Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Free music programs?

Howdy. As the title of the thread might suggest, I am looking for a free music making program, as I constantly hear music playing in my head and would like to have some way of turning it into actual music. I don't have a guitar or any musical instruments of any kind unfortunately so for now computer-made music will have to suffice.
So what would of those of you who are in the know about this kind of thing suggest?

baronofheck82 said:

I constantly hear music playing in my head and would like to have some way of turning it into actual music.

One of these cables would do the trick:

There's Reaper. It's technically isn't free, but it has NO restrictions on the demo. It's quite nice, and I would say it has a similar interface to Cakewalk Sonar, which is why I sometimes use it as a backup DAW.

Other than that, there's Renoise, which while also not technically free, only limits you in that you can't export to WAV. But you can get around this by simply recording it in an external program or to a separate computer. It has a tracker interface.

Both use VSTs. So go get some free ones. Short Circuit 1 is a good sampler (2 seems buggy to me), there's a free emulation of the Polivoks out there that's decent enough for use, and a bunch of other good ones. Also check out SubDuer, SQ8L (this one is excellent), and VOPM (similar in sound and nature to the Sega Genesis FM chip, and especially to a Yamaha FB-01). Bionic Delay is a good delay (effect) VST, btw, as are the free ones from MeldaProduction.

Of course, you could also install DOSBox and use FastTracker 2 :-P