Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

20 years of doom project idea

Hi,

I have an idea for a map that we could make for the 20th anniversary of Doom's release. Let's make a map that the beginning looks like 1994 maps or the originals, and for each switch/key usage area afterwards the mapping evolves into the next year. I.E. the first few rooms would look 1994-ish, good 1994-ish though. Then say there's a switch that opens a locked door, the next area should have the mapping skill of 1995, and then after a few rooms, there is a blue door, after the blue door, stuff should have the detail level of '96 and so on. Until we get to later areas where zdoom functions and all the bells and whistles we know in maps today are all in. The final area will be the most detailed representing 2013.

What do you guys think?

A project with slightly similar idea has been there on the ZDoom forums for years. This one. It seems abandoned, unless there's another thread I missed.

Your idea is good. Only one map in total though? Anyway if there was a division of labour, I'd take 1997. It's the mapping level on which my mapping skills are, anyways (in regards to visuals/composition of most of my maps).

Would you take 1994 or 95? :)

Hurr durr, 80 days remaining!

Seriously, are you (GRB) going to organize this?

EDIT: (^ Phobus - I think he meant 20 maps in total)

Make a room with 20 teleporters each leading to benchmark thingie from a certain year that's easy to recognize (96 gets some HR portion, 97 gets some eternal portion, etc).

Also that room should contain the exit available from the start. You can visit only the years you're interested in and when you get bored you can exit immediately. So it will be like a Doom mapping museum. :) With photos of famous mappers, etc lol.

I personally am for Boom compatibility at maximum (reason = demos), and to have one separated level for every year from 1994 to 2013, where every level is made by a different mapper.

Perhaps the levels should be made just normally, and after all will be finished, some BTSX-style hub parts would be added at the beginning of each level? Each of those hubs may contain an entrance to the actual level, a premature exit for those who want to skip, and something like a said Doom year's museum like Memfis suggested. Just an idea.

I just wish I was the sort of person who could just randomly whip up something for this. It's a really cool concept.

interesting idea, I feel like the level of distinction between nearby years could be an issue though. For example I have no idea how I'd differentiate a '98 map from a '99, and so forth.

Phobus said:

400 maps in three months? With some trying to embody the 2004-2013 overdetailing trends? Ha...

You could take over detailing to an all new level if you can apply George "King ReOL" Fiffy's xTreme detailing method to maps :D (1 sector height arch ways to create a slope)

Gonna put my +1 behind Memfis' idea. I love sandbox-y hub maps.

P.S. it might also be fun to select an OBLIGE map for one of the levels, as an homage to automated map making. Very carefully selected for quality control, of course. Maybe even generated then edited a bit for playability.

scifista42 said:

A project with slightly similar idea has been there on the ZDoom forums for years. This one. It seems abandoned, unless there's another thread I missed.

Yeah, almost 0% chance of that being done in time for December, heh. And we didn't have enough mappers anyway. Basically the same concept though.