Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

can someone please tell me how to config my Legacy port??

Guys, can someone please tell me how to config my Legacy port?? I tried to put Legacy.exe on the first column where it said "program" and a doom.wad where it said "wad" on the second one...

and when I click the launch button, it keeps saying cannot locate wad...
here is a screenshot:

sorry for the pop up ads, I don't have a paid photo sharing service provider...

many thanks!!!

keithktam said:

sorry for the pop up ads, I don't have a paid photo sharing service provider...

There are free providers that do not have ads. My personal recommendation is Imgur.

Legacy may not be able to write the config to the program files folder.

Legacy may not like such long folder paths to the Iwad or spaces in folder names.

Just a few suggestions.

DoomLegacy has not been supporting the launcher for some time now, but the old launchers and generic launchers should still work.
I cannot read the text on those small jpg, so I will have to guess.

How DoomLegacy has changed recently on where it keeps config and finds wad files.

The latest DoomLegacy wants a -game selection, otherwise it will search for default IWAD.

It still searches in the directory specified by DOOMWADDIR.
Otherwise it is relative to the current directory. That depends upon where the launcher has its working directory set.
Absolute file paths are recommended when having problems.

The latest DoomLegacy is DoomLegacy-1.44-alpha4 at http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/

The beta version at SourceForge is 1.42, which is a few hundred patches behind the alpha releases. I am trying to get 1.44 released as Beta before Dec.

The _docs directory has extensive explanations (html)for the command line switches.

Problems concerning running on windows are difficult for me to diagnose as I run Linux, and only have Win98 to test on. But others have run it on windows.

I tried put all the doom wad inside the Legacy directory, C: programe file x86/Legacy/Doom/(all the wad) and it still said unable to find the wad.... The launcher been mentioned to have problem, are there any ways to start the game without the launcher??

edit: I tried to launch the game with "open with" from the right click menu, thats the error message here:

many thanks!!

p.s those "screenshots" from my last post are actually thumbnail, please click to see actual size.

WildWeasel said:

There are free providers that do not have ads. My personal recommendation is Imgur.

thanks!! it works really well, using that now! wonder how they generate profit though :)

keithktam said:

are there any ways to start the game without the launcher?

Just make a copy of your doom.wad in the same folder as Legacy and then run Legacy.exe

Also "classic 3d shooters mega pack" looks like something you've pulled off a torrent site, so if they've not included the correct IWAD files, that might be part of the problem.

DooMAD said:

Also "classic 3d shooters mega pack" looks like something you've pulled off a torrent site

I didn't notice that. Do you think we should withhold tech support until he can produce proof of purchase? ;-)

DooMAD said:

Just make a copy of your doom.wad in the same folder as Legacy and then run Legacy.exe

Also "classic 3d shooters mega pack" looks like something you've pulled off a torrent site, so if they've not included the correct IWAD files, that might be part of the problem.

ok, i will try that. Thanks!

I do not know what the latest windows have for running older programs.
From what I remember using Win98 and XP you create a shortcut.
In the shortcut is a compatibility tab.
Set the working directory to where DoomLegacy resides because that is
where legacy.wad also should be.

The second way is to create a batch file with the command line
and just run the batch file from RUN or from a folder view.
(I don't write this often, so this is from memory)

SET DOOMWADDIR=wadsdirectory
cd legacydirectory
doomlegacy -iwad freedoom.wad -native

In my DoomLegacy directory, I keep all wads in a separate wads directory. I keep links (shortcuts) to all the game IWAD in the legacy directory.
I cd to the legacy directory before running.

doomlegacy -opengl -game doom2 -file ../wads/requiem/REQUIEM.WAD

For more see: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/docs/legacy.html

wesleyjohnson said:

I do not know what the latest windows have for running older programs.
From what I remember using Win98 and XP you create a shortcut.
In the shortcut is a compatibility tab.
Set the working directory to where DoomLegacy resides because that is
where legacy.wad also should be.

The second way is to create a batch file with the command line
and just run the batch file from RUN or from a folder view.
(I don't write this often, so this is from memory)

SET DOOMWADDIR=wadsdirectory
cd legacydirectory
doomlegacy -iwad freedoom.wad -native

In my DoomLegacy directory, I keep all wads in a separate wads directory. I keep links (shortcuts) to all the game IWAD in the legacy directory.
I cd to the legacy directory before running.

doomlegacy -opengl -game doom2 -file ../wads/requiem/REQUIEM.WAD

For more see: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/docs/legacy.html

well, I use 64bit wins7, could this be the problem??

the only way i could launch the game is to put e.g doom.wad into the same directory of Legacy, not even a separate file would work, it has to be in the exact directory and with a launcher. I tried using "open with" from the right click menu, didn't work, the same old error message; couldn't locate wad... and it has to be either original doom kind of wad, or hexen kind, and the ironic thing is that I am happy to play the original doom wad with Zandronum, the reason of switching port is that i want to use it to play a wad called Astrostein(some of the forum must find this thread familiar, yes, its me again)!! I can't believe all my attempt turned out to be nightmare...

GreyGhost said:

I'll grab my laptop (64bit Win7) tomorrow and see what I can sort out.

real appreciate that! you are great guy!! thanks!!

I do not have access to Win7 to debug these kind of things.

There have been significant changes in this area with DoomLegacy 1.44.
DoomLegacy 1.43 did have significant problems with directories in windows. Please check with version you have, and change to DoomLegacy 1.44 alpha4 as that has several hundred patches, including major bug fixes to 1.43 problems. These are the kind of problems that we have been try to fix in the alpha releases and we would like to know if it has fixed them.

This is text from legacy.html of the 1.44 alpha4 docs, which come with the DoomLegacy download.

Windows
It is important to change to the directory where doomlegacy resides. Support files, like wads, legacy.wad, autoexec.cfg, and config.cfg, need to be found by DoomLegacy and it looks in the current directory as last resort.
Put your wad files in directory "\doomwads", or "\games\doomwads", or in the current directory. DoomLegacy will use the first that exists as the doomwaddir. Set DOOMWADDIR in a batch file to specify a different wad directory.
A "legacy" directory will be created in your home directory for savegames and saved config files. Set the environment variable "HOME" in a batch file, or use the -home switch when starting DoomLegacy. Otherwise, it will check if the default home directory exists, "\legacyhome". If none are present, then it will use the current directory for home, but only if it is not root, "c:\".
Overriding by using the -home and -config switches, examples:
> doomlegacy -home c:\games\doomsave -game plutonia
> doomlegacy -home c:\games\doomsave -config c:\games\plutconfig.cfg -game plutonia

Use the verbose switch -v, and DoomLegacy will print to stderr the directory names that it used. On Win98 this becomes a file named stderr. The use of directory names with spaces may fail.
It is difficult to start a program under windows and set command line switches. Most of the settings that the launcher supported can now be set from menus and the console. However the -game, -file, and -config must be set from command line switches.
One way is to create shortcuts to doomlegacy. Specify in the shortcut the command line and change starting directory to where the doomlegacy program resides.
Example shortcut for DoomLegacy with plutonia2 wad:
Shortcut: dl_plut2
command: doomlegacy -game plutonia -file c:\games\pl2\PL2.WAD
current directory: c:\games\legacydir

Another way is to create a batch file for each combination of switches, and run the batch file to start doomlegacy. Batch file examples (where legacydir, homedir, configdir, and waddir stand for directories that you specify).

DOOM2.BAT
cd c:\legacydir\
doomlegacy -game doom2

DM8.BAT
cd c:\legacydir\
doomlegacy -iwad waddir\doom2.wad -home c:\homedir\ -config c:\homedir\config8.cfg

DM2MOD.BAT
SET HOME=c:\games\home
SET DOOMWADDIR=c:\games\wads
cd c:\games\legacydir
doomlegacy -game doom2 -file levl9.wad mod2.deh mod8.bex

Windows with launcher
The launcher is no longer actively supported, but older launchers will still work. Most of the settings that the launcher supports can now be set from the console.
The launcher has some problems with setting home and config directories. You will likely have to include
"-config mydir\config.cfg", and/or "-home homedir" in options.
Unpack the archive to a suitable program directory, like C:\legacy
Start the Launcher
Fill in required information about WAD locations and hardware options
Launch the game!

Environment variables
You can set the following environment variables to have additional control over Legacy behavior. None of them are required.
The environment variable DOOMWADDIR defines the path where the wad files are located. This way you can easily share your wad files between different programs. If it is not defined a default wad directory will be checked for existing, and then an alternate directory. If none exist, then by default, Legacy looks for wad files in the current directory.
The variable USER, containing your username, is used as the default value for your player name in multiplayer games.
Your home directory is defined by the variable HOME. In the home directory DoomLegacy will create a legacy directory to store your config and savegame files. If this variable is not defined, a default legacy home directory will be checked for existing. If none exist, then by default the current directory will be used for home.

Here's where I've got to so far - created the following directory structure on C: drive and dropped a set of IWADs in \Doom, unpacked v1.44 Alpha4 to \Legacy, unpacked Legacy v1.42 to \Launcher and dropped a selection of PWADs (including Astrostein) into \Wads.

C:\Doom
     ├─\Legacy
     │      └─\Launcher
     └─\Wads
The launcher refused to work with v1.44 Alpha4, but would work with v1.42 once I'd created a file called "doomargs.tmp" and a DOOMWADDIR environment variable to cure the "Main WAD file not found" error. The Legacy Alpha works nicely with a third-party launcher - exl's LaunchTool in my case, just a matter of shortening "doomlegacy.exe" to "legacy.exe" then going to LaunchTool's setup page to add paths for IWADs and ports. I seem to be having some trouble getting Dehacked patches to load in Win7, so it might pay to teach you the black art of importing them into wads.

GreyGhost said:

Here's where I've got to so far - created the following directory structure on C: drive and dropped a set of IWADs in \Doom, unpacked v1.44 Alpha4 to \Legacy, unpacked Legacy v1.42 to \Launcher and dropped a selection of PWADs (including Astrostein) into \Wads.

C:\Doom
     ├─\Legacy
     │      └─\Launcher
     └─\Wads
The launcher refused to work with v1.44 Alpha4, but would work with v1.42 once I'd created a file called "doomargs.tmp" and a DOOMWADDIR environment variable to cure the "Main WAD file not found" error. The Legacy Alpha works nicely with a third-party launcher - exl's LaunchTool in my case, just a matter of shortening "doomlegacy.exe" to "legacy.exe" then going to LaunchTool's setup page to add paths for IWADs and ports. I seem to be having some trouble getting Dehacked patches to load in Win7, so it might pay to teach you the black art of importing them into wads.

Thanks Man!! keep it going!! look forward for the "cure"!!

wesleyjohnson said:

I do not have access to Win7 to debug these kind of things.

There have been significant changes in this area with DoomLegacy 1.44.
DoomLegacy 1.43 did have significant problems with directories in windows. Please check with version you have, and change to DoomLegacy 1.44 alpha4 as that has several hundred patches, including major bug fixes to 1.43 problems. These are the kind of problems that we have been try to fix in the alpha releases and we would like to know if it has fixed them.

yeah, I was using v.1.42 cause I was thinking since that is in its alpha phase, so it might not be stable, so instead, i got the v.142...

and about the batch file, ok, i am a bit dumb at this, can you tell me well, first what is a batch file and how to access it so that i can set it up the way you mentioned in your post??

many thanks!!!

DoomLegacy alpha4 has far fewer bugs than 1.42 and 1.43. What it has is new solutions that we are letting users check out in all the user situations. Some of the fixes do cause new problems that we then fix.
It is very close to becoming a beta release.

1.44 has much better and up to date docs, an entire directory of html files on every aspect of installing, running, and editing.

1.42 and 1.43 are virtually identical, as 1.43 was a MACOS update.
1.42 has the same windows directory problems because it uses the old DOS directory structure assumptions.

The SVN has even more up to date code, with about 50 more patches since alpha4 was released. You have to compile it yourself though.

A batch file on windows is just a text file, with each line being a dos command. The name uses the extension .bat and the file is executable.
Create them with any text editor, copy and paste from this forum.
Copy and edit the examples shown.
You will need to understand how issuing a command with switch options, and file names works.
They have existed since DOS times and
any information you might need can be found on the internet in many places.

Under Linux we use the name doomlegacy, while under windows it is legacy.

I am interested in getting some feedback on how useful the two default directories "/doomwads" and "/games/doomwads" are, and do they solve some of the problems. As you may notice they are absolute pathnames.

I need feedback and informative bug reports on Windows launch problems as I run Linux.

wesleyjohnson said:

DoomLegacy alpha4 has far fewer bugs than 1.42 and 1.43. What it has is new solutions that we are letting users check out in all the user situations. Some of the fixes do cause new problems that we then fix.
It is very close to becoming a beta release.

1.44 has much better and up to date docs, an entire directory of html files on every aspect of installing, running, and editing.

1.42 and 1.43 are virtually identical, as 1.43 was a MACOS update.
1.42 has the same windows directory problems because it uses the old DOS directory structure assumptions.

The SVN has even more up to date code, with about 50 more patches since alpha4 was released. You have to compile it yourself though.

A batch file on windows is just a text file, with each line being a dos command. The name uses the extension .bat and the file is executable.
Create them with any text editor, copy and paste from this forum.
Copy and edit the examples shown.
You will need to understand how issuing a command with switch options, and file names works.
They have existed since DOS times and
any information you might need can be found on the internet in many places.

Under Linux we use the name doomlegacy, while under windows it is legacy.

I am interested in getting some feedback on how useful the two default directories "/doomwads" and "/games/doomwads" are, and do they solve some of the problems. As you may notice they are absolute pathnames.

I need feedback and informative bug reports on Windows launch problems as I run Linux.

thanks very much!! I will try to make it work and meanwhile try to report bugs if I can identify them...

GreyGhost, could you elaborate on "the launcher refused to work with 1.44 alpha4". We have tried to keep the command line compatible with previous versions so the older launchers should still work.
I cannot test this myself, I have to rely upon information from windows users.

The links on the DoomLegacy site lead to 3 different versions.
1.43beta seems to be Mac specific.
1.42 has a Launcher.

1.44 alpha4 has no Launcher. Dropping Launcher.exe and Launcher.cfg from 1.42 into 1.44 alpha4 does not work.
Just doubleclicking on doomlegacy.exe works, but just opens in software mode.

wesleyjohnson said:

GreyGhost, could you elaborate on "the launcher refused to work with 1.44 alpha4".

Not much more I can add, a brief glimpse of the mouse pointer's "busy" hourglass is all I get. Also tried Kappes Burr's "drop the 1.42 launcher in the 1.44 directory" trick in both Win7 and WinXP Home without success.

There are more than 3 versions on the DoomLegacy site.
There is going to be an alpha5 with more fixes, some of them to previous fixes in alpha4. That is why it is not released directly to beta. I hope that 1.44 can replace 1.42 and 1.43 before Dec..

Sounds like a silent crash. Being that DoomLegacy ignores switches it does not understand, it is likely an iwad not found. Most likely not cd to the directory before start. It would be very interesting to see stdout. I don't suppose there is any way to capture it in that usage.