Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyRy13

Is Doom multiplayer still alive?

I have had a large interest in playing Doom multiplayer (Zandronum, in particular) but when I load up Zandronum Online it seems slightly dead. Yeah, there is a less-than-decent quantity of 2/28 player cooperative servers and even maybe 2 servers with actually more than 20 people (albeit those servers probably have more undesirable gamemodes, at least personally). I'm just a bit dissipointed because of all the neat gameplay videos I have seen of Zandronum (some of them were even released in 2013!). My friends are too busy playing LoL, and have never taken the time to play or appreciate Doom at all, so that definitely isn't happening. Is multiplayer for Doom dying? Or is there something I am missing, or not seeing? Or am I just unappreciative of things as they are? The latter is always possible.

Zandro has a fair bit of activity, try again later on or get on IRC and ask if anyone wants a game. You could also try idling in a server for a few minutes until someone joins.

If you are open to other ports, there is a weekly survival session on zdaemon every Thursday night, it's a good laugh.
here is the link for the last session
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/65563-zdaemon-thursday-night-survival-109-2001-wad-retrospective/
Or more generally check out the doom new section there are plenty of events for ports like odamex and zandronum posted there or even visit their specific forums.

cannonball said:

If you are open to other ports, there is a weekly survival session on zdaemon every Thursday night, it's a good laugh.
here is the link for the last session
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/65563-zdaemon-thursday-night-survival-109-2001-wad-retrospective/
Or more generally check out the doom new section there are plenty of events for ports like odamex and zandronum posted there or even visit their specific forums.

Thanks for the suggestion, never was interested in ZDaemon for its peculiar lighting and lack of features compared to Zandronum, but I have heard it has a lot of players so I'll try it out. Also, what exactly do you mean by "doom new section"? Is that on a different website or thread?

Okay, just wondering, but when the news for the zandronum saturday night survival shows up, and it says this weekend, does it mean the saturday of that day or the next saturday of the week? It is kinda confusing because I expected today to be played with Alien vendetta but then news suddenly appears that we will be playing Hellbound. Does it mean next saturday we will be playing hellbound or today we will be playing hellbound? Apologies for my ignorance.

If you're seeing a SNS server up before Saturday it's prob because event organizers tend to leave them up during the week to be replayed if anyone feels like. The thread will otherwise display what's being played on the saturday of whatever week it's posted and any current servers will be updated at the specified times in the thread.

me and my buddy used to play DM on the doom2 iwad using nilla doom in DOS, this was just a few years ago. But were in college/marines now and have been for a year, so obviously this doesn't happen anymore. map 01 and map 07 are great for DM in doom2 and e1m1 isn't bad for doom1. I'd love for people to get back into some vanilla doom deathmatch, even if its using pwads and stuff the pwads would actually make it more interesting. A man can dream i guess

Ya online doom seems to be really hurting. I think the most people iv ever seen online across all the servers is like 50. The majority of people seem to be playing that zombie horde wad and megaman dm.

Would be nice if the doom community had more people that played online.

For me I dont like the online doom ports too much because their decorate is very out of date compared to zdoom and gzdoom.

Well I've seen 49 on 1 server. :) - http://s21.postimg.org/mt21aivbb/4949.png (July 2013)
I dunno what the panic is about, I always see a lot of interesting servers, or if I don't I can ask a friend to create something (never figured out port forwarding to create my own servers) and usually it gets crowded quickly. Then again I mostly play coop\survival so don't know about competitive modes.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Ya online doom seems to be really hurting. I think the most people iv ever seen online across all the servers is like 50.

If that is the most then you're almost certainly not querying the correct master server. Right now I'm seeing 171 on zandro alone and it's not even at peak activity.

Jroc said:

If that is the most then you're almost certainly not querying the correct master server. Right now I'm seeing 171 on zandro alone and it's not even at peak activity.

May I ask how your server list is so glorious?

zdaemon has a high amount of servers, if not insane amounts of.

and usually (keeping in mind that there are time zones) there are at least 4 servers being used by actual human players most of the time.

but it is a fact that while 4 years or more ago, there where hundreds of players active... you will now find 30 to 40 or so if you are lucky to play when some time zones allow people to be active online.

and in maybe 1.5 years time the maximum activity i have ever seen on zandronum revolves around 10 players on one server for one hour...
and then at times 4 players doing a co-op...

unless something changed in the few months after i stopped checking.

FireFish said:

zdaemon has a high amount of servers, if not insane amounts of.

and usually (keeping in mind that there are time zones) there are at least 4 servers being used by actual human players most of the time.

but it is a fact that while 4 years or more ago, there where hundreds of players active... you will now find 30 to 40 or so if you are lucky to play when some time zones allow people to be active online.

and in maybe 1.5 years time the maximum activity i have ever seen on zandronum revolves around 10 players on one server for one hour...
and then at times 4 players doing a co-op...

unless something changed in the few months after i stopped checking.

Again the amount of disinformation being said on these forums is insane, just recently Zandronum had 64 people in ONE server alone: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3280&page=3

I'm sure you guys have old master server addresses that you haven't updated on your server browsers, and are simply querying cached servers.

it is not wrong information everybody here is just sharing their experiences, it is the best way to build a correct view of what is going on. if somebody only sees 1 active server for months on any port of choice, then it is probably a fact.
no mather what caused it.

well if i ever try online zandronum again and doomseeker, i will check the recomendation for the updates, and server list.

If anyone feels like playing anything oldschool on Zandronum, try joining the IRC channel #zandronum at irc.zandronum.com/6667 using your client of choice or the IRC link on THIS page and asking people there to join. If I'm on and not busy I'd be down for it.