Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

GTA 5 will be out tomorrow, has 98% on metacritic

There's health regen? Doesn't seem like a bad idea. One thing I hate in the GTA games is when you die from being hit by a car because you forgot you were in a gunfight 3 in-game days ago after driving your car around in the meantime. At least in SA there are fast food places every few blocks where you can pay to get health back, and they sell armor at the Ammunations.

Danarchy said:

Also, tertiary side note: I came to the conclusion that despite being a more over-the-top over-sexualized hyper-violent clone of the GTA series, Saints Row 3 alone has more well-written female characters than the entirety of the GTA series. It even lets you play as a woman if you want.

Hispanic Female Boss is one of the best lead characters in any videogame ever. Just a shame her voice isn't available in IV ...

schwerpunk said:

Well, it's definitely the same engine, but as much as I'm jaded toward modern, 'realistic' grapics, even I think that GTA V is a beautiful looking game. Maybe not as aesthetically rich as Read Dead Redemption, but still very detail-oriented and fantastically lit.

Re gameplay: I think if you're a fan of these types of games, and you get a chance to sit down on your own and just witness the vast sandbox that's spread out before you, it's hard not to get a little open-world chub going on.

Yea, I really do like open world style games, so I'm definitely at least going to give it a good once over. But what I'm really dreaming for is Fallout 4.

I just bought collectors edition I got for ps3. Got superlucky on that because the original reserver didn't show to retrieve it so I was next in line to get it. My local games stop only got 6 of those editions and all were sold out long before the actual launch. Gotta start playing on weekend on avoid certain sites for spoilers.

You know, I take back what I said earlier, its actually pretty fun.

A lot of my friends that are more about Death and Black metal hate the soundtrack. But I really like west coast punk, yet I think the east coast hardcore was better in IV. I love Sheer Terror.

So is this game worth the hype?

Im guessing not as usually games that have a massive hype rise unrealistic expectations.

That aside, what it is out of say 1 to 10 (ten being best game in a long time)

The PC elitist in me is fuming with rage. This game should be enjoyed at a constant 60 FPS, 1080p resolution and at least 2k textures.

DooM_RO said:

The PC elitist in me is fuming with rage. This game should be enjoyed at a constant 60 FPS, 1080p resolution and at least 2k textures.

And no regen health, at least disable-able. :P

Avoozl said:

And no regen health, at least disable-able. :P

I really don't care about the health system in GTA games. As long as it provides a fair challenge and doesn't get in the way of the fun, I'm completely fine with regenerating health.

DooM_RO said:

PC elitist...constant 60 FPS

I hear your 60hz monitor and raise you my 120. ;)

Yeah, I have no desire to play shitty console releases. :P

Jodwin said:

I hear your 60hz monitor and raise you my 120. ;)

Yeah, I have no desire to play shitty console releases. :P

Well, the conditions in my country are not as good as in the US so I am saving money to buy a new GPU to replace my 6970 and an Oculus Rift when it comes out. 120 Hz gaming may be awesome but it's not justifiable in my country.

My bet is that Rockstar already have the PC version in the works but are delaying the announcement for as long as possible so that people will buy it twice. Believe it or not, this is actually happening.

Finally, code found in the PS3 release indicates that the PC version will be DX11, be 64bit (very important for modding) and have 2k textures.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33127/gta-v-pc-talk-continues-would-feature-dx11-2k-textures-and-more/index.html

Of course, this could just be related to the new consoles.

DooM_RO said:

I really don't care about the health system in GTA games. As long as it provides a fair challenge and doesn't get in the way of the fun, I'm completely fine with regenerating health.

It swaps two gameplay mechanics for one, less in my eyes and ruins the survival aspect, the game basically plays for you in that regard.

Avoozl said:

It swaps two gameplay mechanics for one, less in my eyes and ruins the survival aspect, the game basically plays for you in that regard.

Look, if we're talking about Doom, the yes, I agree. But GTA is about non-stop mayhem. I think regenerating help actually helps the game.

Anyway, I am trying to avoid spoilers so can someone tell me if the game lives up to all the hype?

I've found GTA5 to be more difficult than previous incarnations despite the "half-regen." NPCs are much more accurate this time around and I've been one-shot many times trying to nab a car for a getaway (I think they actually go for headshots this time around). I don't think it really adds or removes any difficulty at all since it still takes a bit for it to work and half-health may as well be nothing much of the time anyway.

DooM_RO said:

Anyway, I am trying to avoid spoilers so can someone tell me if the game lives up to all the hype?

YES.

Best GTA game so far imo, and probably the hardest, too. I picked a fight with some random rednecks and got one-hit by a surprise knife attack.

Cops are also relentless. It's worth boosting your lung capacity, just so you can take a ramp into the water and lose them by swimming deep (chopper searchlights can't see you if you go deep enough).

I'm constantly peeling back new layers of fun. Most of which aren't even related to any missions.

DooM_RO said:

This makes me even more jealous. If people on an old school forum say it's good, it's damn good.

This is true, normally I am not bothered at all about GTA games, but this one is sparking my interest.

I wont pay full price for it though...not even half price because I dont for games any more, sooner or later they are dead cheap on steam during some sale...or just because.

At the moment waiting for BioShock Infinity to pop down by half price, its also have very good reviews, though trailers have not gripped me yet. I still have BioShock 2 to play some time, but the 'Play as a weak ass stupid big daddy' keeps putting me off.

Anyway, I shall await for a steam sale :)

PS....it is on steam right....should have actually checked that before making my grand plan!

bcwood16 said:

At the moment waiting for BioShock Infinity to pop down by half price

Amazon had a bundle of all three Bioshock games for $20 last week. :D

Jodwin said:

Amazon had a bundle of all three Bioshock games for $20 last week. :D

Oh pants! Missed that :( Well actually as I already have Bioshock 1 and 2, im only paying for Infinite, so not as good value....still.....that was a cool offer.

Anyway.....soz off topic.

Please continue......

DooM_RO said:

Yuppers. Rockstar got all their 'srs story for grown ups' out of their system with Read Dead Redemption (which is actually a really good game) and pretty much took a 'Ballard of Gay Tony' approach to GTA V and applied it to a massive map.

They even made one of the characters and asshole redneck psychopath for peoples who basically want to 9/11 it up in the sandbox. I personally prefer Saints Row IV, but that's just because I'm that kind of guy, but I'm getting more then my monies worth out of GTA V.

Hmm, well I've played neither of those games so I don't know what to say. I do know that GTA 5 has a lot of controversial stuff in it but how do they pull it off? Does it feel forced? I don't mind violence and titties at all but when games put them just for the sake of seeming more mature, it really pisses me off.

DooM_RO said:

Hmm, well I've played neither of those games so I don't know what to say. I do know that GTA 5 has a lot of controversial stuff in it but how do they pull it off? Does it feel forced? I don't mind violence and titties at all but when games put them just for the sake of seeming more mature, it really pisses me off.

Tbh, I'm pretty squeamish about that stuff, and at first I rolled my eyes at it, but after playing for a while it just seems like part of the world. It's classic R* ribalrdry.

Minor spoiler: I did have to skip 'the' torture scene. That was fucking brutal.

DooM_RO said:

So it's basically the South Park of gaming.

That's pretty apt I guess, although if you already know GTA, it's basically the GTA of gaming. :P

I landed a helicopter on a moving train. I think it's safe to say I've got my money's worth now.

LANEGRACABRA said:Too bad the cops in this game are after you immediately if you even fart wrong. [/B]

But you can still barrel through traffic at 100mph, blowing red lights and smashing into cars, right? Yeah.

If the AI were smart enough, I'd definitely like to see a GTA game with an Extreme difficulty where you have to follow all traffic laws. No "star ratings" either - you don't know what kind of shit you're in until you look in the rearview mirror.