Other os doom ports Linux , Mac, beos?

Hey guys how do the other os ports of doom compare to original ms dos or even the nextstep version ?? I'm asking about the original ports no fan based ports like chocolate doom . Such as the Acorn RISC os, android , nec pc 9801, os/2 , and even the qnx version ?

I think you could have put this in your other thread. Regarding your question, I really don't understand. I mean, I think every source port out there is made by fans, is that correct? Is there any difference between an Acorn Risc port and ZDoom, or PrBoom+ for example? Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm really not an expert.

Zed said:

Is there any difference between an Acorn Risc port and ZDoom, or PrBoom+ for example? Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm really not an expert.

The Acorn RISC port is an actual commercial port as opposed to a fan project. In fact, it's the only commercial port of Heretic that I'm aware of. It has some cool stuff, but no one seems to be really interested in it: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/64543-risc-os-port-doom-heretic-hexen/

I think that's the only official port of Doom that is significantly advanced outside of the recent iOS port. (There is no official Android port.) The iOS port is based of PrBoom if I recall correctly.

Where there actual physical media you could buy the different os on ? Or where they just merly downloads ?

@Blzut3: When you say "commercial port" you mean that you actually have to pay for it?

Demonicus666 said:

Where there actual physical media you could buy the different os on ? Or where they just merly downloads ?

The RISC OS versions still appear to be available for purchase. I have no idea what exactly one receives though.

Zed said:

@Blzut3: When you say "commercial port" you mean that you actually have to pay for it?

Yes. It is, of course, officially licensed. For most of the other ports I don't know all the details. I know the Mac version is commercial as well (although there is a shareware version of Doom I believe), and that includes a 640x400 mode.