Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Obscure, OFFICIAL Doom ports

Anybody experienced these Doom ports before?

-Doom II for Zodiac
-Doom for PocketPC
-Doom for Windows CE

The latter 2, I knew about a couple of years ago, then almost completely forgot until today. I can't find much info, if any, on the Windows CE port, though.

Note: I'm talking about OFFICIAL obscure Doom ports.

Doom ce from what I found is only downloadable to the pocket pc or your PDA . From what I found it contains the shareware version plus the registered version for the full episodes . There are two ports for windows ce doom legacy and the second one is doom4ce ports .

Yeah, there are actually a few more ports to these portable devices; but they're source ports and not "official" versions, if you will.

But I do recall reading on a forum there was a lot of hate about the Windows CE Doom, maybe it was the way you were supposed to download/buy it. Can't seem to find that thread. Anyway...

I have the Zodiac port but not the hardware to play it on. If their cards weren't using a non-standard pad arrangement I'd plug it into an SD card reader and investigate further.

GreyGhost said:

I have the Zodiac port but not the hardware to play it on. If their cards weren't using a non-standard pad arrangement I'd plug it into an SD card reader and investigate further.

There's apparently a really serious gameplay issue where the player will turn in random directions for no reason. One thing you should watch out for if ever you play that card.

After doing some more digging, it may not have been a Windows CE port, but a different version of the PocketPC port, something called DoomPDA; also by Machine Works Ltd. But I could have sworn an official WinCE version was made, too.

EDIT: Yeah, that itplaysdoom site was pretty neat back in the day. But I'm talking about official ports.

Demonicus666 said:

When we came back to America from a three-year stint in England, back in 1999, I recall that, after really liking the satellite service we got from Sky back in the UK, we switched from whatever our cable provider had been (Cox?) to Dish Network.

The DVR we had definitely had Web TV. I don't know about Plus, but it had Web TV. Plus, it had three games built in; one E-rated, one T-rated, and one M-rated. E-rated was some card game if I recall correctly; nothing worth writing home about. T-rated was You Don't Know Jack. M-rated was Doom.

Now, this was back when the idea of seeing viscera in a video game seriously turned me off (I'm still a bit squeamish, but I got over Doom's gore nearly a decade ago) as well as when I wasn't yet fond of games with a first-person perspective, so I didn't play it personally. I believe my father tried it out, though. I do recall that you had to use a special keyboard controller that came with the DVR; the standard TV remote obviously wouldn't cut it. No mouse, so you'd be stuck with keyboard controls (this would probably bother me more than it would others).

About the only thing I recall clearly is the slime pit behind the blue key in E1M6, and either the demo or my father coming up out the southern side (as you have to, if you fall down there). I don't recall if it was only Episode 1 (wouldn't be surprised if it was) or if it had the full game, and if it was the full game, whether it was Ultimate or not.

We didn't play it very much; probably just the one time. Our next DVR did not have WebTV, and as such that port of Doom is totally lost to us. I'm not too bothered, since I'm big on source ports anyway, but I'm noting it all the same.

Demonicus666 said:

Doom rpg for jamdat phones ?? I can't find this anywhere ?

Doom RPG was actually a Java version of this game, which would fit in any Java-enabled phone! Back in its day, almost every phone was capable of playing it.

I played Doom RPG on my Sony Ericsson w610i. Great game on a great phone :D