Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Get color remapping numbers from a recolored sprite

I want to use recolored cacodemons from Peter Perv's Private Place but that wad doesn't include the corpse sprite. (TOD doesn't like how they block the view so he replaced them with some generic gibs) So I need to make one myself and this poses a problem because I don't know which colors should be changed and how. I asked TOD in a PM and seems like he doesn't know for sure either. What would you recommend? Maybe it is possible to somehow compare the original sprites with recolored sprites and restore the color remap numbers?

Just PM'ed you before seeing this. I'm not sure it's possible to figure out the exact numbers, unless you go through each pixel one by one and compare the original to the recoloured. It's probably easier to do some trial and error by choosing different pinks to replace the reds and using whatever one you think looks best. Maybe start with using 28-45 to replace the reds.

Funny, I was just playing coopbuildlm in ZDaemon and noticed that the cacodemons there are extremely similar to yours. Is that where you got the idea from? :)
When I opened it in XWE I couldn't find these sprites, however. Apparently Toke used some dehacked bit called TRANSLATION. How does it work exactly? Where is the information about the colors?
Also, 28-45 looks close enough to me, I think I'll be using it for now. Thanks!

Yeah, I liked how coopbuild's cacos looked like raspberries instead of tomatoes. :)

Not sure how the dehacked thing works with changing colours. The pppp ones also use dehacked to make them always full-bright, so they don't turn brown in lower brightness.

You could use an external application like Paint.NET and use the "Color-Match" plug-in to palette it. It might not turn out exactly the same though, but it's an option.

Memfis said:

Apparently Toke used some dehacked bit called TRANSLATION.

Those make the sprite use the preset player translations, green range to gray, brown, or red.

You just need 1 recolored caco corpse sprite? If you give me a normal-colored caco and a recolored caco (just 1 frame of each color, jpg or bmp both same frame, same size), I can loop through each pixel and find what each converted to, then generate a corpse sprite using a similar conversion maybe.