Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Desolate maps?

Can anyone recommend me a large, desolate map? Low monster count, a bit of platforming and puzzling, similar to E3M1 of NEiS and MAP04 of Panophobia(I know they aren't on IdGames, but they're the only examples I can think of). Any maps like that around?

EDIT: Spelling.

Phocas Island 2 fits this request somewhat. While not really "desolate" as such, it has many wide-open areas that really instill a surreal sense of being completely alone, and a great atmosphere to go with it.

also worth mentioning: ALT.WAD - most of the levels are large, to the point where Boom is required, and tend to feature platforming and switch hunts. If you play 'em on easy it's basically a new Hexen campaign :B

Xaser said:

STRAIN MAP21 comes to mind.

Though somewhat spoilt by the "skip the whole map if you want to" instant exit.

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Hellcore 2.0. The entire set is filled with desolate maps. Frankly, the gameplay isn't great, but there is a wonderful atmosphere to the whole thing.

Hellcore 2.0

Played Necron Fortress yesterday, a very weird desolate map. You will spend most of the time in a large castle with very few monsters, trying to find hidden passages and figure out confusing as hell teleporter puzzles. You might need about 50 minutes to beat it.