Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

My chainsaw only E1M1, E1M2 and E1M3 gameplay.

You also know there is a cheat code that just gives you the chainsaw and not blue armour etc (i.e yourself used IDKFA); 'IDCHOPPERS'.

How come there's not a specialized category for chainsaw-only gameplay, e.g. "Doom Leatherface", akin to "Doom Tyson" only that the use of any weapons except the chainsaw is prohibited (exceptions maybe for E2M8 and the such)?

Maes said:

How come there's not a specialized category for chainsaw-only gameplay, e.g. "Doom Leatherface", akin to "Doom Tyson" only that the use of any weapons except the chainsaw is prohibited (exceptions maybe for E2M8 and the such)?

According to the Doom wiki, the Chainsaw is allowed in Tyson runs.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/UV_Tyson

huge chainsaw fan here. I could probably do the whole game.

Vermil said:

According to the Doom wiki, the Chainsaw is allowed in Tyson runs.

Yeah, but Chainsaw-only rules out using the punch (meaning that you lose the benefit of berserker packs, too, as well as a loss of precision damaging in certain scenarios). While some enemies would be easier to kill (zombies pinkies, imps, lost souls, PEs and even revenants and cacos), the "sucking" effect would make it harder to fight against pretty much everything else that has a nasty melee.

What about a "fist only" category? No chainsaw, no pistol. "Pure Tyson". I can imagine it is quite difficult in maps with no Berserk and hitscanners, for example.

There exist collections of demos recorded with additional restrictions (on levels where they are possible), such as not becoming invulnerable, playing with fast monsters (also called "Grandmaster" or "GM Tyson" style), using only the fist and berserk fist, or using only the chainsaw. These distinctions are not recognized by Compet-N.

Also, you have to fire the weapons in some levels to trigger gunfire lines, but I'm not sure if that breaks any rule (for those interested in a nothing-but-melee run).

@BloodyAcid: I think that gunfire-triggered actions also work with the fist, like those switches that you can shoot or "punch", is that correct?

You're right, I don't know why the hell I don't think about that stuff when I post.

So, this kind of categories may render some levels impossible, right? Like a “BFG only“ category. No BFG in the level, so you make it Pacifist, or you just can't do it. That sounds interesting.

BTW: What about Nightmare Reality?

Zed said:

Like a “BFG only“ category. No BFG in the level, so you make it Pacifist, or you just can't do it. That sounds interesting.

RL-only sounds more interesting ;-)

I'm confident that however many crazy restrictions you place for a run (e.g. RL or nothing, no healing, "stealth pacifist" etc.) you will always find someone with enough time/not enough of a life to try it -and master it!