Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkreaver

[Boom] Triggering a secret without stepping on it?

Mapping in boom format.

Is there a way the player can trigger a secret without actually stepping on a secret sector? I tried scrolling a voodoo doll over a secret sector, but it wouldnt trigger it.

I was thinking of making you achieve a secret by shooting a hidden switch.

Maybe like this, kinda gross but works. Have a secret sector around the place from where the player shoots the switch that the player can't activate because it is 1 unit lower than the surrounding floor and consists of parts that aren't wide enough for the player to fit in. When the player shoots the switch, it raises the secret sector by 1 unit and then the player triggers it almost immediately. I think since you're using Boom, you can hide the presence of that secret sector by using transfer heights but I've never worked with them so I'm not sure.

Hey thanks, will have a look soon =)

edit: also, I was thinking about maybe its possible to change the sector effect somehow? I have never fiddled with those actions, so I dont know.

Yeah, that would be easier and less hacky actually. :) In generalized linedefs there is a "change" option for that. And even without them you have "floor raise... changes texture", which also copies the effect I believe.