Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGamingJunkie

Plants vs Demons

Basically, it replaces Doom weapons with plants from Plants vs Zombies. I may expand it to include items and other things but here's a gameplay video of the weapons in action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGX8V-_SHvg

Plant descriptions:

Bonk Choy: Attacks with a barrage of punches, replaces fist.
Spike Rock: Rapidly shoots spikes upwards to stab enemies. Replaces chainsaw.
Pea Shooter: Fires standard peas. Replaces pistol.
Kernel Pult: Fires corn kernels, has a 25% chance of firing butter instead, which does more damage and temporarily stuns most enemies (Lost Souls are killed instantly from the butter dousing its flame). Replaces shotgun.
Melon Pult: Fires melons that cause splash damage, replaces Super Shotgun.
Gatlin' Pea: Rapidly fires 4 peas at once. Replaces chaingun.
Cob Cannon: Fires explosive corn cobs. Replaces rocket launcher.
Fume Shroom: Fires fumes that travel a moderate limited distance and go through enemies. Replaces Plasma Rifle.
Doom Shroom: Causes a large radius explosion that does a ton of damage, replaces the BFG 9000.
Chomper: One bite kills most enemies, takes a long time to recharge. Replaces the berserk pack.

http://www.mediafire.com/?09g2y8d6ars9lx9

Since it uses 3D models, an OpenGL source port is necessary to enjoy the mod. I recommend GZDoom, of course.

While I like the idea, the sounds of the plants are just holy-crap levels of garish and...annoying. I'd imagine that a few people would get irritated by the sounds.

Besides that, I think this is a really neat concept and that you should keep working on it! If you want any testers, I'd certainly be glad to check it out and give you more detailed input!

I assume you're referring to the Pea Shooter and Gatlin' Pea sounds? Aside from the Fume Shroom, all the rest either use stock Doom sounds or no sound at all.

That last mushroom is pretty neat. I like the expression on its face. Pretty badass and insouciant. They all look really quirky. That corn-on-the-cob looks faintly disturbing.

Interesting idea.

I took Jimothy's criticism into account and now use purely sounds ripped straight from Plants vs Zombies. I also replaced the berserk pack with the chomper, it kills most enemies with one bite but depletes all its ammo and takes a long time to recharge.

KINDA EDIT: Oh yeah, it's a lot better now. I hope you release it soon! I really wouldn't mind playing with it.

I added particles for the nonexplosive projectiles and replaced the weapon icons with seed packets. I think I can consider the mod 'complete'.

No, no 4shared please, it forces people to sign up just to download. Use filedropper or mediafire or filesmelt or something free-without-account, please.

Cacatou said:

Any plans to change monsters to zombies?

Call it paranoia but I wanted to minimize the changes so that Popcap doesn't possibly get upset which is why it's only done to weapons.

I downloaded and the plants look pretty good, I'm impressed by them. But let me express a few complaints to the mod as a whole:

1. It's apparently "non-widescreen unfriendly". I view every of the weapons that far on the left, that half of it is off the screen.
2. A worse problem, the weapons all seem quite unbalanced for a proper and fun play. It takes too long to finish a single zombieman with your basic weapon. The difference between the power of SG and SSG replacements are way too steep, although they use the same ammo type. And for PG/BFG it's the same.

Aiming for fun should be the goal number one for every weapon replacement mod, in my opinion. To get people into this, I would recommend you to increase the power of basic weapons. So they won't become useless when stronger weapons are encountered, and player is motivated to use and have fun with all the weapons, because all would have their own best usage, and be interesting. You know, don't focus just on the looks and work on balance too. Just my opinion.

You have a point, I was focusing more on keeping their damage factors the same as in the PvZ game, neglecting to realize that this throws them off balance. To address this, I've intensified the damages of the pea, kernel, butter, and fume bubble and the change has been applied to the uploaded file. I'm not sure how I would solve the non-widescreen issue without just shoving each weapon into the center of the screen, though.