Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

What do you think about AVGN?

exp(x) said:

I enjoy his videos but not his taste in beer.

Didn't he switch from "Rolling Rock" to "the local brew" which he should "stick to", at some point?

exp(x) said:

From what I could tell, it looked like some equally shitty lager.

But that's probably due to all beer in the USA being apparently made from either dog, cat, goat, horse and jackass urine, or from a concoction of corn syrup, colouring and reject malt liquor (hey, at least that what I hear from Americans around forums). So unless the AVGN imported quality lager directly from Germany, probably nothing he could buy in the USA would be good enough :-p

America has a stronger craft brewery culture than any other country. Just because it isn't mainstream does not mean it does not exist.

I've never gotten the stereotype that all American beer sucks. It's not that there aren't good American beers, it's that the average American prefers filtered piss water. To me, that's kind of like saying that since McDonald's is so popular, Americans don't know how to make good hamburgers. It's just that a lot of people prefer cheap, bland, generic crap - doesn't mean you can't get higher-quality food and drinks.

geekmarine said:

I've never gotten the stereotype that all American beer sucks.

I think beer is terrible regardless of where it's from.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I think you're terrible, then.

Maybe I just have a different taste, there's absolutely no need to get all defensive about a mere beverage, I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else.

Avoozl said:

I think beer is terrible regardless of where it's from.

But you might be in for a Catch-22 situation here, if you got this idea of beer's terribleness precisely because you only drank said terrible American filtered jackall-in-heat piss, corn syroup, artificially colored etc. stuff ;-)

Avoozl said:

Maybe I just have a different taste, there's absolutely no need to get all defensive about a mere beverage, I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else.

i don't see anything defensive about his post at all. also, if you say that x thing sucks, then you should at least expect there to be people that dislike your opinion.

Doomhuntress said:

i don't see anything defensive about his post at all. also, if you say that x thing sucks, then you should at least expect there to be people that dislike your opinion.

Well I meant how he basically said something of me just because I don't like something. I'm not trying to say it sucks, just that I find it bad for my own tastes, I probably should've phrased that differently though.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, don't take what I said seriously. Really though, I have to agree with Maes (except jackal piss is too exotic).

No problem, I can "settle" for horse, cojote, rabid dog, cattle, cat-in-heat etc. urine as well. Only the "best" for my American "friends".

Maes said:

No problem, I can "settle" for horse, cojote, rabid dog, cattle, cat-in-heat etc. urine as well. Only the "best" for my American "friends".

However, in the light of recent events, tiger piss would seem to be the most apt one. :P

*badum-tish*

I think people who call AVGN a sell-out need to go into the real world and learn how things work.

He has always wanted to be a film-maker. He has created a memorable character for himself that has become a Youtube legend and is widely quoted today. Millions of desperate people are failing to emulate the AVGN's success in one way or another, even as you read this.

Much of the AVGN's work has been exceptional. Yeah the Bible Games, Wally Bear and MC Kids were crap and boring but for each of those failures he's had two dozen successes. He's diversified and more than that he's matured somewhat (apart from people pooing on things). As my friend put it, "He does the things people just talk about".

Why on God's green earth should this bloke not enjoy the immense success his hard work had brought? Should he not make money from his dream job just because some people he doesn't know or give a shit about remember when he did something for free?

MajorRawne said:

Why on God's green earth should this bloke not enjoy the immense success his hard work had brought? Should he not make money from his dream job just because some people he doesn't know or give a shit about remember when he did something for free?

Jealousy, and because apparently giving free entertainment for hundreds of thousands, if not over a million people isn't a real job.

Shadow Hog said:

Funny, I thought "Bible Games" was one of his better videos.

Baby Moses, BABY MOSES, BABY MOSES!!!

What do people think is his best video? The first one I saw was Nightmare on Elm Street. His ingenious way of finding another three players made me a fan. Oh and "taste the major suckage, ya fuckin' nerd".

In fairness, the game didn't look that bad.

MajorRawne said:

What do people think is his best video?

Well, hotdog aerials is something I'll never forget.

I really enjoyed the Godzillathon and his Retrospective on Castlevania. Two of my very favorite things in this world.

AVGN specific episodes that I enjoy are anything LJN related and the Ghostbusters game(s) reviews.

MajorRawne said:

What do people think is his best video? The first one I saw was Nightmare on Elm Street. His ingenious way of finding another three players made me a fan. Oh and "taste the major suckage, ya fuckin' nerd".

In fairness, the game didn't look that bad.

The entire three-part Halloween series from that year I still regard as the absolute high-point of the entire series. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and the Power Glove episode, back-to-back. He's done plenty of good episodes since but there's something those three have that hasn't been recaptured IMO :P

I'm providing redundant opinions, but I think he's a really likable guy, and although he's had plenty of terrible episodes, he's had some really funny ones too. The super hands-on episodes with obscure consoles are a very valuable contribution to gaming history IMO.

Best episodes to me are most of the old console episodes, Silver Surfer, Ninja Gaiden (the only time a side character has worked really well), Castlevania retrospective, and most of the very recent ones like Tiger Electronics and Atari Sports.