Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

I just realized this crappy secret

Monster Condo MAP27 - I always played and find all secrets and there was one more and trying to get behind that box, then IDCLIP and figure out. I played again this level and wondered what the hell am I supposed to do. Then looked at Doombuilder. You might know this one, but another one I didn't know. Door Closes after 30 secs, ceiling is at height 120 above 0 in the beginning, no tag to activate opening or something. Oh yeah, I get it, you just have to run towards that box at the beginning of the level and then explore everything else. Ahhh,. a secret I would miss 99.99999% of the times because I always explore the surrounding carefully before I proceed. Maybe good for speedmappers though. But I would never never have found it.

Yeah, just rants. This just blows my mind. Oh,. and I discover 2-3 times when a teleporter block or an unreachable area is marked as a secret. Way to miss those secrets or make you wonder where the hell it is..

I've never heard of this or even noticed it in passing. Not exactly a crazy prize for such a well-hidden secret, but still, a nice find anyway.

On top of being a relatively poor secret, that sector type also has a glitch, to boot. If the resulting closing door hits the head of the player or a monster, it will bounce like an Open-Wait-Close door would, instead of waiting like Close doors do. But, of course, since it was setup to act like a close door action, its "topheight" is uninitialized junk and it will continue to rise forever.

In vanilla Doom this will eventually trigger the "crash in very tall areas" glitch when you step into the sector, as the engine attempting to render the inner edges of the 2S lines results in clipping array values that are vastly out of bounds.

Slightly off topic: I've always been wondering about these two mysterious sector types. Type 10 - Door Close Stay (after 30 sec) - and type 14 - Door Open Close (opens after 5 min). Do they actually do what their description say? Are they even used anywhere in the original Doom IWAD, and where? Or any IWAD, in a good way? Do they get any utilization in PWADs? Any notable, good one? Please if you know anything, tell me.

Type 10 was used 3 times in E1M6 IIRC. I'm confident they were used elsewhere. I think Type 14 was used only once, and I can't remember which map.

Eris Falling said:

Type 10 was used 3 times in E1M6 IIRC. I'm confident they were used elsewhere. I think Type 14 was used only once, and I can't remember which map.

But it isn't the same as the "close door for 30 seconds" linedef action! I'm talking specially about the sector types. And in E1M6 they aren't, I just checked using DB2's "Find and replace" feature.

Type 14 (5 minute door) isn't very useful, unfortunately. The door opens 5 minutes into the map, then closes again a few seconds later. Aside from, I guess, some sort of timed voodoo doll effect, there isn't much you can do with it.

Type 10 (30 second door) did get a pretty magnificent usage in one of Doom 2 The Way Id Did's development builds: http://www.twitch.tv/tarnsmandw/c/2357930

I never paid attention to where exactly was that secret on map27. So that's what that stupid arrow wants to tell us!

The type 14 sector is used in a couple of PCorf maps, map21 of twilight zone 2 and E1M9 of 2002ado. Both for secret areas. The twilight zone 2 map is pretty lulzy as that secret contains all the keys required to exit the map so you could twiddle your thumbs for 5 minutes grab the secret and exit and not bother playing the rest of the map :P

esselfortium said:

Type 14 (5 minute door) isn't very useful, unfortunately. The door opens 5 minutes into the map, then closes again a few seconds later. Aside from, I guess, some sort of timed voodoo doll effect, there isn't much you can do with it.

How about a five-minute time limit? Nearly all rooms have monster closets full of Cyberdemons, with them sitting in the 5-minute opening sectors (so they won't close back). I know it may cause the game to malfunction (due to blocked sector proximity).

eternall map05 has a 5 minute megasphere also, coopbuildlm had a five minute door in one of the early versions, and I've seen a 5 minute door in a 90's map I don't remember the name of.

I think d2reload uses these weird sectors in the gimmick levels - map32 is a secret-finding mission while one of the earlier maps gives you five minutes to set up a crushing operation which without you'd have little chance of defeating the huge demon wave that eventually teleports in to meet you. :)