Windows 8.1 desktop. win or fail?

Windows 8.1.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Windows 8.1.

• Win
    • Fail

sgt dopey said:

Well its an improvement over the current windows 8

Per Dopey. Windows 8 didn't really look great, so 8.1 definitely looks much better, now that it has an actual start menu.

So, I'll say win.

What, the only significant visual change is that there's now a white start screen icon where, previously, there was absolutely nothing. Although the icon itself is ugly as-is, there really isn't anything else to talk about than the bland choice of a desktop background in that screenshot.

Jimothy said:

8.1 definitely looks much better, now that it has an actual start menu.

Does it? I was under the impression that the Start Button just took you back to the Start Screen. That actually improves nothing.

Just looks as bad as Windows 8. I don't get it what's so great about flat borders and white everywhere. I completely miss the contrast of the windows borders like in Win 7. And the worst thing is, there's far less customization options than in older Windows.

The start menu thing is a non-issue. There's enough start menu replacements out there that just do the job. No need to get worked up over it

A properly set up Windows 8 doesn't feel too different from Windows 7, except for the cheap shitty visual style.

I think windows has been sucking since Vista, though 7 was an improvement. 7 is the current version I'm using, and I refuse to shell out more money for 8. I think there are a lot of questionable design flaws with 7, for example, they way they try to hide important options, and limit usability to have a cleaner look. Like having to press, ALT just to see the file, edit, etc. panel in a window; a lot of people would have absolutely no idea how to find it without the help of you tube, or trouble shooting. Or, the fact that they hide certain files from users, therefore, you're forced to configure your settings to see information that should readily be available. Windows 7 is unfriendly to people that like to modify games; it hides names of files as well, like INI and EXE. I tried to configure it so it wouldn't, and despite the fact that I clicked the proper settings, its seems that it refuses to change.

Windows XP was the best version IMO.

Kontra Kommando said:

it hides names of files as well, like INI and EXE. I tried to configure it so it wouldn't, and despite the fact that I clicked the proper settings, its seems that it refuses to change.

If that failed for you, you did something wrong. After unchecking the 'hide known extensions' option (the most stupid thing Microsoft ever did) it works fine.

Graf Zahl said:

If that failed for you, you did something wrong. After unchecking the 'hide known extensions' option (the most stupid thing Microsoft ever did) it works fine.

I have to figure it out. I had it working properly before, as I set it, but then I had to re-install my OS after a major upgrade.

I want Windows 7 back. At least my desktop has it. My laptop was ruined by Windows 8, and it even forced me to hack GFWL to make it even run Batman Arkham Asylum.

If MS ends up going bust and splits up into different companies, I'd love to see a strong traditionalist fork of Windows emerge out of the mess that's been created. A true successor to Windows 2000, without all the noise, interface dumb-downs, and API deprecations/removals, but updated to include newer APIs as well.

I like the minimal UI design better than the current Windows 7 glossy Aero look. There are several inconsistencies, however. Most notably, the system icons are still aero-y and don't match the aesthetic they're going for.

I like Aero, and I'd honestly rather use the classic theme (that's still an option, right?) over that theme. Parts of the classic theme look lousy in Win7, but it's still better than that.

Doesn't really matter, just install Start8 or ClassicShell and you fix the start menu problem anyway. To be honest if it weren't for the start screen bullshit Win8 would be a decent upgrade from 7. I still use 7 though because I don't feel like upgrading. Maybe check out SteamOS once comes out.

I've been using Windows 8 on 3 different computers; 2 laptops and my new stationary computer. The oldest computer has a few problems with a missing display driver, but other than that it works fine. Before this I used Windows 7 which I changed to from XP back in 2010 I believe. We also use Windows 7 at work, but I'm pretty sure Windows 8 will be rolled out for new computers soon. Anyway. I see no reason to go back. Not from 7 to XP or 8 to 7. I actually even like the design in 8 more than 7 (and XP). Windows 8 for me is faster, more reliable and cleaner design than its predecessor(s). Sure, I hardly use the tiles and I'm pretty much always in desktop mode, but I don't see it as a problem either. I don't miss the start button at all. What do you use it for?

I just have to put in my own 2 cents on the Aero interface. I like it. It looks nice. I think it was stupid to remove it in favor of monotone square boxes with no contrast and invisible controls everywhere. It flies in the face of any established UI guidelines ever created.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I like Aero, and I'd honestly rather use the classic theme (that's still an option, right?) over that theme. Parts of the classic theme look lousy in Win7, but it's still better than that.

i have windows 8, and classic theme isnt there and tbh i dont see the need for it.

ive seen allot of people complain about the missing start button, i have always felt that the start button was somewhat pointless, especialy on older windows versions (XP and older) it would eventualy become a cluttered mess and be in the way. atleast thats how i feel about it, i have used win 8 for almost half a year and so far i am satishfied,

Quasar said:

I just have to put in my own 2 cents on the Aero interface. I like it. It looks nice. I think it was stupid to remove it in favor of monotone square boxes with no contrast and invisible controls everywhere. It flies in the face of any established UI guidelines ever created.

Exactly. I find it hard to see an I'm unwilling to use it for that reason alone.

Quasar said:

So why did Apple go the same route with iOS 7 then? Instead of nice contraty controls it's all flat and monotone?

I always wonder why redesigns so often end up in a total failure.

mr fiat said:

i have windows 8, and classic theme isnt there and tbh i dont see the need for it.

ive seen allot of people complain about the missing start button, i have always felt that the start button was somewhat pointless, especialy on older windows versions (XP and older) it would eventualy become a cluttered mess and be in the way. atleast thats how i feel about it, i have used win 8 for almost half a year and so far i am satishfied,

Still better than an unorganized screen that covers all the stuff you work on. The Metro start screen has two serious problems:

- no organizational structure.
- it's fullscreen.

It's not the UI design I don't like, it's the mere fact that it gets in the way of normal work.

Graf Zahl said:

So why did Apple go the same route with iOS 7 then? Instead of nice contraty controls it's all flat and monotone?

I always wonder why redesigns so often end up in a total failure.

they tried stylish and simple, and it is indeed that until you add in 3rd party application icons that screw the whole aesthetic.

me, I prefer ugly and functional. I will be sticking with XP until this whole 'make my laptop work like a fucking cellphone' craze has died a well-deserved death.