Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snurrberget

First map in years

Many years ago, like in the 90's, i played with Doom Construcktion Kit (DCK) and made a map, and lost interest.
A short while back i found a link to Doombuilder2 and thought "hey, why not", and made a new map.
I also found this forum, so ill post it here, hoping for som critic remarks.
The map itself is inspired by a prison in a desert, though, except for the walls and guard towers, it doesnt seem like much of a prison, so its probably more like a well guarded outpost.
I didnt make the map primaraly to play, more to find an atmosphere of some kind.
Im not sure if i succeeded in any way, but i hope you will take the time find out.

Oh yes, before i forget..
there are 3 secrets (of which 2 actually counts as secrets) and there are at least 2 ways to cheat.
I am sure i removed the plasmagun, but there are some plasmacharges on the map, i havent removed. Sorry!

The map is at location:

http://www.snurrberget.dk/doom.wads/desert.hotel.zip

Regards, Snurrberget

I've just finished playing the level, here are my thoughts on it:

At first, I thought the map was a large jumble; no offense. I began to work through it, and I realized it was a really good effort at a Doom map, especially since you said it was your first one in a long time. I personally thought the cross towards the exit switch was a really cool touch, and it was a really good thing you dedicated that to your friend's late dad. The constant threat of Shotgunners on the outer wall of the map was a good point for tension, too.

However, I do have a bit of a qualm with that same chapel, and no, it's not about the cross, either. The Pain Elementals in there aren't too bad, it's just the massive Lost Soul pwnage-fest that just swarms you if you're unlucky.

Besides that, I thought it was a good map. You could definitely use improvement, and I hope you start making a foray into mapping again!

Thank you for you response Jimothy.
It is a very nice critic you give me.
As for the map seeming to be a jumble, it might be partly because i halfway through played with the idea of two maps in one.
The primary map, being when you stayed on "top", and a second map if the player was running on the platforms and ground.
I gave the idea up as it seemed to complicated to end both in the same exit (and there can be only one i think). The result, as you put it, seems jumbled.
As to the chapel, i must reconsider my mapmaking.
The 2 heads are there only because i found it too bare and easy with just the spiders.
I never gave it a second thought, and you havent mentioned the thing i thought would be a problem, so i conclude that when i make a map, the issues are probably where i didnt make considerations.

I am working on a new map, which hopefully will be more playable.
Ill give it a lot more attention to monsters and continuity, as long as it doesnt interfere with my quest for "atmosphere" :D

Regards, Snurrberget

The map itself was very good! If you were shooting for an atmosphere of tense action, you definitely hit the nail on the head! I'd be more than happy to play any future maps you come up with. Cheers!

I liked it a lot except for the key traps. In both cases you just jump down and tediously kill monsters that are fixed on top and can't really do much damage to you. When I was standing near the shotgunner walls, they couldn't hit me at all, I guess because they were too low. It would be a lot more interesting if some monsters appeared on the ground instead.