Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XenoNemisis

Doombuilder 3d mode problem

so yeah, for some reason the 3d mode is really laggy. I've heard it has something to do with how doombuilder was made, in that the only thing I could do is restart the computer. Is this still the case now? Would really like to use doombuilder again (no I can't / won't restart my computer....really long story)

I used to get this problem with DB2, too, where the longer I worked on a map, the choppier it would get, and there was nothing to do about it other than to restart my computer.

Not sure if it's been fixed in DB2, but I haven't run into this problem ever again when using GZDB. Sorry, no idea what causes it or how to fix it.

This seems to be related to how long your computer has been running without fully shutting down. I tend to hibernate my computer, which doesn't count as shutting it down, so I used to get this a lot.

Later SVN builds fixed this, I believe, but not any officially-released version.

Funny thing, too, the same issue affects the PC port of Jet Set Radio.

I had a problem with Doombuilder2 being very sluggish in preview mode 2 years ago,
when version r1429 was current. This was fixed by Boris and later by Codeimp.
See http://www.doombuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=504
The last official release of Doombuilder2 was r1553, so it would have been fixed by then.

Of course, XenoNemisis's problem could be related to this or it could be something else.
That's why I'm curious as to which editor and version he is referring to.

However, since Codeimp no longer does any work on Doombuilder2 and has unofficially
handed the reigns over to MaxED, I would suggest to start using GZDoombuilder. But, well,
it is up to XenoNemisis as to which editor he wants to use. I just want to mention that the
3D Preview Mode is far more stable now in GZDoombuilder, and with all the enhancements,
make GZDoombuilder the editor to use nowadays.

Thank you guys so much, I had Doombuilder 2 (can't believe I forgot to say that lol). But yeah, I downloaded GZDoomBuilder and it works perfectly.

I've had the same problem for over 2 years now, and I run servers so I can't shutdown or even interrupt windows. My jerkiness is so bad each step takes a second. Windows has been running for almost 7 months straight.

I'm using r1553 and the problem still persists. It is a bit random for me though. I've had two cases (out of many dozens) where I started DB2 and the 3D mode wasn't jerky at all but perfectly smooth, but right after I play-tested the map it became jerky again.

I'll try the GL mode now.

[Edit] Tried it, and the 3D mode is smooth now. I had to manually copy my old game configurations. However, the interface itself is very slow. Every time I do some action involving files (starting, choosing different game configuration, loading wad, changing resources), it freezes for a couple seconds, and at non-classic mode changes it seems to save the entire map to my temp folder (seen in the log) for no apparent reason causing severe freeze. Furthermore, some plugins, like Nodes Viewer and Visplane Explorer crash GLDB immediately. I tried disabling all plugins, but that way, whenever I load a map, it just comes up with a black area, not even a grid, and the freezing still persists.

[edit2] It seems BuilderModes is a required plugin in GZDB