Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

GTA 5 will be out tomorrow, has 98% on metacritic

Bucket said:

If you buy games at launch, you're just begging to be disappointed. I'll wait for the real, not-written-by-paid-shills reviews, thanks.

This!!

Many games get amazing scores, to only be well...dull! Also if you get the PC version, wait for that to see if its a 'reasonable' port, which is about the best you can hope for now aways, usually though its a 'crap' port and not worth the money.

Anyway, im not interested in GTA, the first was the best, second was pretty cool, but as soon as it went all 3D it lost its soul, its pretty much a different game now.

bcwood16 said:

Anyway, im not interested in GTA, the first was the best, second was pretty cool, but as soon as it went all 3D it lost its soul, its pretty much a different game now.

If it did lose it's soul, then it was to a deal with the devil where it swapped it's soul for 'actually being a fun game'. I will never understand anyone who pines for the 2D GTAs. They where shit.

Jodwin said:

inb4 HOOMANS CAN ONLY SEE 30FPS

People who say that need to be shown 35fps vs uncapped Doom.

Captain Red said:

If it did lose it's soul, then it was to a deal with the devil where it swapped it's soul for 'actually being a fun game'. I will never understand anyone who pines for the 2D GTAs. They where shit.

At the time the 2D were fun....though everybody cheated and it got dull fast. As for pinning, nope, not me, I never really liked GTA that much, but the 3D versions just looked like a totally different game. Though to be fair I have not played a GTA game for a long long time now, so maybe I'm missing out.

Captain Red said:

All is well in the universe as our opinions are once again the exact opposite. :)

For me the proper GTA series progression is : GTA 1 -> GTA 2 -> SR 3 -> SR 4

Somehow a bunch of "srs business" gangster dramas with slow and dull gameplay popped up and took over the GTA brand name.

Although for what it's worth I finally got into GTA 4, and despite its many issues as a video game, I have to admit the sheer scope of the environment, the amount of detail and effort makes it compelling as a virtual universe to explore.

I actually sort of like the lam gansgter drama to be honest, just because it's generally upset by the off the walls goofy world that the story lives in. You got people talking about serious family gang stuff in one scene with heavy emotion that you're not sure why it exists, and as soon as you start walking around the cops drive in, running over fourteen pedestrians shouting inane shit like "I gotta get back to my donuts, asshole!" while they leap from the car, shoot a guy sitting on a porch, congratulate themselves, and drive away as if nothing happened.

It's charming.

Can't say of GTAV was worth the $60 yet, but so it's a blast. Camera movement is a bit sluggish, even in the highest sensitivity, but the game runs surprisingly smoothly. Visually and aesthetically, Rockstar has managed to pull off the same technical voodoo that they did with Red Dead Redemption. I'm amazed what they've managed to squeeze out of my 'ancient' PS3.

Character switching is also very fun / impressive.

The 20 or so minutes I played of Sleeping Dogs was more entertaining than anything in GTA 4, so I'm not overly fussed about rushing out to play 5.

BloodyAcid said:

My god that poor Gamespot reviewer, getting railed for a 9/10.

She docked the game for not having a respectful representation of a LGBT person and whined that the game was too right-leaning with it's IMPOTENT RAGE TV program, despite GTA 4's heavy-handed republic parody.

Anyone who knows Carolyn Petit knows Game Spot sent in Mary Whitehouse to review a slasher flick.

She still gave it a great score, mind you.

Maybe I should get back to playing GTA VCS

Bucket said:

If you buy games at launch, you're just begging to be disappointed. I'll wait for the real, not-written-by-paid-shills reviews, thanks.

Because. of course, pedigree doesn't count for anything.

I didn't read a single review of the game. I threw down my money because of my trust in R* to produce a quality piece of software, and they have yet to let me down.

There are only a few games I am prepared to buy at launch - GTA, Gran Turismo and Saints Row are the only brands I have faith in. Most of my console collection is used.

As for that reviewer, classic case of agenda-driven idiots missing sidestepping the point.

Hater's gonna hait. Isn't the gamespot reviewer taking abuse because he/she is a TS?

scalliano said:

Because. of course, pedigree doesn't count for anything.

SimCity, Spore, Diablo, Battlefield, Sonic The Hedgehog, Worms, Final Fantasy...
Your sarcasm doesn't negate the current trend of franchises being cheapened and hollowed out for the sake of mass appeal.

geo said:

Hater's gonna hait. Isn't the gamespot reviewer taking abuse because he/she is a TS?

Probably, wouldn't surprise me, internet being what it is.

I personally don't give a shit, I just think pushing your agenda in a review of Grand Theft Auto, a series that's offensive to pretty much everyone in some way, is completely ridiculous.

I'm watching the Gamespot review and yeah it has slight slant against having not enough diversity with female characters. I'd say the narrator's reading of the script is dramatic and without the dramatic read it would be a pretty common review. Emphasis is placed on certain words with a high almost whiney voice.

Levity is always good especially in an open world game. There are no smart women in an open world game? That's just me playing devil's advocate.

Let's review the review! wooo.... Yeah I'm sure its the voice that's getting the reviewer bashed not the 9/10.

Had to be responsible and go to work today so I couldn't stay up and start the install last night or this morning, so now I'm home from work after waiting all day and still have to wait for it to install. :(

My boss brought it in today, though, and played through the first mission before they let you loose, and this game looks fucking incredible. The city is gorgeous, the small details are ridiculously intricate, and for seven year old hardware the graphical quality itself is impressive (PS3 version, at least, I hear the X360 version is having performance issues which is deliciously an ironic turn from the usual).

I think Rockstar has outdone itself once again and I seriously can't wait to start playing.

scalliano said:

My copy arrived on Saturday. 20+ hours deep already. Up all yez, it's fuckin' class :D

Amazon? I heard some people got theirs delivered early and Rockstar is pissed about them breaking the street date. Probably more to do with the actual delivery being too early than Amazon's fault though.

Yep mail can't be predicted. I know when I buy from Tiger Direct, I get my stuff next day no matter what mail options I chose.

I'm not able to play it for a long time but the question is is the gameplay in ways simplified for the worse?

geo said:

I'm watching the Gamespot review and yeah it has slight slant against having not enough diversity with female characters. I'd say the narrator's reading of the script is dramatic and without the dramatic read it would be a pretty common review. Emphasis is placed on certain words with a high almost whiney voice.

Levity is always good especially in an open world game. There are no smart women in an open world game? That's just me playing devil's advocate.

Let's review the review! wooo.... Yeah I'm sure its the voice that's getting the reviewer bashed not the 9/10.

People, please remember that, like it or not, video games are part of mainstream culture now and GTA in particular is a very high profile title. It's not 'whiny' to say there's room for improvement with it's female characters, and if there is an 'agenda' here it's to make games better for everyone and not just the same group of people who've been playing them forever.

and if there is an 'agenda' here it's to make games better for everyone and not just the same group of people who've been playing them forever.

Biggest load of bullshit video game journalists are trying to get us to swallow lately.

Most people != everyone. Trying to get every game to appease to the majority leaves the same minorities out all the time.

Remember people who liked fast SP shooters with decent level design? Oops. Now every FPS must be either about gruff military men slowly following their squadmates to the next highlighted objective, or slowly walking through an island (floating or otherwise) while NPCs bash you repeatedly in the head with their social commentary hammer. Mission accomplished, "everyone" is happy, because those two sorts of people are the only FPS player types ever.

The best game for "everyone" is Candy Crush. I don't mind the existence of Candy Crush, but I don't want every game to be Candy Crush. You could argue you're not asking for every game to be inclusive, just high profile ones. Yet this is not a zero sum game. As any particular franchise gets bigger, it can and will overshadow other games through increased marketing power and such. The net result: more homogenized games, less diversity. Arguably less depth, as something as inclusive as possible must by nature not go overboard on any end of the spectrum.

Inclusiveness is good for business, both the business of selling games and the business of talking about games (which is increasingly about random social issues rather than the games themselves). That's about it.

OH YES! It was OBVIOUSLY this insistence on having not shitty, lazy stereotypes for any character other then a white male (you know, the playable character for %99 of every game ever made) that lead to the popularity of CoD Clones. I can see that sane and reasonable connection that you've made. But let's say that the next part of this post is in response to a hypothetical knee jerk rant about god knows what:

What is being asked for is to have a little thought put into the character designs of not white males. There's this problem in modern media about this entrenched idea that the normal or default character is a white male, and anything other then that is a deviation from that norm. What's being asked for is to remove the idea of being black, Asian of female as a 'character trait' and just have full three dimensional characters who are also Female or black or Asian, and it would help a lot if they where prominent parts of the cast. If it's done by an even halfway competent writer then you won't notice (but your brain will, see almost every obsidian game).

Sure, if the authors just has a story in his or her heart that is specifically related to white men and issues specifically unique to a white man then obviously make the story you want to tell man, but if it could be about anyone, why not an Asian lady or something? Seriously, just pick something at random! Go hog wild!

It's a problem because rockstar has been better then most about this (though you haven't been able to play as a lady since the first game) but it sounds like they may be slipping into some of there lazier habits.

Ironically, the same thing that is leading to homogenized brown FPSs is the same thing giving us a white sausage fest.

GTA 2 was the best. It had immediate cause and effect and it took no time to create incredible results. Cars were unrealistically fast, guns were everywhere, police were ruthless, gangs were huge and violent, missions had huge rewards, the volume of horrible disasters you could create single-handedly were both hilarious and accessible immediately at the start of the game.

The 2D is difficult to adjust to for most people, but I think it allowed for the player to have better control over the environment and what was happening on the screen. It's very easy with the narrow scope of a 90 degree third person viewpoint to wonder where the fuck these cops came from, who is shooting me, and where are any cars to steal.

As soon as it was decided that GTA was for role-playing I hated it.

Captain Red said:

OH YES! It was OBVIOUSLY this insistence on having not shitty, lazy stereotypes for any character other then a white male (you know, the playable character for %99 of every game ever made) that lead to the popularity of CoD Clones. I can see that sane and reasonable connection that you've made. But let's say that the next part of this post is in response to a hypothetical knee jerk rant about god knows what:

What is being asked for is to have a little thought put into the character designs of not white males. There's this problem in modern media about this entrenched idea that the normal or default character is a white male, and anything other then that is a deviation from that norm. What's being asked for is to remove the idea of being black, Asian of female as a 'character trait' and just have full three dimensional characters who are also Female or black or Asian, and it would help a lot if they where prominent parts of the cast. If it's done by an even halfway competent writer then you won't notice (but your brain will, see almost every obsidian game).

Sure, if the authors just has a story in his or her heart that is specifically related to white men and issues specifically unique to a white man then obviously make the story you want to tell man, but if it could be about anyone, why not an Asian lady or something? Seriously, just pick something at random! Go hog wild!

It's a problem because rockstar has been better then most about this (though you haven't been able to play as a lady since the first game) but it sounds like they may be slipping into some of there lazier habits.

Ironically, the same thing that is leading to homogenized brown FPSs is the same thing giving us a white sausage fest.

Huh?

In GTA:SA you were black :-\

Waiting for the PC version for this :-)

Jodwin said:

Also, SR4.

Saints Row 4 is just an alien reskin of Saints Row 3 with a 4 hour campaign. It may as well be £5 DLC, as it was originally planned to be.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the PC port of GTA5. I don't want to buy a console just for one game.

Going by the first 25 seconds of this video, and pretty much the title of all of this guy's other videos, I can tell pretty quickly that desires of the fanbase that Rockstar created for themselves is nowhere near my general interests, and that this game is obviously not for me. (videos such as "ZOMBIES!" "working at a job!" "drug use, strippers and swearing!" and "apartment customization!")