Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Vanilla dehacked: remove\change SS guy's chasing sound

I replaced SS guy's sprites with some mechanical thingy. I changed the pain chance to 0 so human pain sounds aren't a problem now, however the chasing sound (breathing) is totally inappropriate. Is there some way to remove SS guy's chasing sound or at least change it to someting else? I want to stay within prboom+ -complevel 2 compatibility.
Oh, and if it's possible please explain in a very simple way because I'm a total noob when it comes to dehacked stuff.

Basic explanation: You need DEHACKED or WhackEd editor. After you set it up succesfully, go to the "Things" section. Find "SS Nazi" in the list and you should be able to set his Action Sound to "-", as well as Pain Sound, or change it to any other sound. Then you let the editor generate a .deh file which you import to your wad and name "DEHACKED".

Or to have it quicker, create an empty DEHACKED lump in your wad and copy this text into it: (but anyway you'd need to add the part with painchance 0 to it)

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0
# Created with WhackEd2 0.60 build 214

# General version information
Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

# Info for WhackEd2
Engine config = udoom.cfg
IWAD = c:\program files\whacked2\doom.wad

Thing 24 (SS Nazi)
Alert sound = 0
Pain sound = 0
Death sound = 0
Action sound = 0
Another solution without DEHACKED of course is to have an "empty" Doom-format sound to replace SSNazi's sounds.

Is this what you wanted?

Awesome, thanks scifista. Ended up changing the action sound to spider's action sound (the one you usually don't get to hear because you hear their walking sound instead), which is more fair I guess (having an enemy silently creeping at you would be annoying). And good to know that the pain sound can be removed like that, now I can bring back the normal pain chance. :) Thanks again!

scifista42 said:

Another solution without DEHACKED of course is to have an "empty" Doom-format sound to replace SSNazi's sounds.

Had this idea but the problem here is that nazis share some sounds with other monsters. :)

DEHACKED is so powerful tool that I tempt you to get into it. It's in fact not that hard to make your custom enemy shoot rockets or multiple different projectiles at once, explode on death or on melee attack, or run at speed of light. Another way to spice up your wads along with custom textures and sprites :)

Memfis said:

which is more fair I guess (having an enemy silently creeping at you would be annoying).

Apparently you don't know the meaning of fear of being caught by surprise by enemies... I really gotta try Doom without those retarded ahhhh sounds.