Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

GRB's Impossible maps

New project idea:

Since people are liking my very hard non-slaughter maps I came up with this idea. I'm going to try to make maps with gameplay so hard, it is actually impossible, it is going to be the job of the doomworld community to prove me wrong and that they are possible.

I won't do anything stupid like put walls in front of exit doors, or not give you a key you need or anything stupid, just well thought out fights that are so brutal, you guys give up.

how about something involving spawn shooters? I'm thinking a level without an actual IoS fight but rather a level that has a lot of monsters (non slaughter style) plus X spawn shooters that constantly spawn monsters throughout the level.

another idea:

perhaps ghost monsters? for instance a huge wall of chaingunners with archviles for each one. the archviles cannot attack or be attacked but they can resurrect any dead chaingunners. Should the player make it to the end of the level (or area), they can press a switch to perm kill both the archviles and chaingunners.

This could be interesting, if the only way to complete the map would be TASing it. That's just my idea to explain impossibility in the right way.

This is a better idea than "you need cheats to beat it" and could make a fun community project. Playtesting would be interesting though... because you have to verify somehow that it is beatable, yes?

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I said non slaughter

Is it still considered slaughter if the player gets no weapons, though? :P

Pure Hellspawn said:

another idea:

perhaps ghost monsters? for instance a huge wall of chaingunners with archviles for each one. the archviles cannot attack or be attacked but they can resurrect any dead chaingunners. Should the player make it to the end of the level (or area), they can press a switch to perm kill both the archviles and chaingunners.

This is a good idea. What about ghost Pain Elementals? And you only have a rocket launcher. That should be interesting.

Ribo Zurai said:

>level starts
>open first door
>256 archviles say hello

That's the formula. (aka Chillax)

Set to -fast monsters and you will be leaving the Solar System within 1 month.

Xaser said:

Is it still considered slaughter if the player gets no weapons, though? :P

256 Archviles, and you are given the exact number of bullets required to kill them with your peashooter, assuming minimal damage with every shot and no misses. Have fun!

Somehow I don't think that's quite right. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some use for the blue key? :p I could throw you the FDA but it's basically a dozen deaths and then an accidental exit the same way Revved did it so it's pretty worthless.

I was TASing the map to find possible routes and same thing happened for me. Nevertheless, the map is very difficult if you go through the blue door.

Not impossible enough: UV-Max

Seriously though, that was pretty damn difficult. My hands were shaking when the last Cyber died, I was sure I'd botch it completely with the last four Archies somehow. Yeah yeah I abused the shit out of the BK door but what can I say, I'm an opportunist. This was survivalist strategy all the way through anyway so... For example you could just as well use all the cells on the Cybers and then just punch the Archies while they're stuck in the circle but I didn't want to risk it. Cute HOM above the blue door btw.

Maybe we'll call it the "almost impossible maps community project" then. I'll make another, first gotta finish the last map of "A dark place" though. That could be a contender for this thread too btw.