Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
duh

STBAR offset?

You won't be able to change the locations of the number displays at all. You might be able to add a crosshair by expanding STBAR to 320x200 (making sure the actual STBAR portion of the graphic is still in the right place on screen, or else there will be a HOM effect where the bar needs to be).

The status bar is drawn to an offscreen buffer of the exact size of the bar graphic - the buffer size is hard coded and not drawn from the graphics. So what you're trying to do will never work.

Quasar said:

The status bar is drawn to an offscreen buffer of the exact size of the bar graphic - the buffer size is hard coded and not drawn from the graphics. So what you're trying to do will never work.

That makes me wonder how Heretic, Hexen and Strife handle status graphics extending beyond the status bar, then. With horrible tatty hacks, no doubt. :)

For Strife at least, the two upper "wings" and any active popups are drawn to the normal framebuffer at the end of the drawing pass, so that they appear on top of anything else that draws (some code was reordered in D_Display to ensure this).

Heretic and Hexen use an entirely new module for their status bars (SB_BAR.C) that is not based on DOOM's ST_STUFF/ST_LIB modules. They also have an entirely different low-level refresh system. So in their case I'm actually not sure that it works the same at all, I'd have to go and look at the original code.

Quasar said:

Heretic and Hexen use an entirely new module for their status bars (SB_BAR.C) that is not based on DOOM's ST_STUFF/ST_LIB modules.

I hate how the armor number doesn't display in minimal HUD mode of those two games, but I don't remember if the minimal HUD mode was available in the vanilla engine or not.