Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

Can Doom64 monsters open doors?

I'm trying to set up a very basic trap where some shotgun guys hear your gunfire and open hidden doors to ambush you. I've tried using line action 1 and 2 doors, with and without a tag in the case of 1, with the use flag set, but the shotgun guys will never open the door.

In PC Doom, this trap would be as simple as using line action 1 for the door. Is there anything special that needs to be done for it to work in Doom64 or are monsters simply incapable of opening doors in this game?

Actually Linedef tag 1 (DR Door Open Wait Close (also monsters)) can be opened by monsters, and is used pretty often in Doom.

I don't know shit about Doom 64 though except that it has colored lighting and PSX Doom soundfx.

jdagenet said:

Unless I'm mistaken, monsters can't open doors in the game.

That's what I figured, I'll probably just use a walkover trigger for it instead. I was mostly just curious for other situations; walkover isn't always a good solution.

Dragonsbrethren said:

That's what I figured, I'll probably just use a walkover trigger for it instead. I was mostly just curious for other situations' walkover isn't always a good solution.

You could always try the old vanilla DooM way of making monsters spawn into rooms.
Just put your monsters in a sector outside the map that your sound can reach to awaken the monsters so that way the monsters can walk into a teleporter.
It isn't exactly what you're wanting but it's all I can think of that's somewhat along the lines.