Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

What do you think about AVGN?

It seems some members of this community are fans of the Angry Video Game Nerd. Do you think the quality of his videos has gone down? Are you going to see the AVGN movie? Overall, what are your thoughts? He doesn't seem as angry or funny to me anymore. His videos seem rushed. Hopefully the AVGN movie won't be this way.

I've kind of stopped caring about him around 2008, once the mania had died down.

I've periodically watched his shit from time to time. Kind of old schtick at this point, but he's apparently aware of the fact and has tuned his character down a notch.

As for thew movie, I don't care.

I think this angry internet reviewer shit has finally cooled down.

Also stopped caring for him around 2008 especially eversince the Superman 64 video he did which is where his videos became unwatchable where he ironically and literally became the irate gamer sort to speak.

I've also stopped caring about the entire (especially angry) internet reviewing scene altogether (including TGWTG and such) as well and now the trend has died down and declining to irrelevance.

Pretty much what Technician and Nightmare Doom said. He was new, awesome and hilarious in 2004-2008 but nowadays his videos are just embarrassing to watch, plus he completely sold out (asking for money, then selling some toys rather than other way around; promoting that dubious Cheetahmen project, etc). :\ Same with Nostalgia Critic and others. It's kinda sad.

Well, I think I watched one or two videos from him years ago, probably some of his first. I didn't really like it. He was trying to swig beer and it and his faux anger just seemed way too goddamn forced to be even taken as a joke. I would rather listen to an actual drunk person bitch about something.

I watched a lot of his early stuff; I suppose I liked it for a while but the novelty really wears thin quickly. I'd rather watch someone talk about why a game is fucking up something, how other games do it better, than "this game sucks a rat monkey shit vomit out my ass on a silver platter hurrrr"

I don't follow him closely anymore, but I love watching his show. A few months ago, my wife and I took a few days and watched all the episodes, one after another. Quite fun, and for a while I picked up his habit of saying "ASS!!!!"

Memfis said:

Pretty much what Technician and Nightmare Doom said. He was new, awesome and hilarious in 2004-2008 but nowadays his videos are just embarrassing to watch, plus he completely sold out (asking for money, then selling some toys rather than other way around; promoting that dubious Cheetahmen project, etc). :\ Same with Nostalgia Critic and others. It's kinda sad.

Yep, well during the angry internet reviewing scene's heyday (which was 2006 to be honest) it used to be some type of a hobby they did whatever they felt like it hence why it felt more 'natural' but then overtime it became less of a hobby and more of a job which I'll tell ya, corruption runs rampant when there's money involved and that's how it went all downhill.

However though, thinking back on the "angry reviewing" trend as a whole though, they're really a waste of time and intelligence watching anyways which at first it was all for cheap laughs but then the novelty wears off quickly.

I think that James Rolfe himself felt trapped in the AVGN role once the popularity and associated perks started to roll in. The first few episodes are much more experimental and carefree than the long slog to follow.

His writing and the tone of his reviews get dull with repetition but I still appreciate his craft from afar. His editing and technical skills are way above the Youtube average. I've also learned a few things from him about gaming history that I wouldn't have bothered to Google.

Hijack: What do you think about Homestar Runner? I bet you haven't even remembered that it exists in years, but I also bet you enjoyed watching Strong Bad emails in high school.

Memfis said:

plus he completely sold out (asking for money, then selling some toys rather than other way around; promoting that dubious Cheetahmen project, etc). :\ Same with Nostalgia Critic and others. It's kinda sad.

How DARE he make a living entertaining others! How DARE he follow his dreams of making his own feature length movie! He should be swiping the streets like the rest of us!

He doesn't have the acting skills or personality to merit the level of attention he's gotten. There's a million awkward young men like him.

What Creaphis said, basically. Although I have been enjoying his Mike and James Play series. AVGN has kind of run its course, but there will never be enough of James Rolfe on Youtube. I love the guy.

I am disappointed this thread is not about Jaakko Järvinen. It's not fair.

I am still watching James's videos, and enjoy his other/side projects as well. Hell, I even watch the Irate Gamer (which IMO complements James nicely). As far as AVGN knockoffs go, he's simply the best (well...compared to the others!) and also one of the oldest ones around, being in the "business" almost as long as James.

Maes said:

I am still watching James's videos, and enjoy his other/side projects as well. Hell, I even watch the Irate Gamer (which IMO complements James nicely). As far as AVGN knockoffs go, he's simply the best (well...compared to the others!) and also one of the oldest ones around, being in the "business" almost as long as James.

This pretty much mirrors my opinion.

Watched his videos years ago, got tired of his schtick after about 15 seconds. Who's the other loudmouthed fuckface "angry gamer" on YouTube? I hate that guy, too. In fact - anyone who thinks they can amuse others by being obnoxious and loud, they can go ahead and stimulate their prostates with a steak knife.

Well, many wannabe-AVGN think that all it takes to be "the" AVGN is just sitting in front of a game filming yourself with a crappy camera and yelling "shit", "fuck" and "poop" randomly every 10 seconds. The real deal actually does a bit more than that, and uses good editing, scripts, effects etc. and even the swearing/F-bombing is interspersed with genuine complaints and facts about the game, the console, the technology, its history etc. No wonder, since James is actually a professional filmmaker and did that way before he started this AVGN story as a side project, something which most wannabes cannot match. Let alone that as far as console/game collectors go, he's certainly the real deal.

IMO, the Irate Gamer is the only one who tries to copy James in this respect too (is an amateur filmmaker, tried to use scripts, other characters, special effects etc.), albeit he compares quite poorly to James in nearly every domain. Still a couple of notches up from other wannabes that think that derping in from of a digicam and an emulator will make them the next AVGN.

I think he's pretty funny, but sometimes he gets a little overboard with the cursing. Not that it offends me, I just think he would be funnier if he used profanity less.

he's a pretty cool guy. i like him and what he does. also really dig his voice, it compliments his videos well. not sure if he's really getting any worse; after over 100 episodes, it's hard to come up with something new i guess. he still manages to be really entertaining, though, and is far better at video-editing than most of Youtube users "cut shit in mid-sentence and paste together random shit because it's fun" stuff.

Currently AVGN (the character himself) isn't at the top of the series IMO, but the last episode was still decent for some chuckles. If you ask me, some of James's other projects have become more entertaining, like Board James. The one where the phone is a psycho killer is fucking hilarious and a triple-A quality production.

I also like the ones where Mike Matei and him just shoot the shit and play Atari or draw stuff in Mario Paint. Those guys are funny together.