Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka 1.00 Released!

I'm pleased to announce that version 1.00 of Eureka is now available for download. There have been a lot of changes (around 500 commits) in this release and numerous bugs fixed, as well some new features.

Most significant changes:

• extensive map-checking functions
  • validate map data when loading a level
  • texture alignment commands for 3D view
  • splitting void islands now works as expected
  • improved grid, with configurable colors
  • scroll-bars for the map view (optional)
LINK: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net

Thanks again to printz for creating the MacOS X package.

Now that this release is out, I plan to stop coding for a while and work primarily on the sorely-lacking documentation for Eureka. I hope you enjoy this release, and don't hesitate to post comments, bug reports and suggestions in this thread.

KuriKai said:

EDIT: no 64bit deb release?

I don't have a 64 bit computer to build that on.

Though I've had a report that the 32 bit version will run on 64 bit machines.

Unless I'm overlooking it, the Windows installer failed to create a Start menu item for Eureka on Windows 7.

Bar for this minor hiccup I'm really liking Eureka and suspect it will replace Doom Builder 2 for me personally (I spend far more time evaluating and debugging maps than I do making them and Eureka seems to fit my needs much better). Congrats on the release.

Installs and runs fine on my 64bit Windows 8.

The only minor problem I came across was, that both Avast and Windows smartscreen wanted to prevent me from both downloading and executing the installer. And I guess that neither you nor your program is really to blame for that since the file is so new and unknown. But now you know, in case it is something that you can actually fix.

And congrats with the release!

Congratulations on the release! Can't wait to give this a shot. I also like the new side look on the homepage.

Installs and runs without a hitch on Win7-64. Shortcut added to startmenu and everything.

Really looking forward to that documentation now. Lack of documentation was what killed my interest in the otherwise excellent Trenchbroom Quake editor. I'm glad you're taking it seriously, though. :)

DaniJ said:

Unless I'm overlooking it, the Windows installer failed to create a Start menu item for Eureka on Windows 7.

Hmmm it might be related to using the "Modern UI" feature of the NSIS installer, which seems to have its own start menu stuff, whereas I just used the old method.

However that doesn't explain why it has worked for some people. I'm not sure what to do, hopefully more reports come in which clarify the situation.

It may well be an issue specific to my dev system, which I admit I've somewhat clobbered Windows to work the way I want it to (64-bit btw, which I see you've had working reports for).

Using Windows 7 from MacBook here (though it may apply for any trackpad with scrolling), Eureka scrolling is too slow, and horizontally it doesn't work. Note that scrolling is good on OS X (due to me...)

Failed to compile on Linux.
I have several versions of FLTK, the latest is fltk 1.3 8119, and it does not define FL_Stop .. FL_Home_Page and some others.
Eureka does not actually use the names, but just refers to them once.
There does not seem to be any reason to mention them.
I had to comment that group out, and then it compiled.

I do not want to install the dev version of any tool package.
That might break other software I have.

I haven't had a problem compiling on Fedora. Can you post the compiler error? Which distro are you running?

wesleyjohnson said:

Failed to compile on Linux.
I have several versions of FLTK, the latest is fltk 1.3 8119, and it does not define FL_Stop .. FL_Home_Page and some others.

FL_Stop (etc) are used to convert key numbers into strings and vice versa, which is needed by the key binding system.

I just checked : FL_Stop is defined in 1.3.0, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 releases of FLTK.

Perhaps it is finding a 1.1.x version of FLTK (which is not supported), but there is a version check in ui_window.cc which produces an error unless the version is 1.3.x -- and you would probably get other errors too.

You could install FLTK 1.3.2 into /opt (out of the way of existing libs) and then build eureka with:

> FLTK_PREFIX=/opt make

You are finding it in some 1.3 include directories.
I greped the FLTK include directory and did not find it, but found the header with the other FL_ defines.
Will now have to check for versions numbers.

All my FLTK are release versions of the 1.3 release.

Yes, they are in the key number to string section only.
But what keyboard key would they correspond to, some media key on a Logitech media keyboard?
Had one of those but took it off. Those keys never worked for anything ...

[Edit]
I have checked my available fltk.
The following are missing FL_Media_ and FL_Stop defines:
fltk-1.1.9
fltk-1.3.x-r6919
fltk-1.3.x-r8114

I found the defines on
fltk-1.3.0-r8808

fltk-2.0 does not have defines for those keys
fltk-2.0.x-r6916
it renames these to fltk namespace, HomeKey

I would be easier for all users to guard those uses with a test for the fltk version.

It would fix this problem to put in.
#ifdef FL_Stop
#endif

Is there a way to change the map's default properties after you start editing? I can't find any way. If there isn't, consider this a feature request, I'd find it really useful for doing different sections of my maps without having to copy sector properties and retexture.

EUREKA!

Fantastic changes I can see in the changelog. Thanks for continue developing this.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Is there a way to change the map's default properties after you start editing? I can't find any way. If there isn't, consider this a feature request, I'd find it really useful for doing different sections of my maps without having to copy sector properties and retexture.

Go into Vertex mode, and in the right-hand panel it says "Default Properties" with a button next to it to hide or show the properties.

After changing them, save the map -- that ensures the changed properties will be loaded in a future editing session.

Yeah it's not a very intuitive place -- the reason is so you can use the texture browser to change the textures (etc) -- the texture browser would be inaccessible in a modal dialog window.

I found a problem while trying to run Eureka 1.0 over Windows 7.

After installing it with the installer, when I just double-click the eureka exe, I got this:

The program doesn't even starts.

On Linux (Ubuntu) runs flawlessly from the .deb (previously uninstalled the old version)

Also, can we get the old icon back please?
Or at least, can you post the old icon image so I can change it in the desktop link? Thanks xD

Yokai said:

I found a problem while trying to run Eureka 1.0 over Windows 7.

After installing it with the installer, when I just double-click the eureka exe, I got this:

The program doesn't even starts.

Hmmm, I really have no idea what could cause that error, though I will look into it.

Does running it from the Start menu produce the same error?

Why don't you like the new icon?
You can find the old icon in the 0.95 source package (see misc/eureka.xpm).

andrewj said:

Hmmm, I really have no idea what could cause that error, though I will look into it.

Does running it from the Start menu produce the same error?

I found what was the problem.
You need to install Eureka with admin rights. After doing it, it worked.

andrewj said:Why don't you like the new icon?
You can find the old icon in the 0.95 source package (see misc/eureka.xpm). [/B]

It is not that I don't like the new icon, it is that I prefer the old one.

Yokai said:

I found what was the problem.
You need to install Eureka with admin rights. After doing it, it worked.

Thanks for figuring that out!

I would call that a bug in the installer -- the NSIS script has "RequestExecutionLevel admin" in it, but apparently it did not ask you for the admin rights, or thought it had it already, or it asked and you refused and it tried to install anyway. Meh.

Next release I will make a Windows package which you just download, unpack and run.

andrewj said:

Thanks for figuring that out!

I would call that a bug in the installer -- the NSIS script has "RequestExecutionLevel admin" in it, but apparently it did not ask you for the admin rights, or thought it had it already, or it asked and you refused and it tried to install anyway. Meh.

Next release I will make a Windows package which you just download, unpack and run.

It didn't ask me for right because I installed it in my user folder, i.e. c:/users/yokai/doom/eureka

instead of program files or similar system folder.

Let me try installing in Program Files to check if it crashes or if ti asks for rights.

Yokai said:

Let me try installing in Program Files to check if it crashes or if ti asks for rights.

Installing the program into "Program Files" with Admin rights seems to solve the problem.

Thanks Yokai for testing that out.

I added some text to the Download page that says admin rights may be needed for the installer to work properly.

And I still plan for the next release to just be a download, unpack and run it thing -- that way seems to cause the least amount of problems for people.

Had to do some map updates last night and I tried Eureka.
I was hoping it would do some things better than Yadex.
If I had more time to explore I might have got farther.

1. About screen does not show what version of Eureka it is.

2. The font is too light and too thin. I have to take off my glasses and peer at screen to read anything. White bold on black, or Green on Black, is my preference.

3. Could not find a tools menu. So could not align textures, or make stairs, or do any of those other special operations that I use in Yadex. There ought to be a tools menu so the user does not have to search, or dive for manuals, or explore the key bindings preference.

4. Still have problems with the texture arrangement. By the time I peered at the textures, figured out which is side 1 and which is upper, I forgot why I was looking.

5. The checking complained about the Boom generalized linedefs.
They are 'unknown' and the message supposes they require tags.

6. There was another message about mismatched sectors, I could not figure out what it meant. This Wad had been checked by Yadex, and played, so I do not expect there to be any actual wad errors.