Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tow-Motor

The process of digitizing clay/latex models.

So i have done a lot of searching on the intertubes to find more information about this. The whole process of making a model, or using a real-world object and scanning it in to be a sprite for a game (i.e. the Nerf gun thing for the plasma rifle, etc) is fascinating to me. I want to know how this is done, or how I could accomplish it myself. I'm not sure why or what I'd do with the information but I think it'd be fun.

I understand that they used a video camera to take shots of the models. But what did they do after that? What programs now are analogous to what they used then? What processes did they use?

If anyone can answer these questions, that would be wonderful.

The graphics for Wolfenstein were drawn completely by Adrian Carmack, but for the Doom graphics, the Id team knew it was going to need help. It enlisted the aid of professional model designer.

The models are placed on a revolving tray where they are secured to the base. There are eight pegs in the tray that represent the eight points of view that are needed by the game engine to render the creatures. Next, the models are animated frame by frame by moving the model and then rotating it to each specific vantage point the engine uses to display it.

The images are digitized by a video camera hooked up to the NeXT machine. When each frame is captured, it is imported over the network into a PC running Electronic Arts’ Dpaint, where the photographic source is translated into the resolution of the game. The images are drawn at full brightness, and the game engine varies the contrast for light sourcing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21405

So yeah, pretty much what you'd expect: Capture, palettize, clean up, mostly animate by hand (and in the case of Doomguy, edit into four/five different sprites).

Deluxe Paint was the industry standard back then; I seem to recall there being a modern freeware equivalent of it, but it doesn't seemed to be linked on that article (or I'm blind).

You're welcome. It also has a very handy palette re-mapping function, which I've used a lot.

Back on topic - a half-decent USB webcam with manual focus could probably substitute for the video camera, and provided its driver is TWAIN compliant (I expect most are) you can use IrfanView to capture snapshots, crop images and reduce their palette to 256 colours for editing.

"Cygnus is now working on a cyberpunk role-playing game using the Doom engine and all Id’s tools."

Well, that didn't happen. (Unless it became Strife)

Ragnor said:

"Cygnus is now working on a cyberpunk role-playing game using the Doom engine and all Id’s tools."

Well, that didn't happen. (Unless it became Strife)

It did, but not before Cygnus canceled the game, the staff revolted, and broke away to form Rogue Entertainment, with id's cooperation, taking the idea with them.

Strife was always Rich Fleider's baby.

Ragnor said:

That would make it older than Heretic overall would it not?

Apparently the Cygnus idea came about at around the same time but according to Rich Fleider nothing beyond basic design ideas ever got completed at that company. There was no alpha "Cygnus" version of Strife, and indeed, good luck finding any screenshots or even an announcement of the project that dates back that far. So that ended up putting them back a good year at least, such that they were developing in 1995 and released in 1996, just before id finished Quake. In the meanwhile Raven was able to complete both Heretic AND Hexen.