Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkySplatter

Death and dead sprite angles.

I've got alot of dying and dead body sprites and i'd like to use most of them i can, each dead body sprite has an angle, all together it is 4 angles 0°, 270°, 180° and 90° same with the death animations it has 4 sides it can be viewed from sadly i only know how to put in a no rotation death and body sequence and i'm looking for abit of help on how i can accomplish these view angles, there doesn't happen to be any example wads or somthing i can use?

This might be possible with the correct sprite-naming conventions. I'm not sure if Doom forces only one rotation for the death animation, but I think it would be possible.

Link: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_sprite_graphics

It says there that each sprite must have 1, 8, or 16 rotations, so I'm not sure if having just the four would work. You can try it, but if it doesn't work, all you would have to do is double the sprites you have and name them to fill in the missing angles. It would appear a little lop-sided though.

Rayzik said:

EDIT: Also SLADE3 is fucked up, it decided that gray-scale is the only color palette allowed for some reason.

This is typically what happens if you haven't set your base resource wad (DOOM2.WAD or whatever).

The following slightly wonky diagram might help a bit. Each number is 45° from its neighbors (or would be with a different screen font) and indicates the direction the sprite's facing, with number 1 facing the player.

4   │   6
     \  │  /
      \ │ /
       \│/
 3 ─────┼──── 7
       /│\
      / │ \
     /  │  \
    2   │   8
The sprites look good and what you have at the moment cover angles 1 (NNJA*1 - front), 5 (NNJA*5 - back) and 7/3 (NNJA*7*3 - sides). Ideally you'll need two more sets to cover the in-between angles at 2/8 and 4/6.

Try this - it's a variation on Rayzik's ninja wad, with a different sprite numbering scheme (which requires fewer sprites) and in colour.

Rayzik said:

EDIT: Also SLADE3 is fucked up, it decided that gray-scale is the only color palette allowed for some reason.

How SLADE chooses a palette to display a paletted picture:

1. Is the global palette selector on the toolbar set to a specific palette? Yes --> Use it.
  2. If the palette selector is set on "Existing/Global", is there a PLAYPAL in the current archive? Yes --> Use it.
  3. If no PLAYPAL, is there anything recognized as a palette at all? Yes --> Use it.
  4. If there is no palette at all, is there a base resource archive set, and does it contain a PLAYPAL? Yes --> Use it.