Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Kama Sutra

Magnusblitz said:

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting Hurricyclone's reality playthrough of MAP31.

It's not gonna happen.

Map 03 - Mr. Adolph Kill You - 100% Kills - HMP Skill

A fun quirky and short level. The rather quiet intro area and feeling that this would be a walk in the park was silenced as soon as I stepped outside to the slime area and all the imps appeared. From that point on, there was many similar ambushes throughout the level.

I actually found this to be an easier level than the last two, mainly because most of the encounters could be easily dodged and you weren't often trapped in a hallway or small room like in the previous two levels. Even the lone revenant didn't get a single shot at me.

The level design of the authors is starting to stand out due to the quirky nature of some of the designs, like the mini boat, the skybridge, and the not-secret secret area with the level's namesake. Overall, a nice fun level, I'm starting to appreciate this wad the further I get in it.

joe-ilya said:

MAP01: Into The Underground UV

Kind off a tnt map01 ripoff : They both use berserk as the primary gun.

lolwut?

KS is one of my favs, and in co-op its fantastic! Might join in on some random maps for this one, but not going to follow you guys regularly.

Mr. Adolf Kill You - K:100% S:100%

I liked this one more than the last map, mostly because I wasn't put in a powerless position against chaingunners and with only one Revenant, I was pleased. The Archie trap was a little too obvious. It was hard to keep my bullets up and my ammo got low but by the end I was back to full. The imps in the sludge didn't trigger right away for some reason. Overall a nice little map.

map03: Map 03 - Mr. Adol(f) Kill You
100% kills - 100% secrets on UV:
layout: much more polished that the former two, Very nice looking and good use of lighting
gameplay: pretty decent, a bit easier than level two, I'm begining to like this megawad. btw I don't know the meaning of starting a level in a secret area, I've seen that in other mapsets, I don't get the joke.

Darkreaver said:

KS is one of my favs, and in co-op its fantastic! Might join in on some random maps for this one, but not going to follow you guys regularly.

Hopefully the reason you don't have time to go all the way is that you're too busy making more maps for Revelations of Doom!

nicolas monti said:

btw I don't know the meaning of starting a level in a secret area, I've seen that in other mapsets, I don't get the joke.

It's done so that the original .exe and many ports will not show a 0% for 'Secrets' on the tally screen for maps like this, which don't have any actual official secrets (although this one has the unmarked super-secret, of course).

Map 04 -- Water Base - 120% Kills / No actual secrets (Except there kind of are....)
My lack of goodness, that's quite the generic mapname, isn't it? The influence from "Shackled" from HR II is quite pronounced here, especially at the map's entrance and exit, but the two don't really play a whole lot alike--this one is quite a bit better, in my opinion.

I must say, it's more than a bit on the ugly side (again, not unlike "Shackled" or a lot of the other early HR II maps), albeit more where texture usage is concerned than regards structure itself--the majority of Doom II's different brick/masonry textures (including the blood-red ones) are all used in close proximity to one another, the grey marble with green baronface bas-reliefs shows up at some point, and you can see some pretty gnarly sky-cutoffs if you decide to look at the main play areas while running around in the water (which you can do freely past a certain point), but I reckon the crowning absurdity is that one of the two main buildings--very orthogonal, with regular windows, etc.--is made out of dirt......with computer panels set into it. Yeah.....

I can't help but like that superfluous crusher rig (highlighted by a bunch of floating burning barrels) with a pile of gore on it off to the side, though, I admit.

Fortunately it's a lot more pleasant to play than it is to look at. After another brisk imp-punching warmup, more decidedly cruel short-range hitscanner placement ensures that the most difficult (and least elegant) part is right at the beginning, when you try to grab the combat shotgun without being perforated by chaingunners or blown to smithereens by revenants. Well, this is optional in all senses, I suppose, but you'll definitely want the SSG when you're off trying to get the yellow key. Whether you get the SSG or not, you eventually end up ducking into Dirtbase Poseidon, where the entrance will cheekily seal behind you. From here, you have to tear through a big clump of impmeat (toldja you'd want the SSG), after which point the action quickly begins to accelerate to a breakneck place: once you head back outside, a well-judged series of monster closets, teleportation waves, and more hitscanner dickery ensure that you're fighting hard for the rest of the map. Initially stymied in your attempt to get the yellow key, you'll end up teleporting back to the start room where there'll be a huge crowd of zombies to massacre (I suspect they originate from that weird red brick building on the perimeter) before some point-blank ambushes in the dirtbase, capped off by some delightful arch-vile deployment, likely to result in most or all of that big clump of impmeat from earlier being resurrected--right after you've just gotten a BFG to tear through it all again, no less. :D

There's a little bit of extra play to be squeezed out of the map, as well. As in map 03, you begin in the map's only 'secret' sector and thus will always finish with 100% secrets, but there's a tricky-to-reach unofficial super-secret with a soulsphere and a combat vest that you can look for if thus inclined, their existence being openly advertised right at the exit. Perhaps the trickiest thing of all, though, is getting a 100% item score--that one health potion is really well-hidden, in what I can only assume is a more or less good-natured jab at compulsive completionists. Again, that's the kind of quirk that defines this mapset.

Map04: Water Base

Fun map. Still on the short side but I felt the difficulty ramps up a notch here. The kid gloves are definitely coming off if there even were such to begin with. Aesthetically it's a delightful mess of different textures and weird architectural details. This is really the distinct Kama Sutra style that I find so appealing. It's very rough and even a bit ugly but the quirkiness just puts a smile on my face which is all you can really ask for. I didn't even know about that health potion until DoTW pointed it out and I went looking for it. Pretty funny placement for sure haha.

The gameplay is top notch for an early map. I died several times in the first outdoor area until I settled for sniping some of the hitscanners off before rushing for the SSG. Clearing the first imp horde isn't particularly tough but the fact that if you leave the Revs alive before tackling that room, they can and will hit you with their missiles through the window if you stand around the doorway for too long. I think that's great attention to detail and I know I assumed I was safe when the dirtwall closed behind me for the first time. Needless to say I was very wrong.

The first Archie is also rather deviously placed. If given the chance he'll resurrect the Sarges there which are a legit threat at such close range. You can't really run for cover either since letting the AV run free is the last thing you want to happen. This is followed by a token hitscanner massacre in the starting room and then a series of monster closet ambushes and teleporting monster traps to finish off the level. They're pretty easily dealt with if you know what's coming but for first timers not so much.

MAP04 Water Base

*Regular Run*

A lot of fun to be had here. I actually ran by most of the enemies. cuz it's fun to do so. Fun to play reckless, and I like the stuff in the distance (that place with the barrels, as well as the zombiemen in the red window to the right of the start). Too early for a BFG though, but I don't care too much cuz I didn't use it. I'm not a fan of "Taking Names" though, not one of my favorite Duke tracks. Final Time 1:59.

*Reality Run*

I grogged some shit here when I shouldn't have. Monsters sometimes don't teleport often and that kinda screws me up a bit. I sadistically kill the zombiemen in the red window in the distance with my chaingun before catering to business elsewhere. Where the blue key was, I had some problems with the sargeants, and then there's this imp behind my back on the helipad firing at me, he gets me a few times. After grabbing the key I don't go into the teleporter as there's lotsa zombies at my destination, choosing instead to take the long way back. Nothing much interesting anywhere else though. Okay run. Final Time 3:47.

Map04 - “Water Base” by Adolf Vojta
This was fun, forgot to pick up the ssg at the start *derp*, made the blue key area a little more interesting as I had to skip the imps, this led to multiple deaths, thanks arch-vile.
There are plenty of crowded spots and plenty of tricky moments, but once the bfg is acquired, the map settles down a little, in the end the BFG isn't really needed.
Real hodge-podge on theme but I like it, it's certainly the inherited style in this wad.

Map04 - “Water Base” by Adolf Vojta

This is the first map I distinctly remember from the last time I played this wad, really interesting and fun layout and quirky design (what was that crusher all about?). Its action packed and full of traps, has some big monsters and big weapons (bfg??), one of the things I like most about it is the option it gives you to freely wander around the outside area checking it all out. It doesn't provide any alternative route or even that much of a fighting advantage, but its fun having the choice. Nicest looking map so far too. Love that music track as well. Good stuff.

darkreaver said:

KS is one of my favs, and in co-op its fantastic!

Coop in KS is more like, what in the fudge am I playing the same wad? Seriously this isn't funny.

MAP04 Water Base - UV - no savestates - scratch start - 5 restarts - 100% secrets 100% kills 100% items - non-tagged secrets 1\1.

It plays like MT.erebus from doom:It's an open map with lots of water around the islands.

It's another berserk time ,those imps are turned with their back to you ,too bad the fist swing wakes up them D:.
I first go to the exit teleporter and grab a shotgun because there are a lot of gunners that hide in those forts and the fist ain't gonna help you!

I first kill the gunners in the first window after that I collect the shells scattered around and get myself an SSG on that higher platform and quickly grab the medicine in the corner and stright to that right fort and collect the ammo of the fallen foes , and then open a mossy rock which opens like a door and SSG imps to death!
And then go to that cliff and collect the stuffed boxes and kill the arachtron once you step on the white rock and you can collect the yellow card , but it's unfair and it wastes a lot of ammo, plus there's an archvile trap that will eventually resurrect some of the hell knights and more.

Without waking the cacos up I kill some chaingunners and get in that submarine with the blue card:Now that archvile trap, It's easy if you know how to hide from the fire after killing it.
I wake the cacos and kill them (duh!) and I get into the right cave and collect a soulsphere and some shells, after that I go to the left cave and go back to the start exept it spammed with zombies, so quickly get out and sneak shoot them and then open the blue door and kill the revenants if you didin't did it earlier.
Get the RL and when grabing that red skull rocket the revenant trap afterwards then get to that uac logo step from your left and then onto the brown ledge then turn left and go to the last UAC logo , open it and get a soulsphere with the blue armor(I call that a "blue secret")

Then I go into that revenant alcove trap and get to the left door and kill the gunners(if you didin't kill them from the window) then get through enemies of that other door go down and push a switch and kill imps and get a BFG(whoa) I actually kill the enemies out of that window and quickly go throught the red skulled door and when opening that rock door fire a BFG blast and then get the yellow key on that highway thing(legally) and jump into the water and kill stuff after that get to the exit teleport and push both of the buttons and go to the exit.
I like that map but the next map is better!

MAP03: A map I don’t have much to comment on. The small boxing arena for the yellow key was tough to get through for me since using the keyboard doesn’t grant you a lot of accuracy for punching, and I think it’s most likely going to be an ominous sign of things to come.

MAP04: I liked this one a bit more than the others although there’s a few sections where enemies crowd a door and it’s obnoxious to fight through (like the imps). The yellow key ambush was pleasant and I’m glad to see the AV used in more tricky situations, so this was alright overall. Still not a fan of flooding an area with hitscanners when you return to it

The Water Base - K:100% S:100%

Most of my time spent on this level was trying to get the damn Soul sphere and Mega Armor.

I really enjoyed the openness to this level and absolutely loved that you could run out into the water if things got too hairy and give yourself some space. This made the map easier than the previous two if you ask me, not to mention the BFG, lol. The hallmarks of this wad has definitely been the mix of styles in map design and the belief that everything in the level is rigged with a trap. The recurring monster at the helipad was a nice touch. and I cleared many of the rooms more than once, which is not always a bad thing.

The BFG I believe was put on purpose to take out the Arch-Vile in the imp room, because after clearing it and then watching the AV undo all of your hard work, he deserves nothing less than a BFG to the face. Probably my favorite map thus far by quite a bit.

Map 04 - The Water Base - Kills 100% - HMP Skill.

Despite its seemingly generic name, this is a really fun level, probably the best one so far.

Combat-wise, it has similar elements to the last one, many enemies suddenly appear in tight places such as when you are transported back to the start room and come face to face with dozens of former humans and sergents.

While there were no secrets in this map, I felt the megasphere area behind the exit could easily have been considered one. Especially since I saw no way to reach it unless you had an archvile launch you up there.

Overall, good level, I still haven't found anything too difficult although I bet that will soon change.

joe-ilya said:

It plays like MT.erebus from doom:It's an open map with lots of water around the islands.

You make the strangest comparisons. This map isn't anything like Mt. Erebus besides having a liquid area surrounding it. You don't even need to step into the water once here to complete it.

MAP04: The Water Base
100% kills, 1/1 "secrets"

I probably shouldn't play these maps when I'm tired and can't think of much to say. Um...it's ok, like most of the maps so far. Not much to look at, some weird design choices, but some good shooty-shooty. Like dobu, I'm not a fan of crowding a huge amount of enemies behind a door - it's fun for the first time if it's something like imps (shooting gallery!) but after that it gets boring. (Putting the AV in there was better). Also don't like being teleported into the middle of a bunch of hitscanners. And I didn't like the room with the imps near the BFG... bit bullshity, ah well. I liked the use of the AVs and the mix of chaingunners/other monsters in windows early on. Later the monsters get a bit slogfest (especially the hell knights).

Pizzabob: As joe-ilya noted, you can make the jump from the blue door to the UAC ledge, to the brown ledge (though the jump to the brown ledge can be difficult since you need to stop your momentum or go into the water). I'm not sure how to get the "hidden" blue health bottle without AV jumping though.

You reach the health bonus by using the corner of one of the seats in the boat cabin as a sort of ramp/jump while moving quickly at the correct angle. There are a few other secrets in the WAD (some of them 'official') that use this same idea, if I recall correctly.

Map 05 -- Klondike - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
This is certainly the most thematically coherent map thus far. It's some kind of mining or tunnel complex winding through some more seaside cliffs; the player starts in the tunnels and finishes up out by the sea. Texture usage is a lot less wacky here, generally quite sensible, really--the brown earthen tunnels look much as one would expect (the author's noted inspiration from Alien Vendetta's 'Nemesis' is quite apparent, here), while the exterior cliffs are a uniform slate-grey, dotted with stunted vegetation and the tiny wood/brick ruins of a few rustic cabins and other quaint little buildings. There's also another one of those scale-illusion constructs that Gusta seems to like, this one being a fairly spiffy lighthouse.

It looks better than the other maps thus far, certainly, but it doesn't play as well as some of the others. For the most part, this is because it's really very corridor-y throughout. I suppose this makes a certain degree of sense in terms of setting (mines, crevices in the rocky hillside, etc.), but in gameplay terms it amounts to shooting a lot of meat that clogs up the passageways in front of you over and over and over again, this being exacerbated by less overall utility of the berserk pack and a fairly late appearance of the SSG. Because it is also highly linear and doesn't re-use any of its space, there is also always a previously-cleared area to fall back to should you get cold feet (not that you should, as many of the exterior monsters are either A) imps or B) prone to infighting or C) both of the above), so there's no real pressure--the most complex fight is probably the caco/chaingunner flank on that little bridge (which you can ignore completely if you want to), and the most dangerous is actually probably the little pain elemental cave early on, owing mostly to a relative lack of chaingun ammo.

One of the 'official' secrets must be part of the required route (the yellow key cave, maybe?), because I got it without realizing I'd done so. The second is actually one of those fiddly little rampjumps like I mentioned above, netting one a soulsphere that takes any stress out of that part of the map. I found the super-secret for the first time on this playthrough, as well--it's just a little piece of scenery and a combat armor (not booby-trapped like in map 03, incidentally).

Not great, not awful, not one of the WAD's shining stars.

Map05: Klondike

Ehh, bit of a letdown after a great map04 but still decent. Visually very coherent but aside from the lighthouse and the few extra details in the outdoor area, it's not really that interesting to look at. Feature's another one of Gusta's special secret places, this time it's Razak's grave. Gameplay is decent although very corridor-centric. Imps are the main antagonist in this map for the most part and they clog up the free spaces effectively. The final battle with variety of middleweight monsters teleporting in is easily the highlight of the map. Free megasphere ensures you can run around the battlefield as aggressively as you want. Missed the soulsphere secret and the monsters within in my playthrough, blah.

MAP05 Klondike

*Regular Run*

Killing monsters for a Klondike Bar I see? As far as levels go, this is very cool in design. Really easy too. I like the rocky sections (most definitely inspired by MAP11 of AV) the most. The lighthouse in the distance, as well as Method's tomb (not a secret) are cool stuff as well. I dealt with imps most of the time and it was a breeze. But I had to noclip near the end as somehow the gate leading to the last switch wouldn't lower. I do wonder why out of two secrets in the map, one is a dead giveaway. Final Time 2:19.

*Reality Run*

Also easy, no hitscanners until I'm out of the brown rock area. But still too easy; I even managed to kill the lost souls without them attacking me due to deep water effects. Still, one of my easier runs. This was a map in which I took a lot of consideration for a reality run. Final Time 3:25.

Map05 - “Klondike” by Adolf Vojta

This map seems more visually coherent than previous ones, the caves and mountain setting is nicely atmospheric and there are some nice touches like the lighthouse. Gameplay-wise it suffers a bit from its own structure, winding tunnels don't give enemies much scope for attacking you from anywhere other than ahead, and there are many corners to avoid their fire. One of the earlier caverns had 2 pain elementals who's lost souls couldnt get to you through the entrance, making them no more than ammo sinks. The only real danger came from revenants - mancubi were pinned down by their own size, and the climactic teleport ambush was easily avoided by simply walking back up the stairs and shooting everything from round the corner, since nothing followed you up the stairs. I missed 5 monsters somewhere, dunno where they were hiding. Nice looking map but a bit pedestrian and shotgunny compared to what we've had.

Magnusblitz said:

You don't even need to step into the water once here to complete it.

So does MT.erebus.

MAP05- klondike - scratch start - UV - no deaths - maximum through
This map plays like a maze at the water cave at first but then you get out for fresh air and a water view...Wonderful and go through rocky passages , this map reminds me of plutonia : That's why I like the map.
I like the next map too , cya next day folks.

Klondike - K:100% S:100%

This map was a bit of a letdown compared to Water Base, although I didn't miss the large gatherings of hitscanners.

The opening was easy enough and the cave tunnels ensure you minimize any damage you would receive from Imps and the stray Lost Soul from a Pain Elemental. Once you leave the tunnels, it's a whole different ball game.

I really love the use of Mancubi in this map. The Mancubus in my opinion, is one of, if not, the most underrated monsters in the lot. What makes them difficult in this map is that we still have not collected a Plasma Gun, the (my) prime weapon for taking one out. Their fireball pattern is easy enough to learn, but when actually playing it can still pull out a surprise on you.

The Megasphere was the most obvious trap, especially when you can hear monsters in the background but haven't found and killed them yet. I made good use of the surrounding environment, that little tree in the corner saved me from taking a Revenant missile for sure!

It took me some time to find the secrets, but I managed to find the Soulsphere and the Megaarmor, I feel quite confident going into the next level with 200% in both categories.

joe-ilya said:

So does MT.erebus.

Yeah except for the fact that both the exits are in the water...

MAP05: Klondike
95% kills, 1/2 secrets (+ grave)

Yeah, this was a step down so far. Not only is it very linear, but it's obviously linear, with a bunch of narrow caves and then some linear rocky pathways. Actually kinda reminded me of the section of Mass Effect 3 on Palaven. The only fight with any real teeth is near the end (megasphere ambush) and even that is underwhelming since the player can just snipe from the staircase.

I agree with Veinen that looks-wise it's nice and coherent but still kinda boring since it's just the same two rock textures (though I did appreciate the visual trick with the ladder and the stalagmite/tites). Also not sure why the map is called Klondike when there's nothing snowy around.

I'm a bit behind. :P

MAP03: Mr Adolf Kill You!

I found this one kind of weird: depending on how you play, all the monsters are dead by the time you get the yellow key. Still pretty enjoyable though, and the secret is pretty humorous. I dunno why it isn't marked as secret though.

Props for the exciting name. :P Gameplay is pretty frantic, but somehow I managed to beat it first try: the only reason I didn't beat MAP03 first tome was the easter egg. Heh. The Archies can catch you by surprise if you're not careful, but the overall map is fun and well made. It's also pretty clever, which I love. Good stuff.

Map 05 - Klondike - 100% Kills, 1/2 Secrets.

I'll echo what's already been said in that the map is the most coherently designed one so far. I also found it to be even easier than the previous two. Even the final fight wasn't too bad as long as one practices duck and cover when playing.

The lighting in the caves was a bit too dark, and certain detail elements, like the ladder in the starting room, were almost non-visible. These near-pitch black areas also were very constricting so I found navigation difficult.

With that being said, I liked the overall theme of the level, and there were certainly some nice tricks in the level such as the deep water cavern. Perhaps with a bit of tweaking, this could have been a classic level.

kills 100%, several deaths in a careless hurry for taking down that archvile.
Nice map, strange visuals sometimes but the traps were enjoyable and despite some mistakes on my own the map was nothing too hard, I enjoyed exploring the map through the water and killing some monsters from outside.