Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

If Doomworld was Hollywood, who would be who?

While I can't name names (mostly because I don't know who to call what), here's a few Hollywood folk that could easily have an interesting translation to the Doomworld universe:

• Nicholas Cage -- An extremely talented mapper who occasionally puts out masterpieces, but then suddenly dumps five to ten crapmaps that leave people's heads scratching. Bonus points for also being insane.
  • Leonardo DiCaprio -- A mapper who routinely puts out good stuff, but has sadly has yet to win a Cacoward despite all expectations.
  • Robert Pattinson -- Infamous for creating a certain piece of garbage, but who vehemently regrets ever making it and is genuinely capable of actually doing good stuff. Assuming anyone takes him seriously.
  • Harrison Ford -- The inverse of the above, his most well-known and highly-rated wad is least favorite creation to date. Despite having other notable efforts, that one wad is the one that everyone remembers first. Audible sigh.
  • M. Night Shyamalan -- First arrives onto the Doom scene with a stunning debut of mapping prowess, then steadily gets worse and worse. Name is now a laughingstock among the community.
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger -- Not actually a good mapper, but everybody thinks he is because he's contributed to several well-known community projects.
  • George Lucas -- Creates an awesome, classic masterpiece that everyone loves. Comes back years later and creates a shitty sequel that everyone plays. Folks still defend the sequel's merits even to this day.
...I can see this thread becoming a bit on the cruel side rather soon should these labels actually be applied, though, so be wary, folks. Note that I did not have anyone in particular in mind when writing these, though I'll probably proceed to spend the next few minutes noodling them before intentionally not posting my results because I'm a scaredy cat D:

Otherwise, deliberate and enjoy. And swap "mapper" for "modder" where necessary. :P

Avoozl said:

I was going to suggest Sergeant_Mark_IV as Arnold Schwarzenegger. :P

You meant Mel Gibson.

e: Ralphis is Dwayne Johnson. Comedic talent, a lot of bragging and showmanship. Similar hairline.

Planky said:

Planky = Nicolas Cage*

*As a piece of wood has just as much acting ability

I lol'd

I'd be that outsider that stops in every once in a while to make useless posts or to showcase pictures of a map that will probably never be released, while occasionally releasing short, single map projects.

I'd be the guy who has a great idea for an arthouse script, and somehow amasses a talented cast to star in it, only then I'd disappear because I suck at directing.

Planky said:

Planky = Nicolas Cage*

*As a piece of wood has just as much acting ability

Are you sure you're not actually Keanu Reeves?

Going by Xaser's definitions:

Nicholas Cage: Hard to say - I'm not sure we have a mapper who is quite that inconsistent
Leonardo DiCaprio: I'm sure we're all this in our own heads (unless you do actually have a Cacoward to your name), but I can't actually think of any mapper who is enough of a presence to merit the comparison and that hasn't been awarded for something.
Robert Pattinson: Cyb, for Doom Jr. perhaps? I mean, his Zort maps are usually pretty good and he did a great job of Void, but I still see that joked about to this day.
Harrison Ford: BPRD, due to NUTS being infamous... Although I couldn't say whether he actually dislikes the .WAD - I just think that being his most well-known work does a disservice to the author of Grove and Equinox.
M. Night Shamyalan: Tormentor667, for me. He started great with the TNTs, but with stuff like KDiZD being largely hung on him, Sapphirre and Austerity being not-particularly-good and Stronghold really coming short of my expectations, that's what he has become for me.
Arnold Schwazenegger: Agent Spork, IMO, although more because his style has made so many (poor) imitators than because of what he's personally put in community projects.
George Lucas: I suppose some people are looking at Erik Alm like this - either for Scythe 2 turning very slaughter-y compared to the original, or for Scythe X when compared to the two earlier .WADs. Personally, I'm pretty happy with all of his stuff, but there you go.

And now for some of my own:

Michael Bay: Explosions! Noise! Style! Pretty much sums up my opinion of most gameplay modifications, although special mention goes to the authors of Russian Overkill, Brutal Doom and Aeons of Death for really going for spectacle and quantity of explosion. Naturally I view this a a mixed thing, as done well it can be Bad Boys II, done badly it can be Transformers 2.
Kevin Bacon: For sheer ubiquity over the years, you can't go much further than this man. I'd say we have a couple of those and esselfortium springs to mind as somebody who is involved in a lot of the big projects in some way. Mechadon and Dutch Devil/Doomer too, if we're sticking to more modern Doomers.
Hugh Jackman: He's in a lot of films these days and there's quite a range of genres, quality and styles, from what I've seen. Maybe Eternal? Although he's probably more consistent and has produced more in the time.

This is pretty fun! I might try and think of some more...

EDIT: I'd like to think of myself as the Pierce Brosnan of Doom, because I've got apperances in big projects like Community Chest and DTWiD, but am usually off in the background working on little projects that nobody cares about because I like what I do. That and my damnable suaveness.

I wondered who I'd be. Can't really think of anyone.

The best I got is a description that's something like "was around the scene for a bit, did some stuff that wasn't super well-known, but liked by some. Disappeared for a decade due to drugs and alcohol and other life issues, and is now back in the scene and somehow higher-profile".

That sounds like Robert Downey Jr. Can I please be Robert Downey Jr.? :P

Jayextee said:

I wondered who I'd be. Can't really think of anyone.

The best I got is a description that's something like "was around the scene for a bit, did some stuff that wasn't super well-known, but liked by some. Disappeared for a decade due to drugs and alcohol and other life issues, and is now back in the scene and somehow higher-profile".

That sounds like Robert Downey Jr. Can I please be Robert Downey Jr.? :P

If you can do what he did in Tropic Thunder, go ahead. :P Now that I think of it, you know who could fit the Nicholas Cage one?

Ruba.

Heh.

walter confalonieri could be Samuel L Jackson as there was a point when he was in practically every community project :-)

I think this 'terry' character would be more like Adam Sandler. You know, in terms of being terribly unfunny but so self-assured of the opposite.

I'd be that one C-List actor who did one thing a long time ago that no one remembers and as such hasn't done anything since minus one failed 'film project' with a B cast.

I'd say I'm Adam Sandler but I've only put out one complete map. I need to actually make roughly 5,000,000,000 separate (terrible) maps in different WADs to become Adam Sandler.

Jayextee said:

I think this 'terry' character would be more like Adam Sandler. You know, in terms of being terribly unfunny but so self-assured of the opposite.

That sounds more like Doomguy 2000

If we were including the music industry with this list of celebs, I'd have equivocated Doom Marine to Kanye West ages ago. But if we're sticking with Hollywood types I could see him fitting as Tommy Wiseau.

I would almost bestow that honor to essel, but essel makes good stuff without tearing me (or my system) apart. DV I & DV II tear my system to shreds. So Doom Marine for Tommy Wiseau!

[/speaking out of my ass]

SavageCorona said:

I'd say I'm Adam Sandler but I've only put out one complete map. I need to actually make roughly 5,000,000,000 separate (terrible) maps in different WADs to become Adam Sandler.

Be quiet, Shia LaBeouf.

I think SGTmarkIV will be Justin Bieber with all that "awesome-looking-bad-gameplay" mods that young people gets to like.

purist said:

walter confalonieri could be Samuel L Jackson as there was a point when he was in practically every community project :-)

SAY THAT AGAIN! I DARE YOU, I DOUBLE DARE YOU, M***ERF**KER!

also, lulz