Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kotzugi

Looking for some nice maps for demo recording

Hey there Doomers

So I'm relatively new on the scene, and I'm still checking out what kind of maps I can reasonably do on either UV Max or UV Fast. I was wondering if you guys could make a few suggestions, just to help me get on my way (no spoon feeding required).

A bit of background (skip if you want): So far, I've mostly done maps of The Rebirth on either UV Max or with -fast. At first it was Max only but I realized that I'm having a hard time beating the Vlad's times (maybe later). But I like to push myself so I completed a few maps on -fast (between 1 and 10).

Rebirth maps are mostly small and not so hard, so I thought this was a good way to start. But I also like to play bigger more epic maps so I did map 20 of Doom 2 Reloaded, which was also not very hard.

(reread from here) Rebirth is a cool mega WAD but I'd also like to be more involved with maps using newer texture packs and features (> complevel 2). For example, Sunder is absolutely gorgeous but currently too difficult/long. Something like Community Chest 4 might be more up my alley.

TL;DR Looking for map sets that have:
- Great looks with variety (archetypes: Deus Vult 2, Sunder (more?))
- at least a few epic fights
- medium to big but not huge maps (not a 100m or 200m sprint but not a marathon either)
- medium to reasonably hard but not quite on the level of say Sunder, perhaps touching the easier levels of the Hell Revealed maps (perhaps not as much since I like to play on -fast)
- Slaughter maps? Sure, if there's not too much repetition and it's not too difficult.
- no Brutal Doom shit or any other heavily modded stuff (slightly modded is OK, although I do like Ultimate Torment and Torture)
- doesn't have to be brand new or anything.
- I also don't mind much if it already has lots of demos but it would be nice if I can still contribute in some way.

I'm planning to continue demoing The Rebirth but I like some variety once in a while. Hence the above.

Apart from suggestions, maybe also mention how you go about to find nice new maps to play. Scout the forums? Randomly browse DSDA?

Maybe we can use this thread to give others some tips as well. Don't know if there's already one. Write down your playing style and what kind of content you're looking for and maybe somebody can give a few nice suggestions.

Thanks

Kotzugi said:

- Great looks with variety (archetypes: Deus Vult 2, Sunder (more?))
- at least a few epic fights
- medium to big but not huge maps (not a 100m or 200m sprint but not a marathon either)
- medium to reasonably hard but not quite on the level of say Sunder, perhaps touching the easier levels of the Hell Revealed maps (perhaps not as much since I like to play on -fast)
- Slaughter maps? Sure, if there's not too much repetition and it's not too difficult.
- no Brutal Doom shit or any other heavily modded stuff (slightly modded is OK, although I do like Ultimate Torment and Torture)
- doesn't have to be brand new or anything.
- I also don't mind much if it already has lots of demos but it would be nice if I can still contribute in some way.

OK, based on this, I recommend:

doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15550]Plutonia 2
doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16429]Plutonia Revisited
doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12492]Vile Flesh
doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15852]Heroes' Tales

This ones are similar to The Rebirth, IMO (i.e., medium levels, not too hard):

doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11848]TVR
doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16721]Doom The Way ID Did
doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11657]2002: A Doom Odyssey

Hope this helps. Happy recording.

Thanks Zed, I'll check those out. I did play already some Vile Flesh and I think Plutonia 2 (although I'm not sure, definitely played the first one).

Should also have mentioned that I'm not that much into Doom/Ultimate Doom maps. However if it looks great, I might give it a shot.

Edit: Sadly, PL2, PL Revisited and Hero's Tales crash with lots of lines saying something like

R_InitTextures: Missing patch 539 in texture A-BROWN3
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 546 in texture A-ROCKR_InitTextures: 81 errors

on my PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.2 (on my Mac, that's probably it).

I will try and think of a few wads which lack demo activity which are pretty decent
Jenesis - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16640
Reverie - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16630
Base Ganymede (that are quite a few I didn't max) - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16694
I guess I should add this one too, it's recently released and frankly I would love to see some demos on some of the maps :)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17267

^Did you run the wads with the correct IWad (PL2/PRCP with plutonia.wad and HT with tnt.wad)

Cheers for the suggestions cannonball.

cannonball said:

^Did you run the wads with the correct IWad (PL2/PRCP with plutonia.wad and HT with tnt.wad)

Oops. Thanks for that. I knew about plutonia.wad and tnt.wad but I can't remember the last time I had to use them. But I'm almost sure I played the original Plutonia. (just tested and now it works)

I can't really offer any specific megawads, since I don't usually play megawads in their entirety, but what I sometimes do to look for a new map to speedrun is use the random file generator on /idgames and see what I can find to speedrun. I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but it's just a general suggestion for something you could do to find levels that have little or no speedruns on them.

Thanks for that. For others reading here, it's also easy to spot on the DSDA for multiple WADs at a time how many demos they already have, since the count is given in a table (see here for example). Of course, it may be that a given WAD has few demos because it's crappy. :) But at least on /idgames, there is more information available, such as ratings.

Played Speed of Doom, it's awesome, great stuff. Worth playing it again just for fun. I think it's been covered quite well though in terms of demos. Haven't played the Epics but I've seen some of Tatsu's UV Fast runs (of Epic 2). I wouldn't bet on beating that any time soon. :) Haven't played the first one. Some nice ideas anyway.

This wad (City of Doom) fits the description of "what you like" IMO. It has demos by me, but they are pretty old and not too fast.

Nice! Had a quick iddqd+idclev romp through the first ten or so levels and I like it. The music is weird, not in a bad way though. It's just very different from your typical hard rock MIDI effort. It's definitely nice to hear something original. Whether or not it always fits the atmosphere though I'm not yet sure.

Interestingly, at some point (round about map 13 or so) it reverted back to the old Doom 2 maps but the new textures such as the starry sky remained, as well as the new music (not always)! So it seems I can't play all of the maps unfortunately (PrBoom+ here, on a Mac).

I also completed Epic in the meantime, very nice but too short, and a BFG was lacking. Fortunately there's nr 2 to look forward to.

Just some random nonsense: I found out that I can play quite a bit using my touch pad. Weird huh. Still a bit more trouble aiming than with the mouse, but practice makes perfect and I can run around quite fine. If I ever get arthritis or something in the future, that may be an option to consider. :) (No I'm not that old, only 32. Well I guess that's kinda oldish for this crowd?)