Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duh

Under rated/underplayed mods worth playing

Well I recently found vrack2b.wad which I thought was okay, on idgames it's rating is upto 4.5 but with only 57 votes which isn't that high compaired to the best wads.

There are so many I could mention, I think at least right now I'll limit the list to Doom I, at least full episodes, and within the last five years (2008 or later). That should be manageable. So here would be the worthwhile ones I recall:

E1 wads:
Danne's E1
Knee Deep in the Undead
Phobos Massacre

E2:
f_ep2.wad
Deimos Deja Vu
Beyond Horrible!

E3:
Styx

Megawad:
Needs More Detail (DTWID seems to get all the attention nowadays, leaving this gem undiscussed)

Bonus mention to Doom Redemption, it is well over five years, but it never got much attention at all and is a really nice episode with some of all the original styles.

there is Deus Vult II, i know people have played it, but i think to finish it its kind of hard to imagine, but its a fucking awesome wad(and its quite known in doom community)

ps. i'm drunk

LodiB88 said:

Megawad:
Needs More Detail (DTWID seems to get all the attention nowadays, leaving this gem undiscussed)

It's amazing how this Needs More Detail is fun to play despite having so short, simple, easy and generously balanced maps, because it uses these aspects as advantages! Thanks for mentioning it, otherwise I wouldn't know it exists!

END1.WAD
a pair of unusual and vicious Ultimate Doom episodes culminating in a very silly quadruple cyberdemon arena, I play this one a lot. one of the secret levels has a built-in invasion mode of a sort - I always appreciate it when the secret levels are sufficiently distinguishable from the main line!

A.L.T.
a full level and partial sound replacement. thirty two super atmospheric maps, pseudo-realistic settings with a sense of building structure and a vague plot that ties them together. you wander a lot, you jump off crates, you find 4px buttons hidden in computer consoles. this kind of stuff hits my sweet spot since I'm no deathmatcher. then again, level 15 is long and mercilessly lethal but it's just so intriguingly put together.

Eternal Doom, MARSWAR and TVR! are more well-known level sets still worth recommending.

LodiB88 said:

Gotta thank for this recommend. Halfway through E1 right now, and I'm loving it.

I think I'll cover Doom II by year starting with last which I also seem to remember most from. May miss some though. All have 3 levels at least.

2012:
Can't Run From Evil
A Taste for Blood
Surge
Skepland
Sinister Intention
Sparta
Titan 1024
Eternally Yours

Drawing complete blank with 2011 right now, but I got a couple from 2010:
Beyond Revivial
Spire (by Foodles)
Into Hell

Oh also I'm leaving out top 10 cacowards, but they're worth looking at. They do have occasional less discussed stuff.

I liked "First Skulldemon's Doom" quite a bit. It's very rare, I found it on this Japanese site. It contains 13 vanilla classic style maps, gets a bit slaughter-ish at times but not too difficult.

Another obscure Japanese wad that I know is cyx00. Found it here. It's pretty newbie-ish but it has some fun short HR- and Scythe- inspired levels. The gameplay is often somewhat puzzle-like, meaning that it might take you some time to learn thing placement and figure out the winning route.

Memfis said:

I liked "First Skulldemon's Doom" quite a bit. It's very rare, I found it on this Japanese site. It contains 13 vanilla classic style maps, gets a bit slaughter-ish at times but not too difficult.

Could you upload it somewhere? The link on the site isn't working for me.

More Doom II episodes (a few megawads) for a couple years:

2009:
Titan 2
Baker's Dozen
Mini-level Megawad
Imperfection has its Charms
Doom 2 Reloaded
Nordhell

2008:
32 Inch Nails
Data Center
Italian Doom Lost Levels
Dark Resolution

2007:
Hatoma Battles the Yomi Demons
Remain Chapter 1

Rofl, End1 and 2 are epic! One of the best Doom 1 wads ever ;)

Linking for great justice.

The Beginning of the End - Part 1

The Beginning of the End - Part 2

Invasion II - I'd say this is criminally underrated, it has a unique design aesthetic.

Fragport - Phenomenal, especially being a 1 man effort, consistently high quality and innovative design.

Armadosia - Haven't finished this yet due to it's sheer size, map's are as large as Eternal Doom but without all the complexity and puzzles, very epic design and effort though.

Ludicrously hidden gem.

Every map by Richard Wiles

Vile Flesh - One of my favorite, shame the author went nuts afterwards and vanished.

Baker's Dozen - Oozing with quality but that's Eternal for you, but this was my favorite map set of his.

Eternal Memories - Pretty good if you like slaughter and wanted to play Eternal Doom without giving up every 5 minutes.