at opponenets sometimes. Strangely they like to stay around at area where the chainsaw is lied or at the rocket launcher where is below the transparent window or the rooms inside. This map is absolutely recommanded for a FFA, as well as a dual.

Hold "Forward" key and bump in to grab the BFG. Remember put always-run mode on.
Advantage: An instant way to get the bfg in a quite short time.
Disadvantage: Make sure your opponent isn't around watching to steal it.

One of the fancy and efficient BFG tricks. Shoot inside the "2-pillars room" as you walk backward up stairs then move away either way you want to cover the area with the BFG indirect enery effect that you have just shot off.
Advantage: Efficient way to use BFG to cover the areas, especially when your opponent is inside of the "house".
Disadvantage: Watch out your opponent isn't down there waiting for your arrival. Also the choice you have to decide which way you jump is a big consequence which causes you to make a huge mistake onto the road of death, because the effect cannot cover the whole area on the ground. Be aware about this!

This might be difficult for some newbies. The move is definitely required your running speed has to match well with catching the time as the lift reaches. In order to archieve the goal, press the lift button then turn back and go in the hallways immediately and follow the course along to get to your destination, the lift.
Advantage: A shortcut way leads you upon the ledge of plasma rifle.
Disadvanatage: Be aware of your opponent, make sure he isn't coming to your way once he hears the sound when you lower down the lift.

Slightly bump into the tan side of the pillar, where is on your left-hand side when you enter the blue room.
Advantage: Enough said. Extra booms. Of course, bumping is the only way you can get it :)
Disadvantage: None, mostly. Only have to assure that your opponent isn't hiding or camping inside of the room.

Recommended for only low-pingers and LAN use. This tactic is extremely hard to do. Lag would most likely kill you. Jump off of the upper ledge and aim at the target through the transparent window in mid-air. Well time-catching and decent movements are necessary to be known first.
Advantage: Tricky way to shoot at whatever or whoever inside of the "house" hiddeously.
Disadvantage: Cautious: You better be good at this, otherwise, you are already dead.

Okay. This is it for today. I'll come back later for more when I got time. Feel free to reply your comments about above summary, whether you agree with all/most/some/none of them or not.

Hmm, thanks Cop, never knew about the box of rockets inside the pillar.

Np. :) Found out about that a month ago.

Heh. I remember when i first found that out. That used to be my DooM DM triva question.. How many rocket launchers are there on D5M1? but then someone got it right, and i felt like an idiot :)

lol. yeah thx, 999cop, i didnt no about that either. And i like the jumping and shooting thru the window thing, but i'd never be able 2 do it with a 56k connection.

MaTT [TiK] said:
And i like the jumping and shooting thru the window thing, but i'd never be able 2 do it with a 56k connection.

I take that back - I just managed 2 almost do it quite a few times with a ping of about 257. I only didnt do it cos i couldnt get the timing right, not cos of my ping. So again, thx 4 that.

heh, great.

I could shoot rockets and stuff through the window with my 500 ping at most of the areas in the room, except for it's a bit difficult to aim at the bfg cage with such a high ping.

Fod, got anything to say? ;)

[edit]I'll put up a review about Dwango5 Map02 later, just as soon as I feel like it and have strong feelings about doing it ;D

Never tried that trick, as usually I am too busy trying to survive, I just run around a bit and shoot haphazardly, damn these top players suss out all the moves

Never tried that trick, as usually I am too busy trying to survive, I just run around a bit and shoot haphazardly, damn these top players suss out all the moves

Hrm, for some reason I can't seem to grab the BFG through the opposite side of the cage, I always have to run into the little nook to grab it, and then I get cornered and killed.

Hit the wall to the right of it and slide left to the bfg through the grill, that sometimes works

always keep your back against the grate when grabbing the bfg, othervise you'll get killed for sure.

You want a Dwango5 analysis? All the maps suck except map11.

enough of this bickering!

thanks for the tip on the rocket launcher, 999cop.

to get the bfg thruough the grill, i run flat up against it, do a 180, and quickley look left and right.

let's do map 2 now

MaTT [TiK] said:
I'm sorry, but map14 is clearly the best 1 on dwango5

yum.. I love d5m14 1on1. sucks horribly in ffa tho.

Erik said:

yum.. I love d5m14 1on1. sucks horribly in ffa tho.

yeah. it's way too easy with ffa.

thanks for all the supporting and comments, guys, glad you appreciate for this thread.

sleepyboy: ive been in a bad mood lately (something have to deal with schoolwork)so i havn't been able to play or do some serious posting, therefore please be patience, i suppose i could do a review for dwango5 map2 next week..uh this coming friday, hopefully.

ling: ha, thanks

So, as I promised the other day that I'm going to review Dwango5 Map02, therefore I better keep my trusty to the community and people. Been feeling a bit more relaxing after all the big, rough tests, but not very happy about them, though. Anyways, here goes nothing......

Authors: (unknown?)

---Dwango5 Map02: Underhalls---
The map features a very unique pattern for its gameplay. Although this is a map that is strongly not recommended from most players for FFA, however, with a well-designed pattern in rooms some serious 1vs1 games can be played, it's worthy version of duals-based arena. The connectivity of both hallways is incredibly great for classic Doom physics. That creates an intersection which allows players to meet each other more frequently, also it's where applies players to kill each other with rockets straightly through such tiny hallways at an instant speed. Throughout the whole map, its visualization is reasonably decent by compiling basic green TEKGREN-type textures and decorating with a couple of dead bodies of sprites hanging around. There is not many items/powerups to pick up, mainly only a few of shotgun shells laying on floor, 2 medikits and 1 green armor placing near the position of super-shotgun where is right behind the wall in the biggest room of the level. All the weapons can be found in Dwango5 map02, except chainsaw. Due to this level was basically made up of 2 major connected hallways with a tight corner where the intersection is, a big super-shotgun room, a small-sized BFG room, and 2 extremely mini-sized rooms where respawn spots are hidden inside them, plus during FFA, BFG always becomes a handy target to go for, because it can be easily approached then grabbed. Besides, one huge BFG energy blast can already cause a tremedous affect almost through all the rooms in the level, surely a lot of people can be fragged easily without you blinking eyes in FFA. Bots generally play okay, usually they would hunt you down with their most good at weapon - super-shotgun, sometimes they also spam with BFG in every direction crazily. Overall for this level, FFA IS NOT recommended, unless you are a BFG spamming fan. 1-vs-1 games are reasonably good to play on.

Best for firing rockets in either hallway to kill opponents instantly, sometimes even without knowing. We'll all have to see how good you can handle your speed at it.
Advantage: Kill opponents speedily with rockets, sometimes even without they acknowledging those "flying butterfingers".
Disadvantage: Have to catch up your own speed. Need to know how to dodge rockets by strafing, not just running away from them. Watch out for the walls or whatever obstacles in your way while you are trying to get through.

Leaning against the wall and wallrun over on top of the ledge then grab your "biggie".
Advantage: 'Nuff said. BFG is in your hand, not getting it by other stupid methods or wait till you are respawned right on it.
Disadvantage: Yes, definitely there is. Watch for your back and the lift spot before you wallrun over to there. Might be hunters shot you down with shotgun/super-shotgun or rocket coming from the other way of the hall. Besides thsoe, especially have to be cautious about the campers staying in the room waiting for your arrival for your precious BFG.

Lower down the lift while your opponent respawn right at that spot or your opponent walks over at it, kill him quickly without a single breathe.
Advantage: CHEAP & HILARIOUS BUT A SMART MOVE!
Disadvantage: Don't let him escape and kill you? Simple enough?

Hit the switch then go in the tiny rocket platform and you'd see there is the secret exit where it's hidden inside of it.
Advantage: Wrap yourself and live inside the tiny room without oxygen. Fire rockets then close the door back then possibly no one would ever know you are in there, or not.
Disadvantage: I suggest you better not to slip over the door then blow yourself up accidentally or slip in the exit spot.

Instead of going around the corner, why not just shoot through the windows and frag whoever is behind there.
Advantage: Hopefully you are at least capable to figure out what it is visually by looking at the picture.
Disadvantage: Don't get too close to the window or you can say good-bye without fragging anyone else but yourself.