Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Think Introducing Doom to Today's Kids is a Good Idea?

It doesn't look like any of these folks have actually been introduced to Doom. Not properly, at any rate. ;)

Memfis said:

"stop having fun"?

This.

Think of it this way, you've got some real entry-level modding here for kids to sink their teeth into and learn how to create game content. It may be shit at first, but who knows what they'll move onto when they get some properly-matured taste, originality, sense of aesthetics, etc.

It's not a good idea, it's a great idea. You don't have to play their content, you know?

Boy, if I had a nickel for every terrible map that I made when I was younger...

Skills mature along with growing up. I don't see the issue, to be honest. Not every kid creates gold in their first couple of tries.

Introducing Doom to kids won't magically transform them into erudite, chisel-jawed grognards like ourselves. But at least it gives them a chance.

Captain Red said:

Making terrible Doom content is a right of passage damn you!

Hear, hear!

Insult the little bastards and walk away with the strut of a rooster. How dare they mod Doom in such ways?

Just keep 'em from using anything that adds Call of Shitty or BattleSpunkGargleWeeWee content into the game like that third video.

If you introduce doom to a nerd software kid he will make it into something else and make it awful like call of dooty.

joe-ilya said:

If you introduce doom to a nerd software kid he will make it into something else and make it awful like call of dooty.

Really? Tell me more. In fact tell me about how the creators of Doom weren't nerd software guys.

Why do I always come here when I should be doing work?

With regards to the stupid mods quoted above, I've seen many adults and people in their 20's create total crap like this as well. The best thing to do is to ignore and block shit out like this completely because getting pissed off about it is already giving it way too much credit and posting links to it is giving it attention it doesn't deserve.

I know this is a troll thread (or atleast think, I can't tell the difference anymore when it comes to forum posts or Facebook posts or posts on the internet in general)... but to answer the question in the title seriously; I think introducing kids to Doom is a great idea, because atleast it means that when I'm an old and boring asshole I can still play new Doom wads, at worst we'll get a few more shitty mods that I can ignore. Last time I checked we have some great "today's kid" mappers here with huge potential to grow, maybe I'm just getting old but isn't Eris Falling a "today's kid" and his designs have been evolving and getting pretty awesome, even some of the stuff I've seen from OP was good quality (even if I remember it vaguely), or Katemori (assuming you cut the pseudo realistic crap and Mcdonalds signs out of your designs :P), or Purist's child <3. And then there's that sweet little angelic girl who looks like an anime character with long blond hair that designed maps for Little Temple's project. :P

Heh, I'm still waiting for how much coverage Doom will get when the stupid-popular "scarecam" LP'ers get a hold of that 'Total Chaos' (the Doom horror wad in the works, which I quite like the idea of) someday and start playing that on the ol' Youtube.

Besides, they might make some crap wads so that I can watch more DeimosComaBlack/Aquarius199 videos. I see nothing wrong with introducing more young uns' to Doom; if anything that should be encouraged so that we might get a broader spectrum of Doom wad ideas. Hell, Realm of Chaos back in the day was created by some young kids, so why not some in 2013!

Pewdiepie for Hell Revealed on UV anyone?

Jayextee said:

"Think Introducing Elitism to Today's Kids is a Good Idea?"

I have to agree, making this thread was rather asshole-ish on my part. Any mods willing to lock/hell this thread?

Cacatou said:

Really? Tell me more. In fact tell me about how the creators of Doom weren't nerd software guys.

But they don't make awful stuff and they actually get money from their stuff.
Not just a complete ripoff from another company game.