Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Syria

Should the U.S. stay out of Syria?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the U.S. stay out of Syria?

• Yes
    • Yes, this is the same twisting of facts & war mongering we did to go into Iraq
    • No

DooMAD said:

The Syrian government seem inclined to accept Russia's offer

Whether the rest of the UN and NATO accepts it, depends on which option will be the most profitable for the industrial-military complex.

Certainly, a "straight" war with lots of precision ammunition, cruise missiles, bombers, etc. being used will generate quite a lot of direct weapon manufacturing business, but properly disposing of chemical weapons also provides plenty of good business opportunities, contracts, etc. AND it's a long-term operation. On the other hand, a more direct military involvement and occupation with associated "rebuilding" will generate a lot of business for contractors etc. so who can tell? Only the Great God of Business.

Well, I wonder if we've been played. This magical compromise seems awfully convenient for both Russia and the US, to be honest. America and Israel get a WMD-free Syria, Russia gets diplomatic prestige they crave since the early 90's and their boy Assad stays. It's not like Obama gives a shit about free Syria, not with Al-Qaeda ready to sweep it. He might even look more like a tough-yet-reasonable hawk to morons who like their pres that way and it's Kerry who swallows the blame for the "clumsy word slip Russia exploited". Everyone knew rebels wouldn't win without a ground invasion, so... have we been watching scripted media theatrics that were supposed to lead to his point?

edit: France already has a new resolution draft for the Security Council. Mmmhmm, this was cooked in Petersburg and they kept playacting with the verbal escalation the whole weekend.

dew said:

so... have we been watching scripted media theatrics that were supposed to lead to his point?

"We give some of our ass, you give some of your ass, and we meet somewhere in the middle". The age-old game of negotiation, compromises and politics, which works well as long as all partners are rational and just want a good cut into a business deal. It only falls apart if one of the contenders is blindly fanatic or knows that he doesn't need to come down to compromises to get what he wants.

I have been following this crisis and actually talking about this on another forum. Very much an overwhelming majority calling BS on this.
Anyway the resolution looks to have already hit the buffers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24040659
So the west are moaning because Russia seem to be stalling
The Russians are moaning because the resolution apparently includes a clause which blames Assad for the Damascus chemical attack.
Can't conclude who is lying or telling the truth until some independent reports come out stating the meat and bones of this resolution.

I watched the Charlie Rose/Assad interview and I must say, Assad is one boss motherfucker. I've never seen Rose shill so hard.

In a perfect world, we'd commend him for fighting the Muslim Brotherhood scum.

Hellbent said:

shitty video

Sometimes, just sometimes, I really wish I had the power to just blow this fucking planet into bits.

Like it's some fucking internet joke that people are in reality suffering and dying somewhere and a bunch of assholes think they can fix it with a sarcastic youtube video.

Hurf durf bring on ww3 am i rite?

Rayzik said:

This is obviously bush's fault. /sarcasm

Moron wants to go to war? Let him. Maybe then people will start to see that the government is bad all around.

How many dirty wars does it take though? NAM, Iraq, Libya, do we really need to add Syria to the list before people to see the truth?

Satyr000 said:

NAM, Iraq, Libya, do we really need to add Syria to the list before people to see the truth?

What truth? Is this one of the rhetorical questions where truth = my unstated opinions?

In a different post theme, a friend posted an image relating to this topic on facebook, involving children. One of them was naked and highly emaciated, and honestly looked like an archvile child. Where better to post this observation than on Doomworld? :p

I'd like to see how many of the "war hawks" would voluntarily enlist and be sent to fight in Syria or any other "foreign war" in pure 'Nam style. This DOESN'T mean you'll be plopped on your ass commanding a cruise missile or an UAV from the safety of a base some thousands of km away from the fray, soldier.

I also don't mean that "I wanna be a Halliburton merc" shit where you'll be earning $10000 a day, nor enlist in some "serve 1 year in Iraq and pay for your college fees or get your green card, Pedro" bullshit. Also, forget all that pussified "private contractor", "catering services", "logistics support" and "intelligence" stuff, there's only so much of those needed.

I mean becoming a rag-tag, heel-clacking, morning-inspection-attention-standing dirty jarhead infantry grunt, and only getting field rations/lunch and a place to sleep in a bunk, and maybe a symbolic pay at the end of the month to buy toilet paper and razor blades (God forbid if you're caught unshaven by a superior officer!). You better start working on your spit'n polish, private.

Ah yeah..."professional army" and all that shit. Well, then write to your congressman and ask for the draft to be brought back. In this way, EVERY war the US will be involved in, even those you don't give two shits about, CAN and WILL become YOUR problem, too! WHAT?! You don't like the idea of being forcibly taken away from your job, familty, home etc., being sent to catch lead in some 3rd world shithole for a dime, and come home in a bag or missing an arm and leg, in the middle of a recession, and becoming a homeless, drunk veteran? Well, fuck you, pussy! GTFO! That's what made America the great nation it is!

It all comes back to corruption. This little tidbit was left out of Obama's speech:

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 10 to 7 to approve the use of military force in Syria. Senators voting ‘yes’ received, on average, 83% more money from defense contractors than Senators voting ‘no.’

I really wish American people would stop hiding from the fact that the government is completely corrupt and do something about it. The same contractors that are pushing for a US attack on Syria did the same in Iraq and Libya.

Satyr000 said:

How many dirty wars does it take though? NAM, Iraq, Libya, do we really need to add Syria to the list before people to see the truth?

You know, I don't think it'll ever make the impression. The world is too full of total dipshits for them to ever realize the truth.

We're all screwed.

Fascists on Mars said:
"weapons of mass destruction are searched for inch by inch, (often the same inch), but what is found is the NOTHING: and the NOTHING the most lethal of all the WMAs. So we are pulled into this conflict by the hair".

Video ;-)

Last week:

SEE? SEE? OBAMA IS EXACTLY LIKE BUSH! ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS START WARS HE IS A WARMONGER AND ALL POLITICIANS ARE THE SAME, ALL OF THEM ARE BOUGHT AND SOLD BY HALLIBURTON, HERE WE GO INTO ANOTHER WAR I TOLD YOU PEOPLE SO MANY TIMES AND YOU DIDN'T LISTEN, OBAMA THE WAR CRIMINAL ENJOY YOUR WAR YOU COMMIE FASCISTS RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

This week:

*crickets*

Rebel forces in Syria killed as many as 190 civilians and seized more than 200 hostages during a military offensive in August, Human Rights Watch says.

HRW says Islamist rebel groups - which include foreign fighters - are financed by individuals in Kuwait and the Gulf. It calls on the UN to impose an arms embargo on all groups credibly accused of war crimes.

Syria is currently out of our minds, ATM. I guess it's getting harder to paint the rebels off as liberators of democracy.

The Arab Spring may have started as a movement for democratic reform but I suspect in many countries it's been hijacked by militants who's only goal is to replace the current tyrant with one of their choosing.

About the only ray of sunshine I can see on the horizon is the prospect that Uncle Sam mightn't be able to afford another Middle Eastern military adventure if the current political impasse in Washington remains unresolved.