Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

50 years of mass shootings

http://www.upworthy.com/rachel-maddow-takes-us-through-50-years-of-mass-shootings-the-trend-she-uncovers-is-devastating-am3-1b?c=ufb1

*edit* ah I see what the catch is, she's only doing the worst in the past 50 years.

I think she forgot about the Amish school shootings and the guy that shot the senator, but for a 'mass shooting' you need a score of 12 kills or better. Injuries don't count. 5 kills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting

What about when Columbian gang wars in Miami would shoot up restaurants to get 1 guy and a dozen were shot. But again only a dozen kills count.

Or what about 2 bank robber in Cali that shot his way out of the bank and walked just shooting people? Or does that count as a bank robbery or since it was 2 it doesn't count?

http://www.cnn.com/US/9702/28/shootout.update/

Here's a definition of what a mass shooting is >>

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/what-is-a-mass-shooting

Practically, any shooting not done as part of legitimate (?) military or police action or "at least" as part of no-bullshit criminal activity or revolutionary/paramilitary action backed by any ideology, seems to qualify as a "mass shooting", while all other cases I mentioned have more specific names.

More in general, I think it's the apparent randomness/ourburst/lack of obvious military/political/economic/ideological motivations that classify a shooting as a "mass shooting", and the shooters themselves are usually treated as mentally infirm or dysfunctional/unstable, assuming they don't commit suicide.

I think it's a matter of recognition/warrior's honour: e.g. Anders Breivik probably sees his actions as a regular military operation versus legitimate targets, drawing his "legitimacy" from his Super Aryan Templar beliefs or whatever, while even the rest of the world seems to half-justify this belief, as they choose to interpret it as the act of a "militant racist". Notice that he DIDN'T want his actions to be interpreted as the "result of mental insanity", showing how important recognition and "warrior respect" is, even in such cases.

Criminals and military/police/revolutionaries etc. are NOT considered mass shooters, because they have motivations and -supposedly- conduct rules (even if as thinly spread as "warrior's honour" and "gangster respect").

TL; DR: People without the aforementioned "redeeming" properties causing equal amounts of damage and casualties are called mass shooters, and are much more reviled and feared by society because they are uncontrollable, unpredictable and random, their actions have no "justifying" ideology or purpose behind them, and as such, anyone, anywhere could become their victim, while e.g. if you are not involved in gang violence or at least if you don't "diss" them, you could reasonably expect to be left alone/not to become a gang violence victim. With a random school shooter or disgruntled employee gone postal, you have no such "guarantee", however weak.

In any case, I see this going the way of countless other GunControlWorld threads :-p

Chicago had a mass shooting last night at a basketball street court. 2 suspects but neither is believed to be the shooter. Probably gang related. South side is getting worse.

Let's see if ya'all hear about it outside of Chicago.

geo said:

Probably gang related.

Then it was not a "mass shotting", carajo. It was just two hijos de puta settling their turf disputes according to the honor rules of La Mara Salvatrucha, comprendes, esse?

So you're saying gangs speak Spanish?

geo said:

So you're saying gangs speak Spanish?

Some of dem do, cholo. Athas speak nigga, madderfacker.

Edit: but since dey are muertos, dey don't speak no more, eh homes?