Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Anyone else having trouble leaving a comment on /idgames that isn't anonymous?

Well, I remember that I changed some option in my user profile so I'm always logged in (I think this requires cookies). But then again, I never commented on idgames but I decided to give it a try. Below the empty box where you write your comment, it says Commenting as: Zed. So I typed it, submitted it, and voilá! Now, I'm far from being an expert, but maybe you have your cookies turned off? Does your username appears next to "Commenting as:"?

I hope that helps.

Zed said:

Now, I'm far from being an expert, but maybe you have your cookies turned off? Does your username appears next to "Commenting as:"?

I have my cookies on. This has never been a problem until now. My username appears as "Commenting as: Anonymous." I have no problem viewing the /newstuff Review Center.

I don't know what could be wrong. Maybe a browser setting? I guess you will have to wait for someone more experienced than me (i.e. almost everyone in here). Good luck.

By the way, if idgames is not a part of Doomworld, why is my account working there?

Because what you two are talking about is the idgames/ HTML frontend, not idgames/ itself. Doomworld doesn't run idgames/ itself, but it does run the frontend on which you can make comments.

That makes sense. So, just to be clear, Canofbacon was trying to comment on the actual idgames site, and I did it in Doomworld's frontend?

No. The idgames archive is an FTP site. It's just a collection of files. It's not even a website.

http://doomworld.com/idgames/ is Doomworld's web frontend to the idgames archive. It scrapes the contents of idgames, puts up a page with info on every file, and provides the ability to leave reviews.

The two are separate. When you upload a file, you're uploading to the former. So Doomworld has no control over submissions or what gets accepted or rejected.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. By the way, I'm aware that I hijacked the topic (unintentionally, of course) and the OP's question hasn't been answered yet (I think?). I promise it won't happen again. Have a nice day.

Canofbacon said:

I haven't been able to leave any comments that aren't anonymous. I am 100% sure I'm logged in.

Check that you haven't done something innocuous, like omit "www." from the URL when visiting the database. That's all it takes.

Okay guys I have done absolutely nothing different and somehow I can comment as Canofbacon. Thank you to whoever is looking out for me.